• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

World The Thor Comics Recommendations Thread

1 Detective Comics 853 $3.99 DC 104,099
2 Flash Rebirth 1 $3.99 DC 102,421
3 Wolverine Weapon X 1 $3.99 Marvel 97,888
4 Dark Avengers 4 $3.99 Marvel 95,846
5 New Avengers 52 $3.99 Marvel 93,967
6 Batman Battle For The Cowl 2 $3.99 DC 89,113
7 Hulk 11 $3.99 Marvel 82,719
8 Justice Society of America 26 $2.99 DC 81,193
9 Green Lantern 39 $2.99 DC 79,785
10 Thor 601 $3.99 Marvel 79,620

Wow, 80k is a bit of a drop for Thor. I wonder if the novelty of the new series wore off or something. I hope Thor isn't heading back down to his old home in the 40s and 50s again. :csad:

Comics in general have dropped about 10% vs previous so being in the top 10 is what counts. However; as a whole (comics & TPB) are up in terms of in terms of sales worth. Marvel's best selling books also bumped up a dollar to $3.99, Thor starting from #600.

Thor #12 sold 73, 774 copies
Thor #11 sold 78,663

For April 2008, Thor #8 sold 91,963 copies to place 7th in the top 10. Note that for April of this year, the 7th place Hulk #11 sold 82,719 copies.

I do agree that the series will begin to drop off, but with the Siege of Asgard crossover and the movie coming out Thor has been raised up to another level. No 40s or 50s. :woot:

Last edited:
You have to admit, SELLING OUT the 13th issue is still quite a feat compared to most of the other volumes.
You can't compare TODAY's comic sales to Sales in the late 70's and 80's. THEN for the most part there were many people out there just trying to make a quick buck. The area I lived in North of Chicago had basically three towns together. In those three towns alone were FOUR different Comicbook shops.
The one in MY town, the owner would wait a WEEK after a new book hit the stands, then double the price and put it into the Back issue boxes! He didn't last to long.
Walt Simonson's run were part of those books he'd try to get extra cash from.

I want to know how many book from the other runs sold out as many times as THIS run of Thor, because each generation adjusts what they print to over all sales and interest. Granted you have the Thor movie coming out but during the 70's Thor had hit the tv screen in the Hulk movie, and I don't recall any Thor issues selling out.

Question:

Are Thor volumes 1 & 2 TPB appropriate for an 11 year old turning twelve? It's for a birthday gift and I'm talkin' bout the JMS run.

Is it a little too violent/dark/mature?

Need input please!

Well there isn't bloody violence for that matter there's probably THREE whole actual fights in those issues. I'd let my Son read them he's 13.

Yeah, there's not a lot of blood or gore in JMS' Thor comics. There's not a ton of fighting, but usually when there is, it's light on blood. Some of the interpersonal politics in the Asgardian court may go over younger kids' heads, but for a 12-year-old, I think it's fine. Who knows, that child may come back to it in 5 or 10 years and appreciate it on new levels.

Make sure you keep the kids away from the Ages of Thunder one-shots, though. There's all kinds of blood and gore and sexual themes running through those. Thor throws his hammer straight through a giant's head in one scene and you actually see the blood and gray matter spilling out everywhere. It's very, very visceral.

Hey Thor fans! I've never read a Thor story in my life...

Is this a good place to start?
If you want to know alittle of the Background of Thor, YES that is a GREAT read. Tales of Asgard predates Thor's banishment to earth.

If you want to see how Thor was banished pick up the Ages of Thunder TPB,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785135677/?tag=yahhyd-20&hvadid=58584898011&ref=pd_sl_38b0chh6mc_b

Another book that leads into what Corp mention the "JMS vol one", pick up Thor Disassembled TPB. It basically Ends Kirby and Lee's Asgard, and also has to most powerful incarnation of Thor called Rune Thor.

Is "Thor: Son of Asgard" worth checking out or not? I haven't heard much about it, but I don't wanna spend money on it if it's crap, y'know? :D

I got the first volume of JMS run, It's a great read, I love it! Especially the fight with Iron Man, thought that was just epic.

Yes. It's a great coming-of-age story and it fleshes out the friendship between Thor, Sif, and Balder a lot. Plus it actually has Valkyrie interacting with other Asgardians, which is a rarity for some reason.

I ordered Thor: Son of Asgard Vols 1-2, and also Thor Vol. 2 (JMS run) Can't wait to read them! :D I'm also looking into Avengers Disassembled: Thor. From what I've read this one is pretty mixed. Would you recommend it, Corp? (Or anyone else)

Yes I mentioned "Thor Disassembled" to "The Bruce"
It also goes by the "Ragnarok arc". I loved it. Like I said above, not only is this the trade that leads into the new Run, it holds the most powerful incarnation of Thor, we call "Rune Thor".

I would definitely recommend Avengers Disassembled: Thor. It's not particularly tied to the main Avengers Disassembled event (which was good for me because I hated Avengers Disassembled). Instead, it reveals some new information about the nature of the gods, which leads to Ragnarok.

Do I need to read anything else before hand to understand Avengers Disassembled: Thor? Thanks for responding guys :D

Hmm. Well, you could read a whole lot of stuff that comprises what we fans have taken to calling the "King Thor Saga," but you don't really need to. Basically, all you really need to know is that Odin died battling Surtur and Thor became king.

Do I need to read anything else before hand to understand Avengers Disassembled: Thor? Thanks for responding guys :D
Not really. Thor Disassembled is pretty much a story to it's self.
The King Thor trades are great reads too if you want to hunt them all down.:woot:

Here's a book every Thor fan should have in their library.

the Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley Holland.

Personally my fave version of the translations of the Prose Eddas.

Never heard of it. I've tried reading several translations but I've never made it too far into them. I'll give that one a try. :up:

That one is the best. Kevin does the Myths some justice. It's easy to read, he explains alittle of how he translates and lists what he uses to translate.
I'm curious about the Russian variation of the Viking myth's. I've heard there are books just not sure of the titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"