• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Villains Problem

kguillou

Avenger
Reaction score
So, I believe in the years since The Dark Knight, we have had a villain problem. This isn't exclusive to one studio, I believe Marvel AND DC and Fox and Sony etc. etc. have consistently had a hard time bringing compelling, memorable, formidable villains to the screen to oppose the protagonists. So what's the problem?

Since 2008, we've had about 25 CBMS, out of those CBMS, only Loki, General Zod, Winter Soldier and, I would say, Fassenber's Magneto have really only left an impression. Everyone else has been so throwaway, so forgettable and just there to cackle at the hero or heroes. Why are the screenwriters having such a hard time writing compelling, menacing villains? Or is it the screenwriters? Is it the actors themselves who just aren't landing the material? Or perhaps, the focus is put squarely on the heroes in these movies altogether and the villains are an afterthought?

What are your guys' thoughts? Or is there no problem at all, in your opinion and maybe its fine that the villains serve a functional purpose?

There's no problem at all. Most villains had clear motivations and served their purpose in the movies. Of course there are times, when it doesn't work out as good as it could have. Malekith, Zod, Luthor, Apocalypse etc. But those are exceptions and not nearly enoughto speak about a problem per se

Yeah, they tend to be forgettable, but I think they serve their purpose, so it's fine.

Marvel movies are generally focused on the hero, and spend a lot more time on their arcs and development, so there's just not much time to make an interesting villain. Which means in the end, you have a generic antagonist, but a more solid protagonist so I think it works out.

A lot of times the only reason a villain is interesting anymore is because the actor behind him is interesting.

So, I believe in the years since The Dark Knight, we have had a villain problem. This isn't exclusive to one studio, I believe Marvel AND DC and Fox and Sony etc. etc. have consistently had a hard time bringing compelling, memorable, formidable villains to the screen to oppose the protagonists. So what's the problem?

Since 2008, we've had about 25 CBMS, out of those CBMS, only Loki, General Zod, Winter Soldier and, I would say, Fassenber's Magneto have really only left an impression. Everyone else has been so throwaway, so forgettable and just there to cackle at the hero or heroes. Why are the screenwriters having such a hard time writing compelling, menacing villains? Or is it the screenwriters? Is it the actors themselves who just aren't landing the material? Or perhaps, the focus is put squarely on the heroes in these movies altogether and the villains are an afterthought?

What are your guys' thoughts? Or is there no problem at all, in your opinion and maybe its fine that the villains serve a functional purpose?

Hmmmmm, it's a fine line. If you have a villain who's too compelling or interesting, they risk taking over the film. Batman 1989 was as much the Joker's movie as Batman's- whereas Nolan carefully avoided that, and while TDK's Joker is the very pinnacle of cbm villains he doesn't own the entire film, and it's Batman who stays centre stage.

Interestingly, Zemo is clearly IMO the best villain of 2016, and he does it all with very little screentime. He doesn't steal scenes but certainly enhances them with his presence.

A lot of times the only reason a villain is interesting anymore is because the actor behind him is interesting.

There's a lot of truth in that - look at the villains who have been compelling and then look at the guys who played them (which of course suggests that we haven't had a really good cbm villainess in a long time).

On a similar note, my all time action movie favorite villain is Hans Gruber, and that comes down solely to Rickman's amazing performance (but again, while he steals every scene, McTiernan prevented him from taking over the movie, and it's still very much John McClane's story). I put Ledger's Joker and Rickman's Hans on the same sort of level, as a performance that transcended the film.

I think Daniel Bruhl, with more screentime would have come close.

I would also put a bit of stock into the character themself -e.g. Magneto is probably the most compelling comic book villain of all time, so once you put even a half decent story in front of him, and get a top-notch actor - which has definitely been the case - well it's hard to go wrong (at least with the villain, although Malekith would be a clear exception to that, as he was massively underwhelming).

I'm interested to see how this year's crop of Marvel villains turns out:
- one would think Cate Blanchett couldn't go wrong as Hel in Ragnarok, with
Karl Urban in support as Skurge.

- not sure who the GOTG villains are, but as in the first film they'll be overshadowed by the heroes themselves.

-Michael Keaton can do villains well, so I think he'll be more than adequate in Homecoming, as the Vulture.

I don't really want to go into the DC villains , as they're struggling to make even the heroes compelling.

Anyway, will any of the villains above put in an iconic performance like Ledger's Joker or Rickman's Hans ? - in fairness to Loki and Magneto, while they've been great they have had multiple appearances to develop their respective characters , while Ledger had only a single brilliant film to work with -

I doubt it - I don't think any of the films they're appearing in are weighty enough to allow for a truly transcending performance (okay, Die Hard isn't that weighty) - sure they'll be good and nasty, but nothing we'll look back on
in a decade and fondly reminisce about.

Finally, the guy who's missing from this thread so far is Mark Strong, who's spot on portrayal of Sinestro was the only good thing in that stinker Green Lantern - IMO a sequel would have been worth it just to see Strong tear it up as Sinestro, I feel he was robbed of a real opportunity there.

Oh wait, even more finally, the best example of simply functional villains was in Dr Strange, which I loved. I think because it was an origin film and the focus has to be on Strange it was fine to have Kaecillius be a pretty two-dimensional character, let's hope Ejiofor gets a bit more to play with in the sequel. Although having said that Loki was brilliant in the first Thor film.

Guess there's an exception for every rule.

Bane was an excellent villain and better than any of the MCU and DCEU villains IMO. He should not be left out of any list when it comes to the best CBM villains.

Bane was an excellent villain and better than any of the MCU and DCEU villains IMO. He should not be left out of any list when it comes to the best CBM villains.
Poison Ivy's henchman?

Hardy's Bane was a fantastic villain. One of the best.

As far as the villain problem, I think there are really two things that I see repeated over and over again that hold them back. They either a) don't make them threatening enough and/or b) give them all sorts of annoying quirks in an attempt to copy Heath Ledger's Joker. It isn't just CBMs either. Films in general have had a real problems with great villains lately. All the best villains these days are on television.

Maybe someone can help me, but I'm having trouble thinking of truly great movie villains that have come out since 2012 when we had the likes of Raoul Silva and Calvin Candie. I miss the days not that long ago when every year we would get characters like Anton Chigurh, The Joker, and Hans Landa.

Shannon's Zod has been the best CBM villain since Ledger's Joker. Hardy's Bane is right up there with them.

Everything else has been average to bad.

Shannon's Zod has been the best CBM villain since Ledger's Joker. Hardy's Bane is right up there with them.

Everything else has been average to bad.

Zod was good IMO, but I am interested to know what makes you put him up there with Bane?

Zod was pretty mediocre. He was okay, nothing else. If he was a Marvel villain, he'd be in the middle of pack. He's just another generic hardline army guy, bred/raised for combat. Nothing new there and the performance by Shannon too loud and cheesy. He was a poor man's Quaritch from Avatar.

Now the Stamp Zod. That was a great villain.

Maybe someone can help me, but I'm having trouble thinking of truly great movie villains that have come out since 2012 when we had the likes of Raoul Silva and Calvin Candie. I miss the days not that long ago when every year we would get characters like Anton Chigurh, The Joker, and Hans Landa.

Patrick Stewart's Darcy in Green Room

Hardy's Bane was a fantastic villain. One of the best.

As far as the villain problem, I think there are really two things that I see repeated over and over again that hold them back. They either a) don't make them threatening enough and/or b) give them all sorts of annoying quirks in an attempt to copy Heath Ledger's Joker. It isn't just CBMs either. Films in general have had a real problems with great villains lately. All the best villains these days are on television.

Thats a good question. Dane Dehaan was a great, tragic villain in Chronicle. Uh, lets see....this is probably controversial but I thought Cumberbatch was excellent as Khan.

Zod was good IMO, but I am interested to know what makes you put him up there with Bane?

Zod was serviceable. He spends most of the movie being a b**** to the Els and then gets himself killed. Performance was good enough though.

Bane had a disapointing ending but he was great overall.

When you think about it, what makes a good, memorable villain? Someone unique, likable, and a solid foil for the hero. In other words, someone well written.

My favorite film villain is Hannibal Lecter. Certainly likable, very smart, with a unique character, but his on-screen presence is mesmerizing. Hans Gruber also one of my favorites. And both villains are portrayed by excellent actors who sink their teeth into their material.

So why have comic films struggled with villains? I blame the acting and the writing. As far as comic book heroes go...Loki, The Joker, and Zod all fall within the category of being well written characters with solid actors behind them. But the others fail usually due to a lack in the writing department. They just serve as rudimentary necessities usually to bolster up the hero or the plot, but lack unique and likable qualities that make them stand apart from "Standard Movie Villain Guy".

Thats a good question. Dane Dehaan was a great, tragic villain in Chronicle. Uh, lets see....this is probably controversial but I thought Cumberbatch was excellent as Khan.

Agreed, wished BC would do more villain roles - I thought he did the overall concept of the "overman" good service in ST:ID (although the whitewashing thing is difficult to ignore).

He had the low frequency sinister delivery and physicality the role needed - although what the character really lacked was the past history with Kirk, which was the whole raison d'etre for a compelling revenge story - but that's not BC's fault.

I suppose they could have picked one of the other madmen from ST TOS for him to portray, but regardless he was a great villain.

I thought he was good as Smaug as well.

Kylo Ren was a really good recent villain for me. I enjoyed Apocalypse also personally, thought he was a very good villain. But overall I agree, the villains lately, seemingly more so in CBMs, are lacklustre.

Donald Pierce looks like he could be a good one in Logan though, have liked what I have seen if him so far.

The problem nowadays is there's too much of an imbalance between the good guys and the bad guys. By having the focus being so much on the heroes you're not allowing the films to reach their potential. I agree Immortan Joe is the only bad guy of the last few years to actually be memorable. It's not just a case of him looking evil, it's about his presence. Bane was the same, he wasn't in a particularly polished film but his presence was undeniably felt. The biggest issue with the bad guy is they don't feel threatening. They might serve the story, but that's all they do, you never feel like they are unbeatable or will prove challenging. Without threatening villains the story is too far in favour of the hero, he/she winning is all but guaranteed.

This is w very needed discussion. All villians seem very throw away. I don't remember any of the villians outside of Apocalypse for last year's batch and it wasn't because he was especially compelling just because he b was the most well known of them beforehand.

All villians these days seem to come off very one dimensional to me.

This is w very needed discussion. All villians seem very throw away. I don't remember any of the villians outside of Apocalypse for last year's batch and it wasn't because he was especially compelling just because he b was the most well known of them beforehand.

All villians these days seem to come off very one dimensional to me.

Apocalypse is more well known than Lex Luthor and the Joker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"