Homecoming The Zendaya is possibly someone, maybe thread - Part 4

You got that from under 5 minutes of screen time? She's quite bloke-ish in the film. Mary Jane is at least feminine. I got none of that from Zendaya's Michelle.

It's an opinion of course, one I don't agree with because at this point there's so little we know about the character Michelle, to make such a claim is rather ridiculous. But when the author makes such comments as these (see below); your opinion of the 'Michelle' character being 'better' is now flawed and uninformed because you don't have a basic, fundamental understanding of the character to which she's being compared.

She was always more in love with Spider-Man than the man behind the mask. And that’s how it’s always been in Marvel’s comics, too.

MJ has always been the girl next door, who’s still, somehow, too far out of Peter’s league for her to be anything other than a wet dream.

It's an opinion of course, one I don't agree with because at this point there's so little we know about the character Michelle, to make such a claim is rather ridiculous. But when the author makes such comments as these (see below); your opinion of the 'Michelle' character being 'better' is now flawed and uninformed because you don't have a basic, fundamental understanding of the character to which she's being compared.

I agree.

it's no wonder that author likes Michelle better than Mary Jane when the author has such a flawed, misguided impression/interpretation of Mary Jane.

Last edited:
It will hard to accept her as MJ, no matter what they do in the sequels, she wasn't presented to us as MJ or Mary Jane, we were told she was.

I'm hoping for more from this entire situation. I want to know why she wants to be called MJ. I want to actually be convinced this was a clever writing choice.

Is Michelle her middle name? "Mary Jane Michelle Watson"
Is Mary Jane her middle name? "Michelle Mary Jane Watson"

Is Zendaya playing a weird joke on the AcDec team because a new girl is starting at Midtown named Mary Jane Watson?

Seriously, I dont understand this move in the slightest and I want to understand.

]I think Michelle might be this series' version of MJ, b[/B]ut I think there still might be a chance of MJ turning up, most likely depending on the success of these movies.

Might be cancelled after 2 movies, or might go onto 5.

Depends.

Wrong. She isn't Mary Jane. She isn't a Jane. Neither she is a Watson. She is a MJ. What the J entails is a different story altogether. I think that the way that Spider-Man is getting set up in the MCU, literally spearheading Phase Four just like Iron Man 3 spearheaded Phase 2 puts Spider-Man in a comfy position as one of the MCU's main players going forward. I do think that MJ, Gwen, Harry, Norman and Miles will eventually show up. Will it be in the first MCU trilogy? Up for grabs. But I honestly can't see a scenario where Spider-Man in the MCU fails, Feige and Marvel Studios are positioning him to go big after Infinity War.

didnt they say somewhere that the J in MJ stood for Jones? she's Michelle Jones. granted that isnt listed in any of the official credits but the Jones name drop came from Geek journos.

also you guys think about the big picture-- Michelle is a new creation by Marvel, so Marvel holds the rights to this character. Sony cant touch it. if for whatever reason the Spidey rights gets messed up again, at least Marvel has Michelle, who is a thinly veiled Ultimate Gwen Stacey, played by the very popular Zendaya, who can lead a new franchise into a SpiderGwen-ish type story.

big picture guys. big picture.

of course the Marvel strategy doesnt end there. they're not giving up Spidey without a fight, lawyers be damned. hell theyre pretty much "fencing in" Spiderman from Sony by making him a cornerstone of Phase 4. plus Tom Holland is proving to be a very viable commodity the likes of RDJ.

didnt they say somewhere that the J in MJ stood for Jones? she's Michelle Jones. granted that isnt listed in any of the official credits but the Jones name drop came from Geek journos.

also you guys think about the big picture-- Michelle is a new creation by Marvel, so Marvel holds the rights to this character. Sony cant touch it. if for whatever reason the Spidey rights gets messed up again, at least Marvel has Michelle, who is a thinly veiled Ultimate Gwen Stacey, played by the very popular Zendaya, who can lead a new franchise into a SpiderGwen-ish type story.

big picture guys. big picture.

of course the Marvel strategy doesnt end there. they're not giving up Spidey without a fight, lawyers be damned. hell theyre pretty much "fencing in" Spiderman from Sony by making him a cornerstone of Phase 4. plus Tom Holland is proving to be a very viable commodity the likes of RDJ.

I don't care what is said at press junkets. The fact is that Michelle didn't get a last name either in the film OR the credits. It was conspicuously absent. I still think she is more related to the Jamesons than she is to the Watsons.

I didn't see her last name anywhere in official materials.

Yeah I'm not sure where the name Jones came from.

Some article whose source I'm not recalling at the moment. They reviewed Homecoming.

Some article whose source I'm not recalling at the moment. They reviewed Homecoming.

As long as she doesn't have an actual last name in the film, either within credits or the film itself, all we know is that her first name is Michelle and her second/last name starts with J.

^why does the "J" even have to be for her last name... it was just a nickname given to her by friends not an official title

the J could be for her middle name, she could be a junior (girls can be a "junior" too, why not) in that scenario maybe towards the begin of the movie she was estranged from her mother and towards the end reunited with her (off screen) and therefore embraced the name, more... is there any other characters in Marvel named Michelle that she could named after? that could turn out to be her Mom

or for that matter since it isn't an "official title" it could not even be related to a name at all... could stand for something completely different

yeah..... was it Collider? CBR? Comicbook.com? cant remember ... :csad: its not Nerdist im sure of that, but yeah its an online article that i read in passing, and it is a MAJOR Geek site. its not SHH because then i wouldve headed straight here and freaked out about it.

new quote from Zendaya

Here, she is talking about why she didn’t think she would land the role of Michelle.

“A lot of time, the thought process of an actor of color is ‘I’m going to go and give it my best shot, but they are probably not going to go with an actor of color for this,’” says Zendaya, who is biracial. “We all think it. I didn’t know they were going to switch up the characters and really cast the best people for the roles, instead of what’s most like the comic book. I think that was the coolest part for me, knowing they embraced the diversity.”

huh? what? if Michelle is this supposed original character, why would Zendaya be afraid she wouldn’t get the role because of her race? an oc would most likely not have a preexisting race, but the comic book counterpart would. more evidence that Michelle is “MJ” or some character from the comics we still don’t know about.

yikes!

new quote from Zendaya

Here, she is talking about why she didn’t think she would land the role of Michelle.

“A lot of time, the thought process of an actor of color is ‘I’m going to go and give it my best shot, but they are probably not going to go with an actor of color for this,’” says Zendaya, who is biracial. “We all think it. I didn’t know they were going to switch up the characters and really cast the best people for the roles, instead of what’s most like the comic book. I think that was the coolest part for me, knowing they embraced the diversity.”

huh? what? if Michelle is this supposed original character, why would Zendaya be afraid she wouldn’t get the role because of her race? an oc would most likely not have a preexisting race, but the comic book counterpart would. more evidence that Michelle is “MJ” or some character from the comics we still don’t know about.

yikes!

hmmmm...........

new quote from Zendaya

yikes!

She may not have known who she was auditioning for and assumed it was Mary Jane or Gwen. Sometimes they don't reveal the character until further into the process. When Emma Stone auditioned for Gwen she thought she was auditioning for Mary Jane.

I think Michelle started out as a version of Mary Jane, but they made so many changes during the process that the character wasn't actually Mary Jane any more.

That doesn't really add up with one of the original writers saying they always intended for her to be a reinvention of comic MJ. Seems like the only thing that may have changed is what they decided to call her.

I don't know about the Tilly Keeper thing, remember that? She followed Holland on social media, and he did the same with her. I think she auditioned for MJ.

What a massive letdown! Especially with all the mystery surrounding her, she was a waste. Obviously this was to set her up in the next film but she added nothing to this one. She was intended to be comic relief but her humor was dry and did not work at all. She really didnt fit in with the other character as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"