• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

"They're Attacking Me Because I'm White!"

Lightning Strykez!

Former Mod On Pension Pay
Reaction score
webFerraro.jpg

"They're Attacking Me Because I'm White!"

By Lightning Strykez!​

The above is the latest response tonight from Ms. Geraldine Ferraro--who earlier today made some racist comments that has Hillary Clinton's camp spinning like a top. I'm not going to write an article specifically on her comments; the works of other writers have covered it sufficiently.

However, interestingly enough, this is not the first time that Ms. Ferraro has made similar statements about a candidate of color: In the April 15, 1988 Washington Post, she said "If Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race."

Sound familiar? *coughBillClintoncough* :whatever:

Other Republicans and anti-Obama supporters have leveled similar complaints. Even our own Matt has stated as such. So considering how relevant these concerns are, I believe it raises an interesting question for discussion: Is Barack Obama really getting over because he's black? Is he getting a pass?

Here's a counter-point to such accusations from Ms. Ferraro: I believe a strong case can be made that Obama still would have experienced such a meteoric rise--if not possibly faster--had he been white--which is quite the contrary to Ferraro's moronic statement. Why?

Well, look at history.

People seem to be forgetting that Obama is 46, not 36. He's got every bit as much raw brain power as Bill Clinton and arguably more skill as a speaker and "stumper" than Bill possessed as a candidate. Bill was a year younger than Obama when he first ran for office. And let's be frank here: White men with Obama's talents are often recruited for statewide offices as entry-level elected positions--not state legislature positions. Now, had Obama been a white Harvard Law Review president with oratorical skills to die for, his trajectory might have been state attorney general (Bill's first elected office), then governor, then presidential candidate. But how did things work out for Obama as history bears out?

He had to start his electoral career in a state senate district with a high African American population, because those demographics would bet on a black statewide candidate. Here's something else to keep in mind: People often forget the stunning fact that since Reconstruction this country has seen only 3 blacks elected to governorships. In addition, only 3 blacks have been elected to the US Senate.

So really. :o

Is Barack Obama truly getting a free ride because of his skin color? Seems to me that the opposite is more true. And I believe that certain Republican luminaries and members of Hillary's "Kitchen Sink" attack squad are stroking the flames of racial bigotry on the eve of these important upcoming primaries--because it is the only way they can damage this candidate's run.

What do you think?

You really didn't think I wouldn't devote an article to one of my favorite moderators, did you? :heart:

[BLACKOUT]The verbiage doesn't look so good when it's coming from someone else's lips, does it? ;)[/BLACKOUT]

comicgirl laughing herself into a hernia
Yeah, I'm sure Geraldine knows about getting followed around stores while shopping and getting pulled over on Friday nights for DWB's (driving while black). Must be hard.

Race didn't even have to be brought into the issue. Surprised she didn't say, " how dare that uppidy ***". You get the picture. Sad.

If Barack Obama was white, there's no way he'd be where he is today. His ethnicity plays a major part in his inspiring back story. If he was without it, I don't think he'd even be pondering a Presidential run at this time, let alone would he be in a position to become the next President of the United States.

You really didn't think I wouldn't devote an article to one of my favorite moderators, did you? :heart:

[BLACKOUT]The verbiage doesn't look so good when it's coming from someone else's lips, does it? ;)[/BLACKOUT]

I've never claimed that Obama is only winning because he is black. I have claimed several of his supporters know nothing of him and are voting for him because he is (which is true). I think for Clinton to play the "I am being discriminated against because I am white," card is ridiculous, however, as several of her supporters vote for her only because she is a woman.

Hell, I think the three people in this election cycle who can play this card with some validity are Bill Richardson, John Edwards, and Joe Biden. Unlike Clinton and Obama, all three had clear messages that actually supported why they should be president and all three were snubbed by the media (Biden and Richardson were ignored where as Edwards was portrayed as if he never had a chance to begin with despite his high polling) because they did not have the right skin color or sexual organ to be rockstar candidates.

If Barack Obama was white, there's no way he'd be where he is today. His ethnicity plays a major part in his inspiring back story. If he was without it, I don't think he'd even be pondering a Presidential run at this time, let alone would he be in a position to become the next President of the United States.

Agreed. Same with Clinton though, if she didn't have the right last name.

The historical runs of other governmental officials with similar track records (sans the skin color denominator) does not support your argument. The parallel I drew between Bill Clinton and Barack Obama is an example. And would it be fair to say that Hillary wouldn't be where she is today had it not been for the fact that she shared a bed with Bill?

I mean come on...she's a senator for New York and she's not even from here. :rolleyes:

The historical runs of other governmental officials with similar track records (sans the skin color denominator) does not support your argument. The parallel I drew between Bill Clinton and Barack Obama is an example. And would it be fair to say that Hillary wouldn't be where she is today had it not been for the fact that she shared a bed with Bill?

I mean come on...she's a senator for New York and she's not even from here. :rolleyes:

One could argue though, that Obama would've never reached the level of prominence he did were it not for his skin color. What launched Obama into the national spotlight? His keynote address at the 2004 convention. It would've never happened if he were a young, white, congressional candidate. Don't put it past the Democratic party to parade a young, charasmatic, handsome black man simply on the grounds of him being just that. If he tried to run against Hillary as a young, white senator who no one has ever heard of, he would be crushed. Why? Because the media, unlike any election before this, created these rockstar candidates based on their minority status, and there would be only one. Clinton.

Hillary Clinton wouldn't be where she is today without Bill Clinton. I think everyone can agree to that.

But Obama would not be considered so inspiring if he was your run-of-the mill white guy. Let's face it: His ethnicity gives him a great backstory. It makes him a symbol of the American dream. His campaign would have fizzled months ago if he was your typical midwestern white Senator with a Harvard education and as short a Senate resume as he has. Obama does, in some respects, represent the 'hope' of the American dream, and he has given many people the 'hope' they are looking for in a President. That's part of his appeal, and his race and background plays into that just as Hillary's last name plays into her campaign.

Hillary Clinton wouldn't be where she is today without Bill Clinton. I think everyone can agree to that.

But Obama would not be considered so inspiring if he was your run-of-the mill white guy. Let's face it: His ethnicity gives him a great backstory. It makes him a symbol of the American dream. His campaign would have fizzled months ago if he was your typical midwestern white Senator with a Harvard education and as short a Senate resume as he has. Obama does, in some respects, represent the 'hope' of the American dream, and he has given many people the 'hope' they are looking for in a President. That's part of his appeal, and his race and background plays into that just as Hillary's last name plays into her campaign.

Okay.

So is that a bad thing? Because that's the negative that these opposers (i.e. Ms. Ferraro) are attaching to his ethnicity.

One could argue though, that Obama would've never reached the level of prominence he did were it not for his skin color. What launched Obama into the national spotlight? His keynote address at the 2004 convention. It would've never happened if he were a young, white, congressional candidate. Don't put it past the Democratic party to parade a young, charasmatic, handsome black man simply on the grounds of him being just that. If he tried to run against Hillary as a young, white senator who no one has ever heard of, he would be crushed. Why? Because the media, unlike any election before this, created these rockstar candidates based on their minority status, and there would be only one. Clinton.

I respectfully disagree.

Bill Clinton reached such a level though Matt. As well as John Kennedy. These men--along with other Presidents--possessed such charisma and incentive for "change". And the media outlets of their time ate it up too. They were the original "media darlings" Matt. History moves in cycles.

In other words, Barack's message is nothing new. He just looks different from the others. If the packaging were different there is no indication that he wouldn't be where he is today.

I respectfully disagree.

Bill Clinton reached such a level though Matt. As well as John Kennedy. These men--along with other Presidents--possessed such charisma and incentive for "change". And the media of their time ate it up too.

In other words, Barack's message is nothing new. He just looks different from the others. If the packaging were different there is no indication that he wouldn't be where he is today.

John Edwards is charasmatic and preached a MAJOR message of change (especially for the middle class). He was shot down by the media. The media would've ensured Clinton the nomination if not for a more appealing minority popping up. I could see Obama maybe running for the presidency in 2012 based on his charisma and message, but lets face it. A senator with barely 3 years experience would not be in the spot light for the presidency were it not for the media putting him on a pedestal, which they did because of his skin color.

Is Barack Obama truly getting a free ride because of his skin color?

I'm not sure about a "free ride," but I think his skin color is part of the reason why he's become so popular--putting a black man in the White House is definately a form of Change that his supporters frequently talk about.

Oh, and Lightning--your avatar? FUNNY. AS. HELL. :woot:

Okay.

So is that a bad thing? Because that's the negative that these opposers (i.e. Ms. Ferraro) are attaching to his ethnicity.

Geraldine Ferraro didn't attack him because he is black. I think the media made her comments out to be far more negative than they really were.

Obama's race isn't a bad thing. Neither is Hillary Clinton's gender. The bad thing is when you have voters who vote for one of them purely on race or gender, which I've come across among some of my friends as well as some posters on this forum. I can't tell if Mrs. Ferraro was addressing that... her comments were too vague... but I do not think his heritage makes him any more or less qualified to be President.

Realisitically of course it ihas, but it has nothing on the effect being a former first lady has had on Hillarys.

They are the same on issues, same actual expirience, he owns her in speaking. If yu made him white and her just a simple senator, hed kill her.

The HRC camp should jump for joy that he ain't white. If he was he would have crushed here on ST. The comments were and are racist, the HRC camp so no other option but to play it the way it has been played. Is the media/public more exited because Obama is black? Yes they are, it's true. The people have NEVER in american history seen a candidate the likes of Obama. Now imagine him being white, being able to speak and think the way he does and think what that would imply. Yes, a new Bill Clinton would stand tall. So to say he only got where he is now because he is black it totally absurd...and racist.

As if black men in America have it easy. :whatever:
What a joke.

The HRC camp should jump for joy that he ain't white. If he was he would have crushed here on ST. The comments were and are racist, the HRC camp so no other option but to play it the way it has been played. Is the media/public more exited because Obama is black? Yes they are, it's true. The people have NEVER in american history seen a candidate the likes of Obama. Now imagine him being white, being able to speak and think the way he does and think what that would imply. Yes, a new Bill Clinton would stand tall. So to say he only got where he is now because he is black it totally absurd...and racist.

As if black men in America have it easy. :whatever:
What a joke.

I think you're waaay over-estimating his importance. Sure, he's charasmatic...several candidates have been. Sure, he is preaching a message of "change" (whatever that means). Practically every politican ever has. Outside of his skin color, Obama really is nothing new.

I'll say it, yes, he is a black man who has gotten the farthest in a candidacy in this country than any other. He's a breath of fresh air for a lot of people. The young set and the female set view him as someone that will speak for them, which may be true according to their stances.

I'll say it, yes, he is a black man who has gotten the farthest in a candidacy in this country than any other. He's a breath of fresh air for a lot of people. The young set and the female set view him as someone that will speak for them, which may be true according to their stances.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Especially the young set you speak of. They expect Obama's election to lead to some kind of revolution where the second he takes office flowers grow in the middle of January, unicorns start running around, and we all join hands singing. Obama, for all of his messages of change, regardless of how valid his intent is, will still be stuck within the system. Both the media and himself have lifted him onto an unrealistic pedestal which I think may cause a lot of disenchantment when his actual presidency really isn't that different from the standard and that could very well lead to him being a one term president.

I think you're waaay over-estimating his importance. Sure, he's charasmatic...several candidates have been. Sure, he is preaching a message of "change" (whatever that means). Practically every politican ever has. Outside of his skin color, Obama really is nothing new.

We both know that, Matt. But look at the young vote going on, look at the people he is bringing to the table, people who have long been unnoticed or just uninterested and now to bring up race although sutble again and again is just pathetic. And this whole notion that he has gotten a free ride is just bogus. The media did not see this coming because they did not expect him to run this far let alone be in the lead. And then to state he isn't ready yet is ready to be a runnig mate? If there is anyone where he/she should be right now it HRC. She was the front runner before this primary even started and she is running behind and trying to hit him anyway she can and this is a new low, even for democrats. Oh and I like what Pelosi said on the whole topic to state that Mcain is ready, she is ready and he is not. Pathetic. She'd bring a fellow democrat down and put a rep. up? WTF? And then Ferroro shouts I'm being attacked because I'n white, wtf? WTH is going on here? PATHETIC! :hehe:

I get the feeling more and more the HRC camp is playing "race" to get the white vote away from him. Like: See he gets all the black vote, he's "black", people wake up..vote for me I'm ''white'', ohh and he's muslim here's a picture...see?? :whatever:

Nothing but fear, diversity and lies. This is the most pathetic primary I have ever followed.

Being a young, charismatic, handsome white man is so 20th century. His race definitely give him an advantage. But I'm going to add another layer to this racism cake. I think the fact that his is half black and half white is what really gives him the advantage. He's white enough for white people to feel comfortable voting for him, and black enough to make them feel warm and fuzzy inside because they can say they "looked past" his race. I don't know if that makes any sense to anybody else :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"