Things You Want To See With This Reboot That Never Has Been Done Before?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What are things from the comics mythos or just ideas in general that have never been done before on film that you’d you like to see?

For me, Clark Kent seeing the life force of all living things(which is an idea from Birthright).

- Maggie Sawyer.

- A more aggressive and cocky Clark Kent/Superman who’s more like the original, Champion Of oppressed! Golden age version of the character.

- A more futuristic Metropolis with some distinctive personality.

- I would also like it if they took a page from Superman: TAS and made Brainac be responsible for the destruction of Krypton.

Last edited:
Maybe Mister Mxyzptlk. He has appeared in some of the TV shows, but not any movies. He is a more fun villain with lower stakes than planet conquerors like Steppenwolf, Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod, etc.

It is more than likely that a new origin story would have Lex Luthor though. But they could have Lex work with some of the more obscure villains.

What are things from the comics mythos or just ideas in general that have never been done before on film that you’d you like to see?

For me, Clark Kent seeing the life force of all living things(which is an idea from Birthright).

- Maggie Sawyer.

- A more aggressive and cocky Clark Kent/Superman who’s more like the original, Champion Of oppressed! Golden age version of the character.

- A more futuristic Metropolis with some distinctive personality.

- I would also like it if they took a page from Superman: TAS and made Brainac be responsible for the destruction of Krypton.

I want to see him at times forget his strength and just tear through a desk or wall like it's foil...

I also want him to have a really emotional day where he hears everything and can't keep up.... having to learn to focus and I guess chose what he does... that's conflicting right there.

I want to see him land in a foreign country as a a massacre is about to begin and literally stop it all.... just as I guess we all would if we could.

I legit would love him to fly by a kids tree house and just pop in and say hello... then go join a basketball game in the bronx...

I really want them to put us, in superman's shoes... so what we watch him do, as a young adult is exactly what we would do... go fly over a stadium and sneak in to watch a game, I liked in L&C where he flew and got fresh Chinese food, like have fun with being superman.

I would love him to actually just walk straight into the white house and show the president that superman is indeed America's greatest line of defence but also a keeper of peace...

- Brainiac. Superman will never reach his full potential on film unless he’s also given some members of his classic rogues gallery besides Lex. Zod doesn’t count because he’s barely had a presence in the comic books but the movies seem to think he’s Kal-El’s arch enemy.

- Maggie Sawyer. DC films have done better than Marvel as of late in terms of LGBTQ representation, and they should keep that ball rolling. Maggie is a great character and it would be great to see her working with Superman on a case.

- Jimmy Olsen, Ron Troupe and Pete Ross. Superman needs friends in his life other than Lois and his mom. The closest thing Snyder gave us to two of these characters was a CIA agent getting shot in the head and a guy calling Clark “d*** splash” who later becomes IHOP product placement. Let’s do better next time.

Deep space exploration. One thing we’ve never seen in a Superman film is him exploring an alien world or taking on an intergalactic fleet or enemies. Let’s see that. Superman doesn’t always need to be earth bound.

I want his powers scaled right back.

I was watching The Batman and I want this reboot to be in that universe... sure, they don't have to meet, but I want it to align.

Superman would be very hard to have as he is typically presented... a few changes for sure.

I'd scale him back to either TAS levels, where he struggles a little, or even back to that action comics run from early new 52, where bullets "hurt" or "sting" and electricity is painful. But obviously still keep a good level of super strength, speed, and flight.

I'd scale him back to either TAS levels, where he struggles a little, or even back to that action comics run from early new 52, where bullets "hurt" or "sting" and electricity is painful. But obviously still keep a good level of super strength, speed, and flight.

Honestly, I think it may be fun to have him not as evolved... he can leap tall buildings in a single bound... that lends itself to some great shots... bullets, hurt, like you said, but don't penetrate..
He gains more across the trilogy... the first movie he can be an urban legend... a rumour, a hoax? He's not god, he can't hear cries 24/7, he's a freakishly strong human, that can jump onto the roof of a sky scraper, he has great vision and hearing...
Learning more about who he is and krypton - he works at the daily star, dates Lana back in Smallville.

It's like at school he was the perfect jock, the all rounder and his abilities and strengths unlike everyone else continued - due to more solar exposure.

Second movie he can fly, super breath x ray etc

3rd is prime superman

That way, the first movie leans heavily on clark Kent the person and learning what to do with these powers.. that to me is a fresh take and for those that like classic superman, there is room to fill the movie with the classic tropes..

For instance, it's a rain day, he saves someone he works with... he recognizes her but she doesn't recognizes him, his hair is slicked back, spit curl, so he goes into work the next day wearing shades, a cap, then evolves into glasses and different mannerisms as he doesn't want her to recognize him... and she never does... she eat superman once and her memory is distorted so much that's he can't see him sat opposite her.

I do like the jeans and t shirt look for superman too, for this one movie.

Maybe taking it all the way back to the Golden Age is what this character needs. Those early stories were pretty grounded, and it wouldn’t be as hard to make that type of Superman align with Reeves’ Batman.

Intergang- give the production a chance to do some cool weapons instead of guns we know won’t hurt him.

In the wake of the Batman, I wouldn’t mind an actual newspaper style investigation that runs through the story. Something that Clark and Lois have time to bond over. Maybe take them out of Metropolis and met some other characters even if they aren’t quite superheroes. Like Ray Palmer or Oliver Queen.

Update the Daily Planet as more of a multimedia institution. Lois can still be a print edition reporter but have Jimmy in the digital realm. Cat Grant as a tv anchor…

Last edited:
Maybe taking it all the way back to the Golden Age is what this character needs. Those early stories were pretty grounded, and it wouldn’t be as hard to make that type of Superman align with Reeves’ Batman.

I do, I think this is necessary and I think to start, he literally has to be like this

The_New_52.jpg

He can say he wears the cape for the kids...

Intergang- give the production a chance to do some cool weapons instead of guns we know won’t hurt him.

In the wake of the Batman, I wouldn’t mind an actual newspaper style investigation that runs through the story. Something that Clark and Lois have time to bond over. Maybe take them out of Metropolis and met some other characters even if they aren’t quite superheroes. Like Ray Palmer or Oliver Queen.

Update the Daily Planet as more of a multimedia institution. Lois can still be a print edition reporter but have Jimmy in the digital realm. Cat Grant as a tv anchor…

I really do like the idea that these days, they can all work at the DP but not even meet - zoom calls and meetings and once a month meets etc, until they get assigned together - it's a new angle of them working together but not actually being together - they could have a working relationship via text... emails, even like ear pieces.

They can literally reinvent superman without changing a thing, if they base him on early versions..

The leaping over tall buildings gives good flight visuals, he can leap away, leap into action... also it doesn't mean that he has to be a hero 24/7..

I’m really down for a Golden Age grounded Superman after The Batman. I’d actually be down for grounded takes on Jay Garrick and Alan Scott as well. Those early stories are great, and I think DC should spend some time developing those characters more instead of leaving them behind.

Would anyone else be interested in an Earth Two starting with The Batman, and leading to Golden Age inspired movies/tv for Superman, Jay Garrick, and Alan Scott? It’s a bit out there, but I have always loved the iconography of the Earth Two JSA? I see a grounded version of this team being able to actually work with Pattinson’s Batman. Naturally the Golden Age has some exceptions where there are extremely unrealistic situations, but those early Superman, Flash, Batman, and Green Lantern stories are pretty grounded IMO compared to what came later. It would be really cool to lean into Earth Two, but I doubt Reeves and co are interested in anything like that until The Batman universe has been more established.

There’s something to be said about being the OGs…

84C98ED1-F92B-4EB2-967B-1063C0375719.jpeg

Fine, but let’s not have Superman in a T-shirt and jeans with a cape. That is the stupidest look they ever gave him.
I think you mean the best costume in years.

It’s his version of Daredevil’s black costume. Before he full on becomes Superman it’s just a guy in some work boots kicking in doors.

Make it look like a guy who grew up working class instead of the Smallville clean cut version.

I do think the t-shirt/jeans combo works out for a Superman just starting off. Just about the execution
It totally makes sense... he's not going to want to wear a costume, in his younger years, it's about doing the rescue, defending someone, getting out... without getting caught on social media or the news. Think about it, what does he know of his alien heritage, does he trust this government.. he wears a t shirt under his clothes, rip them off - he's good to go...

Now, a cape? I don't think he has a cape straight away but there could be a very poignant scene where he saves a child and the child is like - you need a cape, you're a super hero! kind of thing..

My personal idea, for a reboot, is that he as a teenager is like the most advanced athlete ever, he enjoys sports and excels, but he doesn't push himself, he's never needed too, so he doesn't actually know how strong he is, he's modest too...

His eyes are also so sensitive, it's like he has over perfect eyes, so he wears glasses to kind of reign it In, as a teenager, he needs to control things - not in a bad way, but like a normal hormonal teenager.

The first movie, he's late 20's and he does feats around smallville, he confides in Lara - then, one evening, there isn charity wrestling match - he's involved and he wears the Kirk Allen super suit - he has a mask too. Other people are in other suits, Mexican style, it's fun, a typical fundraiser event.
Before Clark is about to enter the ring, as he's about to put on his mask, he hears and feels the vibrations of a train going too fast, in a neighbouring town... he can't explain it he just knows, so he's compelled to go go there.. he looks at Lana, explains, then opens a window and jumps out, takes massive strides and leaps, 100's of feet at a time, bursting over the horizon... he see's the train and catches up with it, it's an old tour train, he can see it's out of control, he is on top of a carriage, he retro suit looks amazing in action, the steam bellowing out and almost encases clark in an atmospheric fog, at this point fire trucks are ahead clearing the town, putting sound bags and barriers to protect, fearing the worst, hoping for the best... as the train turns a corner, those in the back can see the front carriages and clark on top...he jumps onto he connectors, separates the carriages, they instantly slow down... just left is the engine - clark jumps off and races against the vintage engine - it looks epic, dust and debris fly, then, clark gets infront, the tracks buckle, wood splintering off... the crew can see this red and blue object slowing down the train... he eventually stops it - media and bystanders take pictures, as a helicopter circles, - the broad shoulders and red cape, yellow s is visible as he turns around, to reveal an out of breath clark... his hands tremble with adrenaline, his chest heaving... clark suddenly focuses and realizes he needs to leave - he composes, is polite... semi salutes the fire chief from afar and bursts into the twilight sunset and dips away.

The media use that image, that's superman.. metropolis as an example starts selling blue t shirts with a cape for kids and tourists - all neighbouring cities do... why not? it's a gimmick and easy money - like big foot.
Clark then lays low.. worried a knock on his door will come, it never did... he resumes his heroic feats, a kid asks him, where is his cape? so it makes him think... also, Lana comes back from the city and is like, never guess what they are selling...shows him a caped t shirt... he thinks its just perfect and uses it... we follow him as he gets job offer at the daily planet, he currently works at the daily star.. and yeah the rest is history.

Fine, but let’s not have Superman in a T-shirt and jeans with a cape. That is the stupidest look they ever gave him.

If we’re doing a proto-suit, the filmmakers should look to American Alien for inspiration. It’s a cape and a t-shirt, but there’s a little more to it:

superman-aa.jpg

Plus it could be a fun nod to the existence of The Batman in this new continuity. “That nut in Gotham…”

Superman-American-Alien-5-Panel.png

I think you mean the best costume in years.

It’s his version of Daredevil’s black costume. Before he full on becomes Superman it’s just a guy in some work boots kicking in doors.

Make it look like a guy who grew up working class instead of the Smallville clean cut version.

Do working class people wear capes with their casual clothes? I think the T-shirt and jeans look is fine for a Superman just starting out but adding the cape makes him look silly. There’s no need for it. It looks like he was starting to change into his costume but got interrupted halfway through and just had to roll with it.

Last edited:
If we’re doing a proto-suit, the filmmakers should look to American Alien for inspiration. It’s a cape and a t-shirt, but there’s a little more to it:

superman-aa.jpg

Plus it could be a fun nod to the existence of The Batman in this new continuity. “That nut in Gotham…”

Superman-American-Alien-5-Panel.png
I like this more for a flashback scene as a superboy, teenage years attempt..

Some of the responses in this thread are... People really shouldn't let the positive reception towards a Batman movie influence or dictate the tone/direction of a new Superman project. That's precisely the kind of thinking that led to MOS and then ultimately the ****show that came after that.

Do working class people were capes with their casual clothes? I think the T-shirt and jeans look is fine for a Superman just starting out but adding the cape makes him look silly. There’s no need for it. It looks like he was starting to change into his costume but got interrupted halfway through and just had to roll with it.

I feel like clark needs multiple suits.. but how it works in the movie is a whole different thing.

The t shirt look is the early years, basic look... he's not public, he's a normal guy working and happens to be able to detect danger and he can help nearby.. why the blue t shirt and red s? Well, it's his old gym t shirt Lana made for him... it's just what he wears, he likes it. Also, he's not saving 24/7... it's like 1/2 saves every other day.. his job as a reporter exposes him to corruption and he goes in a after hours and fixes things..

It's all about the execution but for this, clark is in smallville, there is a part where he is involved in the annual charity wrestling match, it's a carnival scene.... backstage before clark fights, he tries on his wrestling suit... it's literally the Kirk Allen suit, complete with a mask... it's as surprise as kids are there and the fight was exhibition.

Anyways, nearby a runaway train is reported and clark hears it.. like spider senses... he tells Lana he has to go... she's like wait, you look ridiculous - he's like, perfect, they won't recognize me..

suffice to say the social media and news reporters capture it at a distance.

Local cities and vendors pick up on this and they sell t shirts, blue t shirts, with an s and cape.... touristy thing...

so clark is like, good, job done, I will wear that... happy medium... the cape is for the kids too... it's for effects.

No Lex Luthor or General Zod. Okay, maybe a little bit of Lex Luthor—but not as the primary antagonist.

Personally, I’d love to see Metallo and Toyman in a Superman movie. Both can be interesting visually onscreen and present vastly different threats to Superman.

As much as I’d like to see Brainiac onscreen, it’s too soon for another invasion-level threat. Save Clark’s origin / Krypton / Brainiac for a sequel.

And I agree with an earlier post that Lois and Clark (and Jimmy!) should have a story they’re investigating throughout—perhaps a Luthor / Metallo connection? Or maybe Metallo is a product of Project Cadmus with teases of sequels.

I’d also like to have John Henry Irons included. No Steel. Yet.

I think The Batman is a good example of being faithful to the intent of the characters while also taking an opportunity to modernize them with respect. I think The Riddler is a good example of adapting a villain of his nature to the modern day, in a way that was coincidentally and unfortunately relevant reflective of IRL villains the past couple of years.

Man of Steel was a half baked attempt at "modernizing" Superman. Tbh the only modern thing about it was the the fact that the nationalistic iconography aspects of Superman were masked in a newer, shiny way behind tanks and tanks. Everything else that we're used to seeing was either still there with that new coat of paint, or worse yet absent.

Taking a moment to bring him back as a hero for the people, as a literal social justice warrior, instead of a rock em sock em robot feels like a natural way to address "what does being a hero today" look like and should naturally lead to bountiful character work, the same kind of work that made The Batman so sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"