• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

This generation's Star Wars

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
For a lot of time there has been talk about what's the new star wars, the franshise that work for young people and adults alike and whose cult following is reminichent of the star wars.
Before it was released many fans believed the Star wars prequel trilogy would be this generations Star Wars but when the Matrix was released many changed their opinion.
The Lord of the Rings is by many said to be this generations Star Wars but while i think it's the best trilogy i don't think it's for everybody, in least not exactly the big thing that Star Wars was for kids.
Halo is also regarded as this generations Star Wars, and some believe Avatar and the Green Lantern will be, what is your opinion?
I think that harry potter's following is pratically this generations star wars.

Last edited:
There really isn't anything in recent memory that has had the cultural impact of the SW trilogy. The prequels added to it's legacy but there is no way they could supercede the originals. LOTR was stunning but the story was 50+ years old and familiar to most people who saw it.

I think Harry Potter is close to that and the films that when i was younger i think were almost for me like the star wars movies were for some, were harry potter and spider-man, and now Nolan's Batman

The correct answer is the Lord of the Rings.

I don't think the lord of the rings really counts, Star Wars was actually that generations Lord of the Rings.

This thread was brought up a few years ago when Pirates 2 - 3 were coming out. LOL

Seriously, if you are talking about a movie that changed cinema, reached millions of fans and embedded itself in popular culture, there is no "this generation's Star Wars" and there might never will be.

Matrix, LOTR, Pirates, etc. Some of them excellent movies (who am I kidding, just the first Matrix and LOTR) but in a few years, none of them with the lasting significance of Star Wars.

I still see Star Wars referenced in other media, such as music, tv and movies. While, movies like the ones I mentioned were spoofed in other movies, because they were released just a few years ago, let me know if they are still referenced 3 decades later.

Actually i'm talking about a story or something in general that catches that significance, or i wouldn't put halo would i?

But that's not what you said in the first post.

For a lot of time there has been talk about what's the new star wars, the franshise that work for young people and adults alike and whose cult following is reminichent of the star wars.

And one the reasons for Star Wars success is it's relatable story (Thank you Hidden Fortress), simple themes that woven together against a space backdrop made it appealing to multiple generations.

Star Wars is the Babe Ruth of blockbusters. Sure there are Albert Pujols of this time but everyone remembers Babe Ruth.

You also have to remember Star Wars came out at a different time. Before the internet, before cable TV and VHS hit it big.

If you want to talk about what's the current popular franchise or something, but Star Wars is just a different breed and it's unfair to compare any recent set of movies against it.

But that's not what you said in the first post.

And one the reasons for Star Wars success is it's relatable story (Thank you Hidden Fortress), simple themes that woven together against a space backdrop made it appealing to multiple generations.

Star Wars is the Babe Ruth of blockbusters. Sure there are Albert Pujols of this time but everyone remembers Babe Ruth.

You also have to remember Star Wars came out at a different time. Before the internet, before cable TV and VHS hit it big.

If you want to talk about what's the current popular franchise or something, but Star Wars is just a different breed and it's unfair to compare any recent set of movies against it.
I'm trying to discuss in general what people think that was for them the star wars of their oun generation, like what made you and your friends love and talk without stoping, awaiting for the next instalment.

I think it MIGHT have been The Matrix (although I don't like this movie that much), real life people were wearing trench coats and sunglasses, "We live in the matrix" became some sort of catchphrase. And it appeared shortly before the internet became mainstream. Then with the sequels they kinda destroyed this.

All the the stuff that gets released these days is quickly forgotten. But by the end of the 80s Star Wars had also been forgotten.

I voted Halo and Harry Potter.

I wanted to give Pirates a vote but come on, no one is going out buying Pirates toys and shirts.

I think its an insult to call it this generation's Star Wars but clearly the answer is LOTR.

I dont even know what Halo is.

Without a doubt it's Lord of the Rings.

Halo is a video game...not really sure why its on the list

But idk its either LOTR or Harry Potter. I think probably Harry Potter

I'm trying to discuss in general what people think that was for them the star wars of their oun generation, like what made you and your friends love and talk without stoping, awaiting for the next instalment.
But, what I think is funny that every time a series of movies come out especially a Trilogy, it's always brought back to Star Wars.

When the Matrix, or LOTR, or Pirates came out, I saw threads on here or other places on the internet where the same question was asked.

If you have to keep asking the question when a new series of movies comes out, maybe there really isn't.

Last edited:
It's Harry Potter. Harry Potter has sold a ton of books, has a theme park, and has movies that gross over 300+ million each time to build a billion dollar franchise. Even kids at college play Quidditch.

I don't think anything can be called that. Star Wars had an IMMEDIATE, permanent, widespread impact both in culture and in the way movies are made. Nothing has had quite that. I'd say Avatar comes the closest, looking at the innovation of visual effects and moviemaking, the impact of 3D, and it's box office take. However, I don't see the cultural impact it has had. LotR has enjoyed critical success, and has done a great job of permeating pop culture, but still not on the scale that Star Wars did.

I think the option for Marvel Universe hits the nail, but only slightly. Comic book movies as a genre have really teamed together to become our Star Wars. Marvel kicked it off with Blade in 1998, and stormed into relevance with X-Men in 2000. Ever since, we have seen a whirlwind of comic/superhero/graphic novel franchises. If I to pick from just one of those franchises, it'd be Nolan's Batman trilogy, pending the release and response to The Dark Knight Rises. I think what we'll see next summer, if the quality is there, is a release mirroring Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the King all rolled into one.

Might I raise you a Transformers :wow:

And Batman Begins did change the filmmaking world by starting the whole reboot-remake-reimagining-rewhatever craze

Last edited:
It's Harry Potter. Harry Potter has sold a ton of books, has a theme park, and has movies that gross over 300+ million each time to build a billion dollar franchise. Even kids at college play Quidditch.
Yeah I'd agree with that. HP is this generation's Star Wars

Might I raise you a Transformers :wow:

And Batman Begins did change the filmmaking world by starting the whole reboot-remake-reimagining-rewhatever craze
Well, there are crazes/trends/fads, and then there are permanent changes. Star Wars affected permanent change (blockbusters, special effects, summer tent-pole movies, etc). Remakes and reboots have been around, especially for serials and franchises. Right now, there are just an abundance of them. I personally divide cinema history into pre- and post- Star Wars. Nothing's come out recently with an impact of that magnitude. Like I said, I think Avatar may be the closest thing, but that will need to be judged in a decade to see the permanence of 3D in cinema and home theater.

I just don't see Avatar as being a brand like Star Wars. Yeah the movie did gangbuster but does it sell tons of books or action figures? No. JK is rolling in the cash like Georgie because Harry Potter is a brand. Clothes, toys, books, theme park, music, etc. Look at the wand...it is comparable to the light saber in many ways in that kids today want them to be like Harry Potter. What can they buy to be like Jake Sully?

Now it seems in here that people are looking at this two different ways: what effect the movie had at that time and what effect the movies have had over time. I am looking at it from the latter. However, Star Wars is still bigger than Harry Potter. I really don't even know if anything will ever match Star Wars.

I really like the Harry Potter movies, and I'm looking at it through the cultural aspect and yes while HP is extremely popular now and has been in the 10 years they've been out, what will happen years from now?

JK will either begin releasing more books to expand the universe and movies will then be made or they will reboot the films.

I think JK has already said she is working on another book not related to Harry Potter but in the same universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"