This Is The Drug War

Prohibition law which causes Marijuana to be illegal is wrong, why would our own government arrest its own citizens and residents for smoking a plant. It's the law but come on its not humane. People should be arrested and put in jail for violent crimes like rape or fights. Its not right that people are being given criminal records for smoking a plant safer than alcohol.

and that is a matter of perspective, not legality....as the law is written...marijuana (without a medical prescription in some states) is against the law

Prohibition law which causes Marijuana to be illegal is wrong, why would our own government arrest its own citizens and residents for smoking a plant. It's the law but come on its not humane. People should be arrested and put in jail for violent crimes like rape or fights. Its not right that people are being given criminal records for smoking a plant safer than alcohol.

Doesn't change what I challenged about the original post. Not disagreeing with your points.
Im sure someone will come on here and talk about the weird and pointless laws that exist all over the United States. Like in Michigan a woman cannot cut her hair without permission of her husband. (www.dumblaws.com if you want a laugh or 2). However, many of these laws and unenforceable and/or were made to pay homage to something and arent criminal.

While I respect your decision to not drink or do drugs, it really limits your knowledge of the subject. You really don't personally know the effect alcohol has. A violent person is a violent person drunk or sober, the fuse might be shorter when drunk, chances are though, the guy already had the plan to get into a fight that night before he started drinking.

I don't think one has to personally know the effect that alcohol or drugs have to see and understand it. If someone sees enough bad/traumatic events that involve alcohol or drugs, they can make some sort of intelligent assessment of its effects. Kind of like you dont have to be caught in a hurricane to see the damage it causes once its all clear. I know thats a bit simplified, but I hope you get my point.

I agree with you that usually alcohol or drugs simply increase the person's behavior, but if the person had not used anything, there may have been less of a chance of anything bad happening, even if they have a short fuse or something similar.

Last edited:
Doesn't change what I challenged about the original post. Not disagreeing with your points.
Im sure someone will come on here and talk about the weird and pointless laws that exist all over the United States. Like in Michigan a woman cannot cut her hair without permission of her husband. (www.dumblaws.com if you want a laugh or 2). However, many of these laws and unenforceable and/or were made to pay homage to something and arent criminal.

I don't think one has to personally know the effect that alcohol or drugs have to see and understand it. If someone sees enough bad/traumatic events that involve alcohol or drugs, they can make some sort of intelligent assessment of its effects. Kind of like you dont have to be caught in a hurricane to see the damage it causes once its all clear. I know thats a bit simplified, but I hope you get my point.

I agree with you that usually alcohol or drugs simply increase the person's behavior, but if the person had not used anything, there may have been less of a chance of anything bad happening, even if they have a short fuse or something similar.

That's why I am encouraging everyone here to vote for legalization. I understand the law is there, but we need to revisit this law and make changes so it blends with the modern times.

That's why I am encouraging everyone here to vote for legalization. I understand the law is there, but we need to revisit this law and make changes so it blends with the modern times.

While I agree that there are some pointless laws that should be done away with because they dont blend with modern times (laws regarding slaves and such), this imo is not one of them. Yes, there are a LOT of people that smoke weed, but I dont think that is cause for us to legalize it.

While I agree that there are some pointless laws that should be done away with because they dont blend with modern times (laws regarding slaves and such), this imo is not one of them. Yes, there are a LOT of people that smoke weed, but I dont think that is cause for us to legalize it.

Why do you think marijuana should remain illegal? If you yourself know that people are being arrested for breaking a law again and again, why wouldn't you vote for a big break in the lives of many. The hemp industry is going to benefit this country in many ways, lets push cannabis towards legalization.

Why do you think marijuana should remain illegal? If you yourself know that people are being arrested for breaking a law again and again, why wouldn't you vote for a big break in the lives of many. The hemp industry is going to benefit this country in many ways, lets push cannabis towards legalization.

because, as americans, we don't care about things that don't affect us personally...I have a friend who smokes up every day, but he knows if he gets pulled over, he's toast

I dont see why the part I put in bold above would come into play on this. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say there, but if someone keeps getting arrested again and again for doing the same thing, that they know will land them in jail, then the problem is their stupidity.

I agree that there would be many benefits to making marijuana legal. I wont deny that. But it clearly isnt all going to be summed up in the taxes to be earned and all either.

In my area, to my knowledge, there are not a lot of arrests generated on someone being caught with just 1 joint or something similar. And when those types of arrests are made, those people get probation and a fine the VAST majority of the time (mostly depending on their criminal record). Also, typically the person who is caught with enough marijuana to be considered in possession with intent to distribute/trafficking will get it reduced to felony possession and they too, will get a probated sentence (again, record based).

I dont know where you live or how strict the laws are, but in my area, you have to be a VERY big time dealer/sell multiple drugs/have a bit of a criminal record to actually do prison time for anything related to marijuana.

I dont see why the part I put in bold above would come into play on this. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say there, but if someone keeps getting arrested again and again for doing the same thing, that they know will land them in jail, then the problem is their stupidity.

I agree that there would be many benefits to making marijuana legal. I wont deny that. But it clearly isnt all going to be summed up in the taxes to be earned and all either.

In my area, to my knowledge, there are not a lot of arrests generated on someone being caught with just 1 joint or something similar. And when those types of arrests are made, those people get probation and a fine the VAST majority of the time (mostly depending on their criminal record). Also, typically the person who is caught with enough marijuana to be considered in possession with intent to distribute/trafficking will get it reduced to felony possession and they too, will get a probated sentence (again, record based).

I dont know where you live or how strict the laws are, but in my area, you have to be a VERY big time dealer/sell multiple drugs/have a bit of a criminal record to actually do prison time for anything related to marijuana.

By eliminating prohibition we can get rid of all these problems.

So we shouldn't arrest or prosecute drug dealers?

Well, if it becomes legal, then yes. Because they would be useless.

So there are specialty dealers now? I was under the impression that they tended to diversify. Either way, I still don't think it should be made legal, and I haven't heard any reason to change that opinion.

Yeah - everyone wants dealers to set up shop near schools rather than have legitimate suppliers who have to work for a salary.

So there are specialty dealers now? I was under the impression that they tended to diversify. Either way, I still don't think it should be made legal, and I haven't heard any reason to change that opinion.

Why don't you think pot should be legal?

you shouldn't be driving under the influence of anything....period

No i don't think drug dealers should be prosecuted. They are providing a service at a risk. Just legalize marijuana so people can smoke it freely!

http://hailmaryjane.com/marijuana-and-driving/
^---- check that out!

Safer than alcohol.

:whatever::whatever::whatever:
Wow. Now Im going to have to say that is ignorant or stupid. The majority of drug dealers deal in multiple drugs (ecstasy, cocaine, meth, etc), not just marijuana, as safe as you think it is and as legal as you think it should be. Much of the violent crime in this country is directly related to drug dealers-drug deals gone bad/gangs fighting over drug turf/ etc.
To say that they are "providing a service at a risk"... WOW.

IMO. Drig Addicts who commit non-violent crimes, should not be imprisioned... but instead, put into treatment...

Edit: you werent talking to me.

I'm going to assume you wrote something directed at my "Why don't you think pot should be legal?" post. Please respond. I just don't see why it's illegal, alcohol is much worse and that's legal. Legalize pot, tax it, more money for the country, plus it will reduce costs for the failure that is the war on drugs, again more money for the country.

:whatever::whatever::whatever:
Wow. Now Im going to have to say that is ignorant or stupid. The majority of drug dealers deal in multiple drugs (ecstasy, cocaine, meth, etc), not just marijuana, as safe as you think it is and as legal as you think it should be. Much of the violent crime in this country is directly related to drug dealers-drug deals gone bad/gangs fighting over drug turf/ etc.
To say that they are "providing a service at a risk"... WOW.

Yeah and the country's law of prohibition brought this about, where did the mob come from? People wanting to drink during prohibition, they were the first to provide a service at a risk.

I'm going to assume you wrote something directed at my "Why don't you think pot should be legal?" post. Please respond. I just don't see why it's illegal, alcohol is much worse and that's legal. Legalize pot, tax it, more money for the country, plus it will reduce costs for the failure that is the war on drugs, again more money for the country.

Yes, I was going to respond. Im sure this will get laughed at, but I fear that once we legalize this drug, there will be some movement to legalize another and another. I know its a little bit paranoid, but it is quite possible. I do personally think that marijuana will be legalized here to some extent in the near future and it does concern me. I stated above that I know there are benefits to the legalization of it, I wont deny that.

And as much as people can say this isnt true, I firmly believe that marijuana is THE gateway drug. I have never met a crackhead or meth addict who didnt start with marijuana. (I wont say that it never happens, but the few who start with cocaine, et al are in the very very slim minority).

Im NOT saying that marijuana is THE cause for them to go deeper with their drug experimentation, but there is a link there. I would also be willing to bet that I have met/dealt with many more drug addicts than most/all of the people on this board through my time as a probation officer and at my current job.

Despite this last paragraph, I know that there are some complete potheads that NEVER even think about touching another drug. They are perfectly content with weed. So please understand, I am NOT saying that all marijuana users WILL try other drugs. So I guess my point is just about ALL drug users (cocaine, heroin, meth, etc) started as marijuana users...but all marijuana users will not become harder drug users.

On a personal note, I believe that it is wrong to use drugs that affect your mind and body in that way that just about any drug does. I should mention that I am not, nor will I ever be a part of any movement/organization to keep marijuana illegal. If the laws change, fine by me, it won't change my stance/opinion on it at all.

Yeah and the country's law of prohibition brought this about, where did the mob come from? People wanting to drink during prohibition, they were the first to provide a service at a risk.

I think you completely missed my point on that one. Same thing with the mob, alcohol was not the only illegal activity they (mob) were taking part in either- prostitution, illegal gambling, and on and on were also "services" that were offered. So my point is, if you find a marijuana dealer, you have likely found a person who deals in multiple drugs that nobody would deny are much more harmful than marijuana.

Last edited:
Yes, I was going to respond. Im sure this will get laughed at, but I fear that once we legalize this drug, there will be some movement to legalize another and another. I know its a little bit paranoid, but it is quite possible. I do personally think that marijuana will be legalized here to some extent in the near future and it does concern me. I stated above that I know there are benefits to the legalization of it, I wont deny that.

And as much as people can say this isnt true, I firmly believe that marijuana is THE gateway drug. I have never met a crackhead or meth addict who didnt start with marijuana. (I wont say that it never happens, but the few who start with cocaine, et al are in the very very slim minority).

Im NOT saying that marijuana is THE cause for them to go deeper with their drug experimentation, but there is a link there. I would also be willing to bet that I have met/dealt with many more drug addicts than most/all of the people on this board through my time as a probation officer and at my current job.

Despite this last paragraph, I know that there are some complete potheads that NEVER even think about touching another drug. They are perfectly content with weed. So please understand, I am NOT saying that all marijuana users WILL try other drugs. So I guess my point is just about ALL drug users (cocaine, heroin, meth, etc) started as marijuana users...but all marijuana users will not become harder drug users.

On a personal note, I believe that it is wrong to use drugs that affect your mind and body in that way that just about any drug does. I should mention that I am not, nor will I ever be a part of any movement/organization to keep marijuana illegal. If the laws change, fine by me, it won't change my stance/opinion on it at all.

I think you completely missed my point on that one. Same thing with the mob, alcohol was not the only illegal activity they (mob) were taking part in either- prostitution, illegal gambling, and on and on were also "services" that were offered. So my point is, if you find a marijuana dealer, you have likely found a person who deals in multiple drugs that nobody would deny are much more harmful than marijuana.

I really disagree that pot is the gateway drug, I truly believe it's cigarettes or alcohol. Pot may be the illegal gateway drug, but cigarettes or alcohol are drugs too, just legal drugs. In my fraternity in college, there were a lot of potheads, I was one and a lot of us messed around with other drugs as well. Most of my friends stopped within 1-3 years after college and most of my friends are fairly successful in their careers. However, a few did go overboard and had or still do have problems with drugs that they deny. It's the small minority though. I don't see pot as a slippery slope, it is a step in the addicts journey, but pot being legal or illegal wouldn't change that.

I really disagree that pot is the gateway drug, I truly believe it's cigarettes or alcohol. Pot may be the illegal gateway drug, but cigarettes or alcohol are drugs too, just legal drugs. In my fraternity in college, there were a lot of potheads, I was one and a lot of us messed around with other drugs as well. Most of my friends stopped within 1-3 years after college and most of my friends are fairly successful in their careers. However, a few did go overboard and had or still do have problems with drugs that they deny. It's the small minority though. I don't see pot as a slippery slope, it is a step in the addicts journey, but pot being legal or illegal wouldn't change that.

Right, I wont argue with any of that. I feel that cigarettes and alcohol are legal drugs with plenty of consequences as well. However, there are plenty of folks who smoke and drink that never bother with ANY illegal drugs, marijuana included. But you have kind of proven my point, the people you say were potheads, you even said messed with other drugs as well. I really don't see why anyone would use any drug to be honest, but thats just me.

I will also say this. I know one person who was a pothead in high school (I didnt know him then) and quit years ago and has stayed drug free. Dealing with him is like dealing with a misbehaving child with the level of frustration in everyday stuff. He cant remember anything and always gets confused at the simplest stuff. Now maybe he was this way his whole life, but people who knew him then say that he wasnt, that he was much sharper. The ONLY thing I can possibly correlate this to is his drug (weed) use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"