• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Thread Manager Ordeal - Discussion

I still think that posts for a thread should still be increased from 1000 to at least 2500 or 5000. Thread Manager handling only 1000 posts was supposed to be a short term solution, if i remember.

I thought they were thinking of ways to best utilize Thread Manager, and yet nothing has changed since it was implemented. With all due respect to the Web staff, it feels lazy.

The staff has very little authority over how Thread Manager is being utilized. Our opinions and complaints are taken into consideration, but the forum staff has little knowledge on technical mechanics, which is why we have an administrator whose sole job is to create, update, etc. coding and and features. He is our go-to guy with tech issues, and he's very skilled. I'm certain Thread Manager is being used as sparingly as possible while still cutting out significant lag.

Which brings me to a question... Thread Manager's reduced an incredible amount of lag - it was virtually nonexistent for a long period of time - but now that it's worse, how could you expect thread limits to increase?

Yup, the lag has gotten worse since the implementation of Thread Manager.

Thats exactly the opposite of what's happened. :huh:

I'm no fan of Thread Manager (trust me, it's even more annoying as a moderator,) but I will give credit where credit's due. We had atrocious lag and the introduction of Thread Manager was a nearly-instant success in fulfilling it's main purpose. Our 1-man Geek Squad is top notch and knows exactly what to do to fix the place up. He's created some highly classified tools for the staff, too. He turned us into high-tech ninja detectives!

Literally, every time I click on the next page, or want to reply, I have to reload the entire page. Every time. That's insane. I thought it was my internet, but alas, no other site does this to me.

Yep, happened just now to make this post, happened opening a couple tabs earlier. I've been off-site for a while, what the hell happened?

Literally, every time I click on the next page, or want to reply, I have to reload the entire page. Every time. That's insane. I thought it was my internet, but alas, no other site does this to me.

The fact that a whole bunch of other members are complaining about the same thing could've clued you in. :o

I suspect they may have to do some maintenance over the weekend.

The staff has very little authority over how Thread Manager is being utilized. Our opinions and complaints are taken into consideration, but the forum staff has little knowledge on technical mechanics, which is why we have an administrator whose sole job is to create, update, etc. coding and and features. He is our go-to guy with tech issues, and he's very skilled. I'm certain Thread Manager is being used as sparingly as possible while still cutting out significant lag.

Which brings me to a question... Thread Manager's reduced an incredible amount of lag - it was virtually nonexistent for a long period of time - but now that it's worse, how could you expect thread limits to increase?

I started to experience the problem after I posted that too. I wasn't aiming my comment at the mods. I guess we're further away from increasing the post count for threads than I thought. :csad:

The question I have is why this is the only forum I visit that seems to have this issue continually?

It's massive. It's hard to say when I don't know what forums I'm comparing it to. We have tons of users online at all times and even more guests. I don't have an answer as to why it's happening, but it just started very recently. We had a pretty lengthy stint without lag. We should be thankful for that. And also be thankful y'all aren't staff members... :o

Anyway, boss man says they'll be working on it over the next few weeks and mentioned that there might be downtime. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll be lagging like this for those weeks, or that we'll have much downtime if any; but it seems like the current prognosis.

I wonder if it's time to remove the thread manager, the new servers are working fine without a hiccup.

Why on God's good earth would you necrobump this dusty ass thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"