• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Thunderbolts: Baron Zemo Born Better series

Willowhugger

Civilian
Reaction score
I, for one, am actually enjoying these comic books. I have never really been a fan of Helmut Zemo for a number of reasons. I think we can boil them down to three bullet points...

* He's not the original Baron Zemo.
* He's got this silly looking costume while Cobra Commander got the REAL Baron Zemo outfit.
* You don't really know what makes Zemo tick.

The Thunderbolts plot was when Helmut really got out from under his predecessor's shadow by coming up with an astoundingly clever plot-line that nearly worked in conquering the world. It also got to show that Helmut wasn't completely half assed by facing him off against some fairly deadly enemies as Citizen V.

I, for one, had some problems with Zemo's attempted redemption arc because let's face it....he's a Neo-Nazi. Unlike the stupid Neo-Nazi villains of DCU's current JSA series, he's close enough to the most dangerous ones of real life to be forfeit any sympathy from me. The "pretty" Baron being the worst. It doesn't help that I love Songbird and their romance just creeped me the Hell out.

However, I liked the fact that the ending revealed that Baron Zemo WAS sincere in his plotline. He's still a malicious elitist but he was entirely trying to work on proving that he'd changed. That's sort of like what I love about Doctor Doom (when he's not, you know, skinning his girlfriend). Even at their nicest, they're smug bastards.

The Born Better series threatens to do what the Book of Doom failed to do and that is simultaneously re-establish and revise the villainous character into something that's both admirable in its own way and still loathsome. Issue 2# suceeded in overcoming the main hurdle. Nothing says getting over one's neo-Nazi past like trying to rescue a Jewish family from a bunch of murderers without thinking about it.

They seem to be making Helmut more interesting than his father by essentially turning him into what Doom occassionally played upon in the idea of being "noble" but not good. Helmut's ancestors were all bast*** but they weren't all that different from what their time demanded. I think we're going to see that Helmut is realizing that he comes from a lineage no greater than anyone elses even as he also realizes that his father was a complete failure rather than the demigod he thought him to be.

Helmut is rocketing through time and meeting his ancestors. It's almost certain that he'll eventually meet with Baron Zemo his father. Given Zemo has abandoned Nazism and started to realize that even if he's an evil man, he's not someone that's particularly VICIOUS versus his father (whose a NAZI DOCTOR for Godsakes), I'm hoping we'll see a throwdown between the generations.

Make no mistake, Helmut is still an evil scumbag but he's picked up a form of ethics in his travels from underneath his father's shadow. That can only be good for future bedevilings of our heroes.

I am also loving this mini thus far....and I love what they have been doing with Zemo.

But yes, I also have a problem with them making a hero out of a Nazi.....that part is kind of hard to swallow

I am also loving this mini thus far....and I love what they have been doing with Zemo.

But yes, I also have a problem with them making a hero out of a Nazi.....that part is kind of hard to swallow

Yeah, I don't buy for a second that they're making Zemo into a hero. He's still a world domination obsessed little twerp, no matter how you present him. However, I'm starting to have the Nazi connection divorced from my mind thanks to his efforts in this book.

I'm really looking forward to issue 4 when Helmut meets daddy again.

I suppose if I can buy Andreas as an Anti-Hero in the New Swordsman, I can possibly buy Helmut as a villain "I love to hate" just as much as I love to hate Doom and Magneto.

I've loved Zemo ever since the start of the new Thunderbolts (vol. 2, which eventually returned to being vol. 1), and I can't get enough of this series. I'd like to see Zemo be a bit more villainous though. In many ways I love the noble bastard angle, but it's time he shows his face again as an worthy enemy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"