• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming Tom Holland IS Peter Parker / Spider-Man - Part 1

SpiderManAnnounce_zpsrlqwqjde.png

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios are proud to announce that after a full worldwide casting search, Tom Holland will play Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the next Spider-Man film, in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28, 2017. The film will be directed by Jon Watts, director of "Cop Car," the upcoming thriller that made its debut earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival.

Marvel and Sony Pictures, and producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal conducted an extensive search for both the actor and the director. The studios and producers were impressed by Holland’s performances in "The Impossible," “Wolf Hall,” and the upcoming "In the Heart of the Sea," and by a series of complex screen tests. Following Marvel’s tradition of working with the brightest next wave of directors, Watts also went through multiple meetings with Feige, Pascal, and the studio, before winning the job.

Commenting on the announcement, Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group Chairman, said, “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start.”

Feige commented, “As with James Gunn, Joss Whedon, and the Russo brothers, we love finding new and exciting voices to bring these characters to life. We spent a lot of time with Jon and find his take and work inspiring.”

Pascal added, “Sony, Marvel, Kevin and I all knew that for Peter Parker, we had to find a vibrant, talented young actor capable of embodying one of the most well-known characters in the world. With Tom, we’ve found the perfect actor to bring Spider-Man’s story into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

Sony Pictures will finance and release worldwide the next installment of the $4 billion Spider-Man franchise on July 28, 2017, in a film co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the Web-Slinger.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.
Source

Does 'spidey senses stop working' mean literally spidey senses stop working... or are they planning on trying to steal him from his spidey role! :O

I think the answer is obvious...

damn, it took longer than i thought for this thread to get to a part 1.

I said it before I am glad spidey section has slowed down a bit and calmed down. It was annoying to be gone for a few hours and come back and see all the big threads go thru 30 pages or gone thru a whole thread or two and playing catch up. I am sure once we get more cast and crew and we get closer to.solo in production or see some stuff from civil war it will ramp up again.

damn, it took longer than i thought for this thread to get to a part 1.

Now the initial casting reactions have died down it's not suprising. Tom has been pretty quiet about it all so there's not much to talk about other than instagram photo's ha.

I still really want an interview or a press event with Tom or something. Come on Marvel!

Now the initial casting reactions have died down it's not suprising. Tom has been pretty quiet about it all so there's not much to talk about other than instagram photo's ha.

I still really want an interview or a press event with Tom or something. Come on Marvel!
Me too I'm surprised reporters don't attack him whenever he's outside.

Why is the second thread part 1? Should it be part 2?
i don't know, ask the administrators. When an original thread gets to 1,002 threads, it is basically a part 0 coz it's next part is 1.

well, I for one lost a lot of interest when I saw he was cast. Not that I won't see the movie or anything like that but it just killed so much buzz for me.

i am sure we will probably get something at or around D23 in the next few weeks. If not then i would def expect some comments/interviews coming out in and around nov when his ron Howard film with hemsworth comes out.

I watched The Impossible again last night. Damn that film is hard to get through. I pretty much never watch anything that serious though.

I am even more impressed by Tom's performance, he's so young here and frankly outshines Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts. I can't wait for In the Heart of the Sea to come out for more examples of his acting.

I haven't see it myself yet. I should try to see it before his other film is out.

Ya I heard it's great. Just need to find the time to sit down and watch it. And get it some time via redbix or some other way.

I really hope they take advantage of Tom's physicality and athleticism. I'm not saying he has to do his own stunts, though, that'd be neat. A quote by John Romita Sr. (which I will have to paraphrase) comes to mind:

When you see Spider-Man, he should be doing Spider-Man things: Sticking to a wall, hanging on a web, whatever. The more normal Spider-Man looks, the less interesting he seems.

Now, hyperbole aside, I think they should take this to heart. For example, a scene where Spider-Man enters the room to talk to someone, rather than being Spider-Man walking into the room, should show him flip through the door. And since Tom CAN flip through that door, they have no excuse.

Just small little things I hope they think of. The idea of a Marvel Studios Spider-Man has be so excited.

To be fair, I think every movie has done that right (especially since, through movie magic, they don't even have to show him enter the door, just hang down from the ceiling).

I really hope they take advantage of Tom's physicality and athleticism. I'm not saying he has to do his own stunts, though, that'd be neat. A quote by John Romita Sr. (which I will have to paraphrase) comes to mind:

When you see Spider-Man, he should be doing Spider-Man things: Sticking to a wall, hanging on a web, whatever. The more normal Spider-Man looks, the less interesting he seems.

Now, hyperbole aside, I think they should take this to heart. For example, a scene where Spider-Man enters the room to talk to someone, rather than being Spider-Man walking into the room, should show him flip through the door. And since Tom CAN flip through that door, they have no excuse.

Just small little things I hope they think of. The idea of a Marvel Studios Spider-Man has be so excited.
Yeah I definitely feel like little things like that were missing. MS usually gets those comic book-y types of details right though so I'm excited to see it.

Tasm2 had Spider-Man walk away from Alexsei and it looked lame as hell. I agree with romita sr. Also the way Garfield slid off the cop car in times square sucked. God those movies are bad.

Nice video there. And he is def in great shape and a nice peak at how he could look crawling walls.

Tasm2 had Spider-Man walk away from Alexsei and it looked lame as hell. I agree with romita sr. Also the way Garfield slid off the cop car in times square sucked. God those movies are bad.

Yeah I definitely feel like little things like that were missing. MS usually gets those comic book-y types of details right though so I'm excited to see it.

Well, I wasn't necessarily comparing it to the past movies. I was just talking about in general. Since Tom can flip and stuff; I want Spidey to flip and stuff. That was it, aha.

To be fair, I think every movie has done that right (especially since, through movie magic, they don't even have to show him enter the door, just hang down from the ceiling).

^^Yes, agreed. That scene in the first Spider-Man with Uncle Ben's killer is fantastic. When his silhouette just drops from the ceiling, upside down. Ugh. That movie is so good.

I agree with you and with Romita Sr but...the past 5 movies have done a good job of using that idea whenever they could. I can think of many instances where they had Spidey doing his unique behaviors. I also think Marvel is good at maintaining those things so I expect we'll see that trend continue. The fact that Tom Holland appears to be very physical and is skilled at doing things like flips and what not, that's just a big bonus :woot:

I agree.

I don't think they were missing at all. Peter sleeping on the ceiling, hanging up side down in his room drawing or reading (can't remember), crouched on the railing talking to the father and son, hanging upside down to come and talk to Harry, etc. etc. etc.

So focused on the negative. How about all the awesomeness that occurred before walking away from Aleksei, the swinging, dodging bullets and then webbing him up in a unique fashion. Or his entrance into Times Square, landing on the cop car as it was rotating in the air to catch it, then his jump and flip to land on top of the cop car you're talking about. Yeah, totally sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"