• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unpopular sports opinions

MLB should expand the playoffs to 16 teams and shorten the regular season back to 154 games. The biggest problem in MLB is the disparity between the payrolls of the big market teams (New York, Boston) and the nobodies (Pittsburgh, Florida). This instantly solves that problem for the most part, plus allows baseball to join the 21st Century and the other major sports by having four rounds of playoffs.

The purists will hate it.

How exactly does it do that?

Anyway, I'm really glad no one in charge in MLB thinks this way, as it would literally ruin the game.

While I'm all for expanding the playoff spots, it still doesn't really solve the problem. The Royals would just get swept by the Yankees, as opposed to right now where they just don't make the postseason. As long as these small market teams don't have the payrolls anywhere near the big dogs, they're still not going to realistically compete for a championship. Playoff appearance or not.

Last edited:
I would be for a salary cap, but let's not act like small market teams have no shot to win. The Giants won the championship last year, and Tampa Bay has been one of the better teams the past few years.

Leave the postseason the way it is.

^ I agree - The postseason isn't really the problem. Leave that alone, but do something to add balance to the regular season. Some form of a salary cap probably works.

I would be for a salary cap, but let's not act like small market teams have no shot to win. The Giants won the championship last year, and Tampa Bay has been one of the better teams the past few years.

Leave the postseason the way it is.
But let's also not act like the Giants were some kind of helpless underdog team. Compared to the Yankees? Yeah, just like almost every other team in the league they don't have that kind of money. The only team payroll-wise that can stand up with them is the Boston Red Sox. Oh and the Cubs.

Casual fans aren't aware of it, but the Cubs have the 3rd highest payroll in all of baseball, folks. Ahead of the Phillies, Mets and that underdog Cardinals team that won the championship only a few years back. No Joke. And no championship in over 100 years to show for it. So it's ridiculous to assume that if we up the payrolls for every team, they will be able to compete. The Giants weren't and aren't underdogs. They have a decent payroll and really good scouts. So yeah, the Giants were never underdogs, but casual fans don't care enough to look up the statistics.

If small market teams want to win, they have to get it done through good scouting and drafting. It's as simple as that. But you might as well toss a team like the Royals in the mix and see if they can pull off a major upset.

Last edited:
if i could draft a team of nba players (a la fantasy) of all time, michael jordan wouldn't be my first pick.

bill russell would be

I don't see why that would be unpopular. A lot of people feel that way. The man has 11 rings all based on D-E-F-E-N-S-E. I think MJ is the greatest ever but the officials gave him calls. He got the whistle more than Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and the rest of today's NBA players. Actually, the only current player I can think of who gets the whistle like Jordan is Kevin Durant. He gets the benefit of the doubt... a lot. lol

Lebron gets them way more than Durant

I don't see why that would be unpopular. A lot of people feel that way. The man has 11 rings all based on D-E-F-E-N-S-E. I think MJ is the greatest ever but the officials gave him calls. He got the whistle more than Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and the rest of today's NBA players. Actually, the only current player I can think of who gets the whistle like Jordan is Kevin Durant. He gets the benefit of the doubt... a lot. lol

:huh: You have got to be kidding.

First of all, the rules were different, players can get way more calls now then ever. Jordan got handchecked like crazy. You can't even put your hands on players today like you could when Jordan was winning championships. The Detroit, New York and Miami teams that Jordan battled every playoff season couldn't even defend now like they could then.

Second, all elite players get their share of calls. Jordan didn't get anymore than any other top players (then or now).

i do think a lot of the calls players get now have a lot to do with the calls MJ was getting as his career went on. at one point it was like he was glass, and if you blew on him you got a whistle for a foul

First of all, the rules were different, players can get way more calls now then ever. Jordan got handchecked like crazy. You can't even put your hands on players today like you could when Jordan was winning championships. The Detroit, New York and Miami teams that Jordan battled every playoff season couldn't even defend now like they could then.

Second, all elite players get their share of calls. Jordan didn't get anymore than any other top players (then or now).
This. Have you seen any of his games against the Bad Boy Pistons?

Those Detroit teams probably could have been charged with some crimes.

I'll give it to them, though. They were good at what they did and most of it (some of it?) was within the rules (although they reaaaally pushed it).

Those Detroit teams probably could have been charged with some crimes.

I'll give it to them, though. They were good at what they did and most of it (some of it?) was within the rules (although they reaaaally pushed it).
Yep. That was real basketball. I would love for the officiating to go back to what it was.

i wish teams could be physical like the Pistons and early 90's Knicks were. These guys are too soft.

Firstly with my very basic NFL knowledge I don't get the Tom Brady hate, secondly everyone seemed to love Rex Ryan but he always came off a classless *****e and thirdly I was in Edmonton for a few months last year and every man and their dog (yeh Don Cherry you guessed it) was telling me the Oilers are improving... but their record was just as bad if not worse than last year... I don't understand how thats improving.
Please some Canadian/American sports fan help me out!

Firstly with my very basic NFL knowledge I don't get the Tom Brady hate
Fans are jealous of Brady.

secondly everyone seemed to love Rex Ryan but he always came off a classless *****e
At first fans found Rex exciting because he doesn't give the same boring robotic answers like most head coaches. But now the public seems to be tired of his antics and are finally realizing that he's very obnoxious.

I was in Edmonton for a few months last year and every man and their dog (yeh Don Cherry you guessed it) was telling me the Oilers are improving... but their record was just as bad if not worse than last year... I don't understand how thats improving.
Please some Canadian/American sports fan help me out!
Sports analyst are stupid.

I still don't understand the offsides rule.

Also, I don't believe that Baseball is the U.S. national past time anymore. The cultural prominence of the SuperBowl has cemented football in that spot.

Here's a rundown:
the attacking player is in the opponent's half of the field
the attacking player is closer to the goal line than the second-to-last defensive player (including goal keeper) and the ball.
the attacking player is involved in the play, either by playing the ball or interfering with a defender or goalkeeper
When an offside infraction is called, play is stopped and an indirect free kick (the ball must touch another player before a goal is scored) is awarded to the opposing team.

So, for example, if this rule existed in the NBA, a fast break would be a penalty every single time against the team doing the fast break. The rule punishes the offence, for the defense being out of position. Now, how many fast breaks happen in basketball, maybe 5-10 a game? Out of like 100 made baskets? It would add maybe one or two exciting plays to a soccer game, yet soccer purists are all "no, it'll make the game all crazy and high scoring!"

Fans are jealous of Brady.

That's just not true. I hate Brady (he's probably the only football player I hate) and I'm not jealous of him at all. He's just a tool, and it's pretty obvious from every interview he ever does.

[YT]5lk-wWUQKBg[/YT]

At first fans found Rex exciting because he doesn't give the same boring robotic answers like most head coaches. But now the public seems to be tired of his antics and are finally realizing that he's very obnoxious.

All of the Jets' fans still love him. And I don't think he's obnoxious at all, I'd love to have him as the Giants' head coach.

Pshhh....yeah right....they barely touched each other back then. No way they could hang with players of today.

Oh wait.....that's right, it's the other way around like you said.

To go along with that.....my unpopular sports opinion, which is based off of much of the basketball fans of today and this generation and the past 10 years.

This generation of NBA players and teams aren't as good as past generations. The game isn't as good.

That's just not true. I hate Brady (he's probably the only football player I hate) and I'm not jealous of him at all. He's just a tool, and it's pretty obvious from every interview he ever does.

[YT]5lk-wWUQKBg[/YT]

All of the Jets' fans still love him. And I don't think he's obnoxious at all, I'd love to have him as the Giants' head coach.
Oh.... So you're a Giants fan? Well that explains a whole lot. :o

I like Tony Romo, most people don't I don't think he's an elite QB but you can't argue with what he has done for the franchise... sure he's only won one playoff game, but he's gotten us to four, thats more than Carter, Henson, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and everybody else since Aikman combined. (that total number is 0 BTW) So say what you want about Tony but I think he's good. I think he's got about 2 quality seasons left though. (that is if his collerbone injury didn't **** him up too bad last season and this lockout doesn't drag out too much longer) If I were in Charge of the Cowboys I would draft Andy Dalton this year and groom him to be the starting QB of the future, we could get him probably in the 3rd or 4th round (which is a steal if you ask me Colt McCoy didnt go till the third round last year and IMHO I think he's better than Bradford) plus it would be nice for the Boys to have a Texas boy under center once again (RIP Dandy Don). anyway thats my unpoopular, Dallas Cowboys biased sports opinion

Romo is a good QB, he's just not a great QB. With some good coaching he'll win a Superbowl one day

This generation of NBA players and teams aren't as good as past generations. The game isn't as good.

i don't necessarily agree that the players aren't as good as past. but i do believe that the teams aren't as strong as they once were. honestly, how many teams really play team basketball right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"