Utah projected to end homelessness in their state by 2015 by giving people homes

I do like it better than the "tough luck, pal" mentality so many people have these days when it comes to helping those who are having a rough time.

I do like it better than the "tough luck, pal" mentality so many people have these days when it comes to helping those who are having a rough time.

Especially since the majority of homeless people are veterans. America is all, "Support the Troops!" when they're overseas, but all that goes out the window when they come back.

Then it's, "Get away from me you dirty bum."

Awesome,I applaud Utah for at least trying this,This whole thing may end up failing eventually cause there are ways it can go wrong but at least the state has some faith left in humanity

Right, like what if people just live in the homes and continue to not make money, because if they do then they will be evicted or forced to pay. There are a lot of things to work out with the plan. At least they are trying new things though.

I don't think the percentage of people who'd be willing to live that way is significantly large. Studies show that the vast majority of people with a guaranteed safety net still choose to go out and work.

I mean, imagine the lifestyle you're describing. Living in free government housing with no means of income means no higher education, no ability to travel or purchase anything except basic necessities like food, and no ability to live with some measure of independence. Just dicking around your apartment all day with nothing to do without any kind of daily routine. The vast majority of people would find living like that to be incredibly unappealing.

I honestly believe that boredom and self respect are much more effective (and ethical) motivations for personal growth than basic survival.

Last edited:
Right, like what if people just live in the homes and continue to not make money, because if they do then they will be evicted or forced to pay. There are a lot of things to work out with the plan. At least they are trying new things though.

You have to give people a little more credit than that I think. Just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they don't want to work or change their life. Giving them a place to live which is comfortable and safe can be a huge psychological change. You start small and work your way from there.

As far as I can tell, none. Could be wrong about that, of course, but I can't see any from any of the information that's currently available to me. It uses up less tax payer money than not doing it, it's much more likely to help people break out of the cycle of poverty than not doing it, and on average there are at any given time about 20 vacant houses and apartments for every homeless person in the US, so there's still plenty of living space to go around.

Beyond ephemeral notions or "a day's pay for a day's work" and other objectvist philosophical stuff that I honestly could not care less about, I can't see a downside to this.
"The cons will be lazy people will have it even easier - free apartment plus welfare (which no longer has to go towards housing)?!" - Every Republican ever.

I guess the sacrifice of being homeless for awhile is totally worth a free apartmen :funny:

Seriously though, I love the idea, but how are they going to check your homelessness status? They must have implemented somethign to prevent rampant exploitation, I'm curious what that'd be. I totally agree that it would be great for many hopeless people to get back on their feet and give them an opportunity to advance themselves they might never otherwise have had, but I also know Americans have become lazy as all hell.

"The cons will be lazy people will have it even easier - free apartment plus welfare (which no longer has to go towards housing)?!" - Every Republican ever.

I guess the sacrifice of being homeless for awhile is totally worth a free apartmen :funny:

Seriously though, I love the idea, but how are they going to check your homelessness status? They must have implemented somethign to prevent rampant exploitation, I'm curious what that'd be. I totally agree that it would be great for many hopeless people to get back on their feet and give them an opportunity to advance themselves they might never otherwise have had, but I also know Americans have become lazy as all hell.

It's pretty easy to check if a person already has a place to live or can easily afford a place to live on their own. Address and financial records aren't hard for the government to get their hands on. Honestly, the effort it would take for a non-homeless person to cover their own paper trail in order to exploit this would qualify them as anything but lazy.

And the truth is most homeless people are only homeless for a few months, maybe a few years at most. It's not as common as the stereotype of the homeless living on the streets for several years or decades. Obviously some do but the majority do not. It's that there is a perpetual number of people who become temporarily homeless for whatever reason that keeps their numbers up.

The fact that this is cheaper for the state and gives the homeless a morale boost to possibly better themselves makes this great imo. Sure some people won't want to job hunt and use the case worker but it is still cheaper and gives those who want to take advantage a great boost.

As a person who was homeless for about 8 months I think this is great. being out in the weather is tough and I drank every night to go to sleep in my tent. I got a job and grinded my way out of the hole but a lot of people aren't as strong willed and need more of a helping hand to get them on their feet. Lots of things I don't like about Utah but this ain't one of them

As a person who was homeless for about 8 months I think this is great. being out in the weather is tough and I drank every night to go to sleep in my tent. I got a job and grinded my way out of the hole but a lot of people aren't as strong willed and need more of a helping hand to get them on their feet. Lots of things I don't like about Utah but this ain't one of them

Sometimes, it's not even about will. Sometimes all the wrong circumstances align and the numbers just don't add up and it's impossible for someone to pull themselves up without help.

Oh yeah man I agree completely. Very few of the homeless people I've ever met just wanted to sit around and do nothing all day. It takes a very special person to be happy with living off the meager handouts from the Government

Sometimes, it's not even about will. Sometimes all the wrong circumstances align and the numbers just don't add up and it's impossible for someone to pull themselves up without help.

I went homeless for a few months simply because the apartments where I was staying raised their prices too much and I couldn't renew my lease. Getting a new apartment took a few months even with a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"