• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Variety confirms new Punisher film, calls it a "rehaul"

I have to agree about Travolta. But I thought the t-shirt was a great touch. It was believable and a perfect way to keep the symbol, without having him wearing some dumb costume.

I'd say keep the t-shirt idea, or just do like the '88 version and forgo the symbol from his outfit completely.

You have to be kidding me, i mean you absolutely have to. What's next, a Batman costume where he just wears a black 3 piece suit? The skull is uncompromisingly essential, and there's no reason NOT to have it. It's not like other heroes where it's like "oh well will this looks silly on screen, or will it be practical or whatever?" It's just a black T-shirt with a skull on it, it doesn't even need to be explained.

..yeah the t-shirt and the reason he wears it was one of the best things of the movie...

You have to be kidding me, i mean you absolutely have to. What's next, a Batman costume where he just wears a black 3 piece suit? The skull is uncompromisingly essential, and there's no reason NOT to have it. It's not like other heroes where it's like "oh well will this looks silly on screen, or will it be practical or whatever?" It's just a black T-shirt with a skull on it, it doesn't even need to be explained.

I'm all for the t-shirt. Like I said, it was a great idea.

What I meant was, if they're not gonna use the t-shirt idea again, I'd rather him not have the symbol at all than to end up wearing a cheesy straight-from-the-comics costume with the skull on it.

The distressed t-shirt (and maybe the hand painted vest) is the only way for it to NOT look silly.

Bottom line, it shouldn't look like a costume.

yea it looked like a costume in the teaser, im glad they went with the more faded look for the actual film...and the spraypainted look too.

I really, really hope that this won't be a restart.

They have absoloutely no reason to restart this franchise other than recasting the main actor. Christ, the movie only came out a few years ago...

I have to agree about Travolta. But I thought the t-shirt was a great touch. It was believable and a perfect way to keep the symbol, without having him wearing some dumb costume.

I'd say keep the t-shirt idea, or just do like the '88 version and forgo the symbol from his outfit completely.

The outfit should be practical but also look like the comics, I hate the T shirt idea, any bum can wear a Tshirt.

I wish Punisher would have a bullet proof vest, ala blade, but he wears a plastic smock or something over it... something that a coroner would wear that blood rinses right off of. ANd on that shiny plastic you could have the logo.

ANd the way i'd work the logo in is to have it be Frank's logo from when he was a soldier or something, like the logo for his unit. I always thought it would be cool if he has a tattoo of it somewhere and its just a reminder of his past that he's trying to forget (the war and killing and all that). BUT after the murder of his family he reverts back to kill mode and embraces it by plastering on his chest. It can be explained and actually come off as cool i think.

They have absoloutely no reason to restart this franchise other than recasting the main actor. Christ, the movie only came out a few years ago...

they have every reason. the first film was good but it wasn't great. they're obviously trying to build something better here or they wouldn't be completely restarting the franchise.

and what about the incredible hulk? that came out before the punisher and it's basically a reboot as well.

Eh...the fact that Jane left because, supposedly, the script sucked still makes me VERY weary; not to mention that Jane, to me, is the ONLY man who can play Punisher in this generation. He is to Punisher as Bale is to Batman.

could you imagine a team up of tom jane's punisher and bale's batman
that would be f***in awesome

:unishr: :batty:

they have every reason. the first film was good but it wasn't great. they're obviously trying to build something better here or they wouldn't be completely restarting the franchise.

and what about the incredible hulk? that came out before the punisher and it's basically a reboot as well.

The first Punisher was nowhere near as bad as Hulk, and they aren't doing another origin story with Hulk either. They have no need to restart this one...he became The Punisher at the end of the movie, just have him relocate and have a different storyline/villain.

If we get another origin story I will riot.

It makes no sense to make it a rehaul. ****ing the 3rd Punisher movie and it's another origin story. **** this ****.

The Jane movie had potential, but the family scene was stupid and over the top, I felt nothing for his grief, the characters were badly developed.
The cop angle sucked, Jane's fake gruff voice sucked, the supporting cast was crap and took the edge from the Punisher, the tampa setting sucked, Travolta was crap, the story behind the shirt sucked...
It was a very poor film, much crappier then the Hulk, the Hulk film sucked as a comic film, it tried to be to artsy, but it wasn't a big joke like this movie, it was just a bore.

the 89 punisher film starts off with castle as the punisher already so that really wasn't an origin story. they did touch on it but through flashbacks and now that i think about it, i'm hoping they'll do the same with war zone. like its predecessor, the 04 punisher wasn't really successful enough so maybe they feel that a reboot is needed cuz they're trying to create something bigger. a trilogy of punisher films? nice. a series on hbo? entirely possible seeing as it's the same freakin network that rome was on. damn that would be sweet...

I love the first scene in the '89 film. Punisher is kept in the dark and you don't see his face and he's taking out all the badies. Then he blows up the house and standing in the front door.

That movie had a lot of good scenes.

Yeah and then he stabs the guy with a knife with a skull on the end; the only skull we see in a PUNISHER movie.

The end action sequence is pretty good though. And I love when he holds the kid's gun against his head and says "Do it. Do it."

Is this a vague sequel?

Seems to be the norm anymore :o
lol:dry:

Agreed.It doesn't make much sense to me even if it's a new actor and director. A third origin in 18 years and only 3 years after the Jane movie?:huh:

BTW i just reread the article and nowhere does it state that it's not a direct sequel to the Jane film or that they're redoing the origin.

Words like "overhaul" and "new franchise" usually indicate that said movie is not a direct sequel. Reboot and redo are not one and the same.

And just like HULK, the The Punisher needs one. BADLY.

Words like "overhaul" and "new franchise" usually indicate that said movie is not a direct sequel. Reboot and redo are not one and the same.

And just like HULK, the The Punisher needs one. BADLY.

:whatever:

It dosen't make sense to me to have a sequel after 4 or 5 years, not 3 retro, it comes out in 08. If its a movie that is not good and had a very low-budget, why would people would wait another 4 or 5 years for a SEQUEL? I just want a good movie, thats it. Most percentage of movies in the whole history of making films do better with a new start from the bad movies in a 3,4,5, or longer year period than making a sequel after the same amount of years from bad movie preceders.

Wow, i'm so glad this movie is happening.

No Travolta (worst villain ever)
No Jane (Did his best but was all wrong)
No Tampa (Thank you God)
No Family Reunion on an island with a witch doctor No T-Shirt that wards off evil spirits (self explanatory)

We are gonna get a movie with a large, grizzled, veteran looking guy as the Punisher. An actor who in his most famous role was a stone cold killer who would bite out someone's tongue and then head butt them.

We are getting Jigsaw, and MICROCHIP! I dont know how any Punisher fan can be NOT excited about this movie on some level. Unless you are one of those who thinks (for some reason I'll never understand) that Jane nailed the role and will forever be the only guy who can be The Punisher (ala Christopher Reeve).

I also dont care about substituting Viet Nam to Iraq, thats just changing with the times. I would just have it be that he was in Iraq and anywhere else where there was a conflict and they needed key targets eliminated. I'm so pumped for this.

These two things concern me. Microchip was a product of a Marvel editor who didn't think lone superheroes could work, and tried unjustly inject humanity into aspects of the Punisher's character where it didn't belong. The character was never that interesting, and he is the productive of an era best forgotten. Thankfully Ennis handled it best, and somehow managed to make the whole Microchip debacle into something interesting... playing off the character of Castle we knew prior to Micro and after Micro - who can never trust anyone cause eventually everyone is out to get him.

Second of all, how can you say you care about details like the New York Setting, and the lack of family reunion, then turn around and say it doesn't matter if it is Iraq or Vietnam - doesn't that seem kind of contradictory. Unless you are trying to tell me Vietnam simply isn't an important aspect of who the Punisher is... I would hope to most if not all Punisher fans, that aspect is just as important as him operating in New York, or the way his family dies... it just seems awkward, contrived, forced and overall very weird that you are so willing to depart with that aspect and not others.

Second of all, how can you say you care about details like the New York Setting, and the lack of family reunion, then turn around and say it doesn't matter if it is Iraq or Vietnam - doesn't that seem kind of contradictory. Unless you are trying to tell me Vietnam simply isn't an important aspect of who the Punisher is... I would hope to most if not all Punisher fans, that aspect is just as important as him operating in New York, or the way his family dies... it just seems awkward, contrived, forced and overall very weird that you are so willing to depart with that aspect and not others.

Thank you Troma. Of all things I'm begging for is for them to use the Vietnam angle. It was the most important aspect of his character being thats what made him the man today, but usually I get shot down by people that say he's too young to be in Vietnam. I'm wondering if most of these people that say it doesn't matter between Iraq or Vietnam are young readers? I remember growing up after the whole Vietnam thing died down and there were some pretty intense situations.

And another thing, if Vietnam were used then this story could come to the big screen.

born.jpg

Now lets be serious here, Im not discounting the Iraq conflict however technology today has been saving far more lives that could have been saved in Vietnam. Vietnam was pretty hairy, it was the war that "lost our innocence." And probably i just want to see another damn good Vietnam war movie.

You mean to tell me hollywood make-up people can't make this guy look old enough to fight in Vietnam?

character_tituspullo.jpg

Ummmmm....you guys do remember that the script was so awful that Thomas Jane walked out of it right? It's also being directed by a fairly unknown female director. Don't get your hopes up too high people.

And to all of you who want Frank to be a Vietnam vet...Do you really want a 50-60 year old Punisher?

tom jane walked out because he didn't get the script HE wanted. that doesn't make it awful, that's just his opinion. and why are people so hung up on this female director thing? that's kinda sexist... what the hell are you thinkin exactly? that she's gonna turn the punisher into a love story or somethin?

I wouldn't have a problem with a 50 year old Punisher....

But making him a vet of the Iraqi war....*sigh* How many movies DOESN'T do this today? I think that's stupid as hell. I'd rather they go the '04 route and don't mention a war instead of placing him in the Iraqi war. But no, let's just cliche this movie up and name it s****ty before they even start shooting, Brilliant!.

tom jane walked out because he didn't get the script HE wanted. that doesn't make it awful, that's just his opinion. and why are people so hung up on this female director thing? that's kinda sexist... what the hell are you thinkin exactly? that she's gonna turn the punisher into a love story or somethin?
Agreed with every word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"