Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

Ozbridge

Sidekick
Reaction score
We have trailer for a while now but there's no box office thread yet so I open one.

So, Sony's Venom movie staring Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed, which may or may not be R-rated, will be released on October 5th 2018.

Competition

4 weeks before: Shane Black's Predator 4

3 weeks before: The House with A Clock in Its Walls, children gothic horror staring Cate Blanchett and Jack Black

2 weeks before: Action comedy Johnny English 3

1 week before:
Lionsgate's horror Hell Fest
WB's animation Smallfoot about a Yeti who is convinced that the elusive "Smallfeet" (humans) actually exist.

Same week:
Fox's drama thriller Bad Times at the El Royale starring Chris Hemsworth and Dakota Johnson
Potential Oscar 2019's Original Score nominee A Star is Born staring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga

1 week after: Universal's biographical First Man staring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong

2 weeks after:
Blumhouse's R-rated horror Halloween
WB's "dark" Jungle Book adaptation Mowgli

3 weeks after: Paramount's horror Overlord

4 weeks after:
Bohemian Rhapsody
Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

I was very tempted to divide the poll into domestic and worldwide like Solo, but CBMs (except Wonder Woman and Black Panther) usually have similar domestic:worldwide ratio anyway.

There's trailer released already so I voted for 400-450M.

It's a bit too early to say, but at the moment, I think it will have a decent opening weekend and plummet after that.

I do think October is the perfect month for a Venom release though.

Last edited:
I think this actually has a pretty good chance at making some decent coin. That's a solid slot it's in imo, there aren't really any MASSIVE blockbusters or money-makers in that roundup pre- and post-release, mostly smaller more esoteric films.

I'd say this should/will easily break $500M, with my guess for a final estimate around $700-$800M

Regardless of Spider-man and the MCU, this is a TOM HARDY blockbuster and VENOM ... and the trailers we get in the upcoming months are only gonna get better

I think this actually has a pretty good chance at making some decent coin. That's a solid slot it's in imo, there aren't really any MASSIVE blockbusters or money-makers in that roundup pre- and post-release, mostly smaller more esoteric films.

I'd say this should/will easily break $500M, with my guess for a final estimate around $700-$800M

Regardless of Spider-man and the MCU, this is a TOM HARDY blockbuster and VENOM ... and the trailers we get in the upcoming months are only gonna get better

Jesus really?

I think 300WW is the max. But I've been wrong before

I'd agree with Blackman. The last two Sony Spider-Man movies did about 700-750M WW. The highest grossing Spider-Man movie had Venom in it but Venom himself is not bigger than Spider-Man, he's going to struggle drawing that well on his own without Spidey. The least they could have done is throw Carnage in there to help him out.

I also have a hunch the film is going to be critically poorly received and that will hurt it in the long run. At the moment I stand by thinking the film will have a semi-strong opening weekend but won't have much legs after that. But we'll see how the buzz is and what happens as we get closer to release.

Yea I don’t see this crossing 500 at all. 200 is more realistic .

Assuming it's good, not connected to Spidey 350m - 400m.

Connected, 550- 600m

I going to assume it's not but really hoping a door is left open....

I think this actually has a pretty good chance at making some decent coin.

I've had a few conversations with moviegoers who aren't generally fans of CBMs except for the occasional outlier like Deadpool or Logan. They're optimistic about this because it looks like a self-contained horror movie. If those people are indicative of people across the country, Venom will make some money from casual ticket buyers looking for an October thriller.

If the movie is decent, I can see it maybe pulling $400M or so.

I've had a few conversations with moviegoers who aren't generally fans of CBMs except for the occasional outlier like Deadpool or Logan. They're optimistic about this because it looks like a self-contained horror movie. If those people are indicative of people across the country, Venom will make some money from casual ticket buyers looking for an October thriller.

Exactly. All my non-comic book friends think this looks awesome, and "love Tom Hardy/love Venom"

Even my best friend -- a huge film/CBM fan --, who just out of principle hates anything Spider-man related (growing up, I was a Spidey fan and he was X-men, and we'd talk ***** on each other's movie franchises trying to have the 'better one' lol) said he thinks this movie looks awesome after the last trailer came out. If he's saying that, which had to have stuck in his craw, then I'm sure others will be won over/excited too

edit: Also, I feel like the Avengers and MCU is an outlier. People have already invested so much time and money into them that they're not going to stop now, but overall people are either kind of over or just not into the 'world-building' 'shared universe' 'everything's connected/have-to-see-this-to-get-that' type of movies anymore. An exciting, self-contained story could actually help this film imo

Last edited:
Sony is trying to make a shared universe with this franchise to. A franchise without the key player. Spider-Man.

Sony is trying to make a shared universe with this franchise to. A franchise without the key player. Spider-Man.

It's truly laughable.

This thread was about the box office. We've already heard your opinions on the movie and franchise in all the other threads

Hey. I was only responding to what you said. Sooooooo yea

Jesus really?

I think 300WW is the max. But I've been wrong before

I think it'll do better than that. Maybe top out around 500M if it's good, but, uh, I saw the previews so......

Maybe 400M??? Anything under that is.....really, really bad. Kinda like the idea of making this movie.

Hey. I was only responding to what you said. Sooooooo yea

Fair enough. But even if this movie isn't connected to the MCU, that doesn't mean S-M isn't or won't ever be a part of this

I can understand believing there's a very small chance of it happening, but we just don't know for certain. So all the definitive statements in that vein seem premature or unproductive

Fair enough. But even if this movie isn't connected to the MCU, that doesn't mean S-M isn't or won't ever be a part of this

I can understand believing there's a very small chance of it happening, but we just don't know for certain. So all the definitive statements in that vein seem premature or unproductive

Same can be said with you thinking the movie could be a hit. You don’t know for sure. Everything is pure speculation. There’s nothing unproductive about it. It’s a discussion. Also I’m 95% certain Spider-Man won’t show up or be mentioned. Just don’t see how he could now since the symbiote is t even connected to him.

Same can be said with you thinking the movie could be a hit. You don’t know for sure. Everything is pure speculation. There’s nothing unproductive about it. It’s a discussion. Also I’m 95% certain Spider-Man won’t show up or be mentioned. Just don’t see how he could now since the symbiote is t even connected to him.

Well yes, of course me saying it could be successful is speculation, but that's still possible. I'm not saying it definitely WILL be a hit. What I'm referring to as unproductive is all the bashing and persistent negativity about Spider-man and/or Marvel having anything to do with this or future films, when we have no idea! So many of these posts are clearly presented/intended as if it was a certainty Spidey and/or Marvel will never, ever, even loosely, be connected to this

Bashing this film/franchise because it doesn't include Spider-man isn't speculation, and certainly not productive 'discussion.' It's a circuitous trashing of something based solely on conjecture, and definitive/predetermined condemnation of something that isn't definitive/yet-determined

This thread was about the box office. We've already heard your opinions on the movie and franchise in all the other threads
And..?

I will continue sharing my thoughts.

Well yes, of course me saying it could be successful is speculation, but that's still possible. I'm not saying it definitely WILL be a hit. What I'm referring to as unproductive is all the bashing and persistent negativity about Spider-man and/or Marvel having anything to do with this or future films, when we have no idea! So many of these posts are clearly presented/intended as if it was a certainty Spidey and/or Marvel will never, ever, even loosely, be connected to this

Bashing this film/franchise because it doesn't include Spider-man isn't speculation, and certainly not productive 'discussion.' It's a circuitous trashing of something based solely on conjecture, and definitive/predetermined condemnation of something that isn't definitive/yet-determined

No one is bashing....... sharing your skepticism isn’t bashing. Not everyone is going to 100 percent trust Sony giving recent events . We can say what we want. Positive and negative. It’s all speculation. If you don’t like how skeptical people are then make a venom positivity thread. Lots of people here are venom fans who believe spiderman is an important part to his mythos. Some don’t believe so. I think it’s best to tread lightly instead of getting to hype cause Sony isn’t trustworthy. No one is stopping you from thinking highly of the movie so stop telling people who are skeptical to stop voicing there opinions. It’s completely understandable for many to not go into this with overwhelming hype given how the asm franchise went. I think it looks ok so far but I’m not going to jump to conclusions

I would rather be here talking about how awesome the movie looks, but I just can't. I'm going to give my honest opinion as everyone should.

No one is bashing....... sharing your skepticism isn’t bashing. Not everyone is going to 100 percent trust Sony giving recent events . We can say what we want. Positive and negative. It’s all speculation. If you don’t like how skeptical people are then make a venom positivity thread. Lots of people here are venom fans who believe spiderman is an important part to his mythos. Some don’t believe so. I think it’s best to tread lightly instead of getting to hype cause Sony isn’t trustworthy. No one is stopping you from thinking highly of the movie so stop telling people who are skeptical to stop voicing there opinions. It’s completely understandable for many to not go into this with overwhelming hype given how the asm franchise went. I think it looks ok so far but I’m not going to jump to conclusions

I totally agree with this, and back it 100%. But the majority of what certain people are saying isn't skepticism or speculation, it's endless and cyclical posts saying "this sucks because of this" when the this they're referring to is completely unconfirmed! I absolutely understand skepticism, and I would never tell people not to display it, but blatant bashing/trashing, especially on unfounded topics -- which 100% is happening -- is pointless, unproductive and tiresome

Express your displeasure or aversion to things that you've seen, or things that have been confirmed as fact. That's what fuels good discussion. But endlessly spewing the same vitriol about things that are your own personal guesses, or complete conjecture, is just nonsense.. Negatively talking about things you've seen that you feel negatively about is perfectly justifiable, because you love the character/topic. But negative talk about something that you'll feel negative about regardless of what's put in front of you is just wasting everyone's time, as well as your own. And quite frankly, trolling

I totally agree with this, and back it 100%. But the majority of what certain people are saying isn't skepticism or speculation, it's endless and cyclical posts saying "this sucks because of this" when the this they're referring to is completely unconfirmed! I absolutely understand skepticism, and I would never tell people not to display it, but blatant bashing/trashing, especially on unfounded topics -- which 100% is happening -- is pointless, unproductive and tiresome

Express your displeasure or aversion to things that you've seen, or things that have been confirmed as fact. That's what fuels good discussion. But endlessly spewing the same vitriol about things that are your own personal guesses, or complete conjecture, is just nonsense.. Negatively talking about things you've seen that you feel negatively about is perfectly justifiable, because you love the character/topic. But negative talk about something that you'll feel negative about regardless of what's put in front of you is just wasting everyone's time, as well as your own. And quite frankly, trolling

No you just don’t like the opinions presented so you consider it trolling. Again if someone doesn’t find something they don’t like it’s not ur job to shut them up. We are doing just fine discussing why venom can and can’t work well with Spider-Man. Everyone is a fan and can say what they want. Just because you don’t agree with what a poster says doesn’t mean they should go away. I see you all the time silencing anyone who has a negative opinion on the movie. It’s completely understandable to be wary. Most of us didn’t like the amazing Spider-Man franchise like you do a Sony made movie by the same people raised eyebrows. So again we can say what we want. Positive and negative it’s all speculation and debating. Just cause you don’t like an opinion doesn’t mean it’s trolling. Fans have every right to voice there concerns.

Also people voicing concerns is great for discussion. It’s not like people are saying the movie sucks. Then you’ll have something to complain about

Last edited:
I don't see it making more than Ready Player One, unless the movie is great and that's a big ? as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"