Ant-Man and the Wasp - Box Office Discussion

tCUuCZ6.png

:yay:

Probably not. Still, it’s doing extremely well, though. I just thought it’d be funny, since I saw some guy on YouTube laughing about how Justice League made more money than Ant-Man and the Wasp. That standpoint is particularly mind blowing, given that he’s crowing about how a movie with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash made less than $100 million more than a movie starring Ant-Man and Wasp.

This is pretty amazing too. AM&TW is very likely to end up as the top non-Avengers superhero film in China, ever.

Probably not. Still, it’s doing extremely well, though. I just thought it’d be funny, since I saw some guy on YouTube laughing about how Justice League made more money than Ant-Man and the Wasp. That standpoint is particularly mind blowing, given that he’s crowing about how a movie with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash made less than $100 million more than a movie starring Ant-Man and Wasp.

Yeah, anyone crowing about JL beating AM&TW by ~$30 million WW (which seem about where it will land) can be safely ignored, because JL cost $138 million more to make! In fact, the combined budgets of both Ant-Man films, which together will make over $1.1 billion, are still $8 million less than the $300 million WB spent on JL.

Where? :hehe: :oldrazz:.

So 625 mil is looking like a lock ?

Ending with 630-640 mil WW ?

Or am i missing something ?

So 625 mil is looking like a lock ?

Ending with 630-640 mil WW ?

Or am i missing something ?
No, I’d say that’s about it. I was thinking 620-635, so we’re in the same ballpark.

The Boxoffice is looking more healthy now...... Its just that..if they had released this at around the same time all over the world (well as many countries as possible), this would have deffo grossed much more (especially in countries like UK).

The UK has taken a significant hit for sure, even if the number is good. For anyone living here it would be clear that a chunk of money has been left on the table. Of all the people I know who usually see the Marvel films as they open, a big proportion of them haven't seen AM&W yet. The reasons like "haven't got around to it yet" I've not heard for anything MCU since before the first Avengers came out. I don't think many people in countries like the U.S. can appreciate what the World Cup means and particularly when your country gets to a semi-final which is better than anything else in the last 28 years. And the event lasts for a month, it's no Mayweather Pacquiao which can only affect one day or one weekend at the most. The decision to delay was right, but really they should have done a global release a fair while after. Countries like China and Japan are used to getting their films late but here the hype goes if the release is too late.

This is pretty amazing too. AM&TW is very likely to end up as the top non-Avengers superhero film in China, ever.

Never would have expected that and it shows just how huge the MCU juggernaut has become there.

Anyone knows why Boxofficemojo is listing the gross of Infinity War in China as 359,5 mil instead of 377,5 mil ?

Why the 18 mil difference ?

Anyone knows why Boxofficemojo is listing the gross of Infinity War in China as 359,5 mil instead of 377,5 mil ?

Why the 18 mil difference ?
Exchange rates probably. I suspect that 377 is using rates from back in May.

The UK has taken a significant hit for sure, even if the number is good. For anyone living here it would be clear that a chunk of money has been left on the table. Of all the people I know who usually see the Marvel films as they open, a big proportion of them haven't seen AM&W yet. The reasons like "haven't got around to it yet" I've not heard for anything MCU since before the first Avengers came out. I don't think many people in countries like the U.S. can appreciate what the World Cup means and particularly when your country gets to a semi-final which is better than anything else in the last 28 years. And the event lasts for a month, it's no Mayweather Pacquiao which can only affect one day or one weekend at the most. The decision to delay was right, but really they should have done a global release a fair while after. Countries like China and Japan are used to getting their films late but here the hype goes if the release is too late.
Yup, the UK is definitely underperforming. AM&TW is only at about $20 million right now. First film did 25 so the second ought to have gone to 30 or more.

Safe to say we're getting an AM3 at this point. Even if these are not $1B movies, they are money makers.

well...when its all said and done on 31st dec 2018, AM&TW will probably be in the top 10 of the biggest WW grossing films of this year (or at the very least 11 or 12th position).

Thats pretty impressive for an ant man movie

well...when its all said and done on 31st dec 2018, AM&TW will probably be in the top 10 of the biggest WW grossing films of this year (or at the very least 11 or 12th position).

Yep.

What movies could outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Venom?
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald?
Ralph Breaks the Internet?
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?
Mary Poppins Returns?
Aquaman?
Bumblebee?

Tack on another $1.2 million in China Monday, per BOT.

Mojo updated domestic numbers through Monday so the WW estimate (not including the China Monday numbers above) is:

Domestic: $213,769,458 35.9%
+ Foreign: $381,400,000 64.1%
= Worldwide: $595,169,458

So what do we figure? That it'll cross the $600M mark before the next weekend hits?

Wow X-Men: Apocalypse did really well in China.
It really is quite a surprise just how well AM&W has done there. And I didn't realise Apocalypse made so much there. Quite a big proportion of it's worldwide gross.

Its gonna be in the top 10 for sure.I dont see 4 movies surpassing it.
Yep.

What movies could outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Venom?
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald?
Ralph Breaks the Internet?
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?
Mary Poppins Returns?
Aquaman?
Bumblebee?
Yes those are the contenders. Maybe we can add Mortal Engines in the list.

Mortal Engines is an unknown property and i dont see it making past 400 mil. Maybe if China explodes.

Poppins isnt as popular worldwide as many think. Its box office potential is a mystery.

The Spiderman movie is an animated one. Its not gonna do big numbers like the live action movies do.

Ralph will slightly improve over the original imho. 500-550 mil. I wont be suprised if it does less.

Venom is a Sony movie and i dont trust it.

Aquaman is a DCEU movie who are we kidding here. It will be lucky if it does 600 mil.

Bumblebee comes of the "disaster" of Transformers 5.

I doubt more than 3 of those movies can surpass A&ATW since its heading for a 625 mil finish.

So what do we figure? That it'll cross the $600M mark before the next weekend hits?
I’d say so, tho we may not know since the OS numbers won’t be officially updated until Sunday.

Weekend actuals from Japan, via corpse at world of kj. Came in a touch higher than predicted.

Weekend Actuals (09/01-02)
01 (01) ¥339,473,500 ($3.1 million), -19%, ¥1,426,453,600 ($12.8 million), Killing for the Prosecutors (Toho) WK2
02 (---) ¥322,210,000 ($2.9 million), 0, ¥434,265,200 ($3.9 million), Ant-Man and the Wasp (Disney) NEW
03 (02) ¥308,185,600 ($2.8 million), -17%, ¥2,439,728,700 ($22.0 million), Gintama 2 (Warner Bros.) WK3

>Ant-Man and the Wasp debuts in second place, selling a solid 238,979 admissions over the weekend frame across 656 screens. While it was unable to open atop the weekend box-office (and ranked third in admissions...), its debut is an impressive 67% higher than its predecessor. Marvel/DC films are often frontloaded in the market, but a total just above ¥1.5 billion ($14/15 million) should be doable.

Box office stats of Ant-Man 2 update:

Marvel Cinematic Universe:

EiPojyl.png

Stamina of the Top 10 domestic earners >$200M (2015-2018):

oF6JOHy.png

x5Y6IEY.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads