Ant-Man and the Wasp Rotten Tomatoes Thread

Ultron was far more of a threat than Ares. I liked Age of Ultron we got alot of good stuff from it.
Save for a few questionable character and story choices, AoU is a pretty decent CBM that improved upon TA1 in a couple areas.

Save for a few questionable character and story choices, AoU is a pretty decent CBM that improved upon TA1 in a couple areas.
That 2nd act lull hurt the film, and while I disagree about improving on TA1 in any way, I do feel AOU is a solid film, it just wasn't as a good as it's predecessor and it contributed to the feeling of it being disappointing.

That 2nd act lull hurt the film, and while I disagree about improving on TA1 in any way, I do feel AOU is a solid film, it just wasn't as a good as it's predecessor and it contributed to the feeling of it being disappointing.
I'd say cinematography, costume/set design, and a couple of the action sequences were better.

As for AM&W, it's looking like it'll finish above 85% and around a 6.9 overall rating, both of which are higher than the first's. Not bad for a franchise deemed "flavor of the week" a few years back.

I'm on the same page about AoU. It's still in my top 5 MCU, actually. Really enjoy it.

Anyway, glad the streak for "Certified Fresh" movies will continue with Ant-Man and the Wasp. Hopefully we get a third one in 2021! fingers crossed

I would think the chance for a 3rd one is now like 50/50. The box office estimate now is decent though doesn’t guarantee another one.

The story is there with Janet (her evolution? New power) in the mix and the mysterious lab buyer that was never named.

It really depends on how the other franchises perform in the next year or so. With the potential fox buy, MCU will be spoiled with choices.

Last edited:
I think they can easily squeeze it in and why not? Let Ant-Man get his trilogy.

As of now I think 2020 is looking look Guardians 3, Black Widow and probably Strange 2 with 2021 being Black Panther 2, Ant-Man 3 and the Eternals.

Last edited:
I would love to see a third one too but afraid it’s not a lock yet. Btw I realized I might have dropped a spoiler so I tagged it and you may want to delete my quote in your post. Cheers.

I would think the chance for a 3rd one is now like 50/50. The box office estimate now is decent though doesn’t guarantee another one.

The story is there with Janet (her evolution? New power) in the mix and the mysterious lab buyer that was never named.

It really depends on how the other franchises perform in the next year or so. With the potential fox buy, MCU will be spoiled with choices.
Have to think they'll give Ant-Man a trilogy since Marvel tends to reward its franchises like that.

I don't see why they wouldn't give it a 3rd. They are not expecting billions.

Ant-Man provides the small scale adventure break that is needed. They can also put in a cameo for his third move. The 1st had Falcon but they can do a bigger name or more than one cameo.

Ant-Man 2 didn't cost them 250 million to make.... Ant-Man movies are smaller in scale and budget so Ant-Man 3 is a given. It is not gonna stop in 2 movies most especially its characters are appearing in Avengers 4.

I don't see why they wouldn't give it a 3rd. They are not expecting billions.

Ant-Man provides the small scale adventure break that is needed. They can also put in a cameo for his third move. The 1st had Falcon but they can do a bigger name or more than one cameo.
Exactly!

"This has been a big year for Marvel: Black Panther, Infinity War and our movie. And those two movies which are amazing, are juggernauts. We're a different thing, we're like a smaller thing [...]. Someone referred to our movie like a palate cleanser [...] okay, that's make sense." - Peyton Reed.

[YT]XQWaGh1Uds8[/YT]

Ant-Man 2 didn't cost them 250 million to make.... Ant-Man movies are smaller in scale and budget so Ant-Man 3 is a given. It is not gonna stop in 2 movies most especially its characters are appearing in Avengers 4.

Exactly. MCU is a success and 2018 is their biggest year, but they can't have Infinity War scale in every movie; they also need smaller movies like AMATW if the franchise wants to keep going.

When the "smaller" franchise has a sequel that opened with a 30-40% increase over the original how is that not a success?

Not sure why would anyone question this franchise continuing. It's clearly on the upswing with better box office and better reviews.

Last edited:
I think it'll get a third film. The team of writers and Reed seems to have plenty of ideas of where they want to go going by interviews and the entire cast all seem to enjoy their filming and seem willing. The film elements itself with Janet returning, Hope now a bona-fide stud, quantum realm stuff, lends itself with plenty more to explore and no hint what so ever of a close ended chapter there. BO, even if just a minor improvement, I don't think is gonna sway Feige one way or another as a determinant factor. The man has shown an eagerness to expand all corners of his universe if the creative team have the right ideas and push. Ant-man, Spider-man, Black Widow and such seems to cover the smaller scale corner and is needed of the MCU I think for a nice change of pace.

The Ant-Man franchise could easily gone down the typical superhero route and done the serious, save-the-Earth thing over and over, but they instead went for a smaller, comedic tone that the MCU didn't have before them. With its smaller budgets, they can afford to less at the box office than their bigger MCU blockbuster brethren.

The Ant-Man franchise could easily gone down the typical superhero route and done the serious, save-the-Earth thing over and over, but they instead went for a smaller, comedic tone that the MCU didn't have before them. With its smaller budgets, they can afford to less at the box office than their bigger MCU blockbuster brethren.

Exactly. If MCU movies have to save the world in every movie, they'd paint themselves into a corner because it'd make no sense why all the superheroes won't team up in every occasion. By making some movies like AMATW small and intimate, they can keep the franchise going along.

Exactly. If MCU movies have to save the world in every movie, they'd paint themselves into a corner because it'd make no sense why all the superheroes won't team up in every occasion. By making some movies like AMATW small and intimate, they can keep the franchise going along.

I'm not buying the whole "small and intimate" excuse. The MCU has already done that MUCH better in the past and especially in their most recent films. The problem wasn't that AMATW was small and intimate IMO. Really look at Black Panther and the conflict if it for the most part was contained and small scale, but if still felt compelling. I know technically you could argue the threat in that was "global" but for the most part it was way more personal with the dynamics of T'Challa and his family.

Or even with Spiderman:Homecoming there wasn't a global threat that he was "saving the world" in that movie. Again that conflict was mostly personal and small scale. The difference is though it was done small scale it still didn't feel like filler. You still were introduced to a bunch of interesting elements in the film that felt like they paid off.

And this of course is not to even mention the original Antman. The original Antman was small scale but had enough charm and new elements to make it feel interesting and fresh.

AMATW was just whatever. It felt like a filler, which is a waste IMO. But that has nothing to do with the "small scale" of it, because movies like Spiderman: Homecoming and Black Panther both show you can do that well. It just needed to be more interesting.

Overall I liked AMATW but it is more of a 7/10 so it's definitely understandable that it has an average rating of 7/10.

What is wrong with 7/10? Maybe that is what they were shooting for. And how do you know nothing interesting was introduced in this movie? For all we know, the things introduced in this movie could well be key plot points for A4.

This was the intro for the Wasp. Nonsensical to say it didn’t introduce anything. Plus the Quantum realm, Janet, Ghost, possibly seeds to Stature in Avengers 4.

What is wrong with 7/10? Maybe that is what they were shooting for. And how do you know nothing interesting was introduced in this movie? For all we know, the things introduced in this movie could well be key plot points for A4.
Based on some of the BTS photos of A4, it shows Ant-Man with the rest of the Avengers in some type of flashback to the events of A1 so we should probably expect him to play some major role in that happening.

When the "smaller" franchise has a sequel that opened with a 30-40% increase over the original how is that not a success?

Not sure why would anyone question this franchise continuing. It's clearly on the upswing with better box office and better reviews.

Hmmmmm I didn’t say it wasn’t a success. I said it’s decent. Well one can say it’s still not an exact wording of success if one wishes to spin it that way. Then alright. Guilty. My very first post on BO had it 650m max and said it would be a good number.

I hate to repeat myself but I have also said in another post: “it would be a pity if there won’t be a third one and call it Ant-men and the Wasps”

But whether there will be a third will hinge upon other factors. I was saying 50/50 not Zero. Only people here are 100% sure beyond any reasonable doubts hellbent on it having a third. Even people involved in this movie have doubts if anyone cares to search on the internet.

Oh by the way I still think the chance of having a third Antman is 50/50 I’m not yet convinced by this majorly smashing successful BO number yet. I won’t be surprised if I don’t see another one but will be somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
But whether there will be a third will hinge upon other factors. I was saying 50/50 not Zero. Only people here are 100% sure beyond any reasonable doubts hellbent on it having a third. Even people involved in this movie have doubts if anyone cares to search on the internet.
Thinking this has more to do with not spoiling A4 and what is to come after. Marvel does not want to spoil phase 4. Spider-Man is partnership with Sony so of course they have to announce to sequel. GOTG is a team so announcing it does not spoil anything. They just recently announced Dr.Strange is getting his sequel. MCU will have 3 movies a year and eventually 4 so it really would be easy to put the 3rd Ant-Man movie in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"