Voltron: Legendary Defender

If that's important, I want some more Jewish character representation and characters who are openly Jewish.

Why "if"? More representation is important. And if a character reinforced tired tropes of Jewish representation, I would understand the right for critiques to exist. I wouldn't use another identity to mock or dismiss critiques.

Why "if"? More representation is important. And if a character reinforced tired tropes of Jewish representation, I would understand the right for critiques to exist. I wouldn't use another identity to mock or dismiss critiques.

I find the lack of representation of Jewish characters in these shows disappointing.

I find the lack of representation of Jewish characters in these shows disappointing.

I doubt you're genuine but I'll bite. I understand your disappointment and it sucks not being represented. Since you're disappointed, you could probably understand why I might be disappointed with yet another dead queer.

Since you called critiques of Voltron "dumb" on the last page, is it just LGBTQ representation that you're ok with dismissing?

Last edited:
I doubt you're genuine but I'll bite. I understand your disappointment and it sucks not being represented. Since you're disappointed, you could probably understand why I might be disappointed with yet another dead queer.

Since you called critiques of Voltron "dumb" on the last page, is it just LGBTQ representation that you're ok with dismissing?

Shiro is one of the main characters on the show, and he's LGBTQ, right? He's a major part of the show.

His lover is dead. But I mean, is there some unwritten rule that depicting a character of a certain race, ethnicity, or minority means that the writers are prejudiced against said group?

I feel like outrage culture almost tries to shout down creators depicting some sort of obstacle or terrible tragedy to befall a character. Depiction of an act is not necessarily an approval of said act.

Last edited:
Nothing has stopped creators from associating queer people with tragedy and it seems like nothing ever will. I've already said I like Shiro. I don't like that his sexuality has only been addressed in service of tragedy.

Nothing has stopped creators from associating queer people with tragedy and it seems like nothing ever will. I've already said I like Shiro. I don't like that his sexuality has only been addressed in service of tragedy.

I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but I mean this is a fictional storyline and tragedy is a part of drama. Shiro is one of the main characters in a sci-fi space opera, and I don't think there is some deliberate mean-spirited organized attempt here to associate homosexuality with tragedy no more so than Game of Thrones hates women because women on the show have been violently assaulted and raped by men. And those acts symbolizing some sort of sick approval of such acts by depicting them.

Voltron doesnt exist in a bubble. It's not surprising that a culture that links queerness it tragedy produces stories where queerness only exists as tragedy.

Voltron doesnt exist in a bubble. It's not surprising that a culture that links queerness it tragedy produces stories where queerness only exists as tragedy.

Sort of a loaded statement, don't you think? I would say there's more to Shiro than being a "tragic queer" and exists as more than just tragedy.

Also my problem with your statement is that it seems to suggest storytellers can't depict tragedy as it relates to gay characters or relationships because of this perception.

Shiro's sexuality has only come up in terms of tragedy. We dont get fun gay flirting from any characters or romantic tension (that will be canonical at least) or anything that isn't tragedy. You can tell lots of different kinds of stories, but Voltron told one that has been repeated over and over. I grew up watching media in which the only time I saw myself represnted was through tragedy (death, mourning, grief). I speak out because I want this pattern to end.

Shiro's sexuality has only come up in terms of tragedy. We dont get fun gay flirting from any characters or romantic tension (that will be canonical at least) or anything that isn't tragedy. You can tell lots of different kinds of stories, but Voltron told one that has been repeated over and over. I grew up watching media in which the only time I saw myself represnted was through tragedy (death, mourning, grief). I speak out because I want this pattern to end.

I understand wanting to see greater representation for LGBTQ characters. Just as I want to see a greater depiction of strong Jewish superheroes, which so far has been no dice on. However, I think your statement is sort of over-generalizing the issue and a gross over-exaggeration.

Are the writers and producers of Batwoman on notice to avoid getting any tragic events for the character of Kathy Kane, lest it be accused of being a "bury your gays" or "queer-baiting" show?

You can count on criticism if all we get in Batwoman is a dead girlfriend. That's not likely the case and the show will hopefully touch on other dimensions of her sexuality (like happiness, flirting, intimacy, joy, sex, activism, etc). Batwoman is also the protagonist wheras Shiro is part of a large ensamble cast so your comparison isnt very helpful.

You can count on criticism if all we get in Batwoman is a dead girlfriend. That's not likely the case and the show will hopefully touch on other dimensions of her sexuality (like happiness, flirting, intimacy, joy, sex, activism, etc). Batwoman is also the protagonist wheras Shiro is part of a large ensamble cast so your comparison isnt very helpful.

I mean for significant run of the show, Shiro was the Black Lion pilot and the leader of the Voltron Force. He's clearly more than just tragedy. He's a hero.

I mean for significant run of the show, Shiro was the Black Lion pilot and the leader of the Voltron Force. He's clearly more than just tragedy. He's a hero.

Except all his sexuality has given him is someone to mourn. We didnt even know he was gay until this season.

Except all his sexuality has given him is someone to mourn. We didnt even know he was gay until this season.

OK, but we know now. To say that's all it has given him is a stretch.

They better be hiding the Robeasts. I need more Robeast battles.

Agree to disagree. True, there could've been a few more scenes developing that angle, but that was always the endgame from the beginning. People who say she's using Lance as a rebound have no clue how relationships work, or have never been in one (as so many Voltron fangirls on Tumblr tend to get too irked about).

As for Allura moving on... it was about a few months at the very least before they got to Earth? Plenty of time for her to reflect on things and seeing Lance in a new light now that he's grown and how much their friendship has developed. We have to see how they'll develop the relationship in S8 before making assumptions on how it'll go down.

Don't appreciate opponents being condescending either. I'm a grow-up person, who has been in long-term relationships, and my opinion is based on this personal experience. I can see different people having different life experiences, though, so I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. But still I agree to disagree.
it was about a few months at the very least before they got to Earth?
Even so? There was no meaningful interaction shown between them in that period. What do they share in common? She knew Lance long before and much more than Lotor, but still she had no doubt about entering the romantic relationship with Lotor, even after she found out about Lance's feelings. Whatever happens in the last season, it will happen AFTER she suddenly crushed on Lance out of nowhere.

I wasn't being condescending? Just that I'm on the Voltron Tumblr tag from time to time and most people there I've seen misunderstand the definition of what a rebound actually is.

As for Allura's developing feelings, again, somewhat agree to disagree. I do agree with you on the fact that it could've been much better developed. Heck, a lot of aspects of the show could have, but it is what it is. At least it's slightly better than to appease some of the rabid Klance fangirls with a sudden romantic turnaround between Lance and Keith. Now that would be especially forced and out of nowhere at this point in time.

If so, then I'm sorry, that's me not being a native English speaker. I thought "rebound" is exactly what I described in my first post.

Totally agree about Klance, I don't even understand, where did it come from, much less its popularity. Still, it doesn't mean it's necessary one thing or the other? There is no need for romantic relationships in Voltron at all. I would have been totally fine, if Allura and Lance were just left alone. Still, there was much more build-up between her and Lotor, which looks weird, if Allurance was indeed planned as an endgame from the beggining.

With Klance, I think it was some fans reading into scenes too much, such as the facial expressions and line delivery. Two guys can be very close but not automatically be in a homosexual relationship. And let's not mention the stunts some of them pulled to make the ship canon. -__-'

But anyway yeah, romance was never the driving force for Voltron for me. It was the mech battles, characterizations and plot. As for Lotor's change, I feel like they initially wanted to make him like Loki but then just decided to drive him mad. No clue what they'll do with his return, but hopefully it's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"