Walking Through Pryde: The Kitty Thread

the a1ant

Awesome
Reaction score
Walking Through Pryde:
The Kitty Thread

Welcome to the official thread dedicated solely to the character of Kitty Pryde (aka Shadowcat) in the forthcoming X-MEN 3, as well as discussion of the character cameos in X1/X2.
Lets talk about the comic book character, the actresses that have played the role, and the role of Kitty in X3. Also feel free to post your favorite pictures of Kitty from comics and film!

This thread will also serve as an info source for Ellen Page...our new X3 Kitty.

untitledkitty.jpg

Ellen Page: Kitty Pryde (X3)
EllenPageBW.jpg

*Ellen Page IMDB Profile [Click Here]

*Ellen Page Talks X3:

“It’s just so huge,” she says. “It just blows my mind. I’m so used to doing tough, intense material in like 18 days or 24 days, for not much money. It’s truly the complete opposite of anything I’ve ever done.”

Onscreen, in often challenging roles in films like Marion Bridge and the upcoming Hard Candy, Page has the fierce gravity of a Holly Hunter or, closer to her own age bracket, a Jena Malone. In person, the diminutive teen—the five feet of her dressed in jeans, a maroon thrift store t-shirt, an army-green newsboy cap and weathered orange Converse—is laidback, polite and unassuming. She speaks confidently and evenly. The tensest moment comes when she protests a complimentary coffee.

In X-Men 3, Page plays Kitty Pryde, who popped up briefly in the respective forms of Sumela Kay and Katie Stuart in the first two films. “She can run through walls, and grab people and pull them through walls,” says Page, wrapping her hands around a mug of French roast. “Not very flashy—it’s kind of the humble defensive power.”

Her background knowledge of the X-Men story is limited, so she’s been reading up. She knows “people will just kill you if you don’t do it to justice.” But beyond the long, choppy, auburn extensions seamlessly woven into her short brown locks, there’s nothing left for Page to do until she lands on the west...[Continued]

Lord. I know this is mean, and I think she will probably hopefully do Kitty justice, but what is with her forehead? I seriously hope it's just distorted or something that pic, because that's a huge forehead.

What is the extent of Kitty's role in this?

Pretty much, she seems to be serving as a ''homewrecker", way of breaking up Bobby/Rogue.

Katie Stuart: Kitty Pryde (X2)
kittykatiestuart.jpg

*Katie Stuart's Official Website [Click Here]

*Katie Stuart Article From the X2 Days:

A Vancouver native best known for her stint on the TV series "The Crow: Stairway to Heaven," Stuart still isn't sure how she snagged her current role, which was played in the first film by Sumela Kay. "I've never met the girl, but I feel bad about it," Stuart says. "I'm assuming that she looks older than Kitty Pryde should. I'm 18, but I still pull off 14 pretty well."

Except when she straightens her naturally wavy hair, as she did during preproduction. The unexpected side effect: She resembled co-star Anna Paquin. "I almost didn't get the part because they thought that I looked too much like her," says Stuart, who quickly reverted to her original coif.

You'd think she'd have more job security, having worked with Professor X himself, Patrick Stewart, in the 1997 flick "Masterminds." But Stuart's more interested in sharing the screen with another "X2" actor: Daniel Cudmore. In the comic, Colossus and Kitty were once romantically involved -- a fact that clearly intrigues the 5-foot-2 actress. "I don't think I'd have any problems doing that," she purrs, sounding more vixen than kitten. "I might need a footstool, but we could pull it off." [Source]

Sumela Kay: Kitty Pryde (X1)
sumelakitty.jpg

untitled333.jpg

Source: Wikipedia
History/Bio (Comics)

Shadowcat (Katherine "Kitty" Anne Pryde) is a comic book superhero in the Marvel Comics universe. She used the code-names Sprite and Ariel early in her career and is a member of the X-Men. She first appeared in X-Men #129 (January 1980). She is notable as one of the few recognizably Jewish characters in Marvel Comics.
Katherine "Kitty" Pryde was born in Deerfield, Illinois , United States to Carmen and Theresa Pryde.

Her paternal grandfather, Samuel Prydeman, was a European Jew, known to have been held in a Nazi concentration camp during World War II. His married sister Chava Rosanoff is reported to have died during the Holocaust. Samuel was rescued by the United States Army at the end of World War II in Europe in 1945. He soon immigrated to the United States.

As an adolescent of thirteen years of age, Kitty started suffering from recurring headaches. Unknown to her was that these resulted from her body trying to cope with her new powers. Kitty was a mutant, with the ability to become intangible and walk through solid matter. An ability Kitty herself calls "phasing".
Shortly thereafter Pryde was approached by both Professor Charles Francis Xavier and the Hellfire Club's White Queen, Emma Frost. Taking an instant dislike to the White Queen, she chose to go with Xavier. When Emma kidnapped Xavier and the X-Men, Kitty helped fight to free them. Proving herself in this battle, she joined the X-Men soon after.

Being a thirteen year old girl among a team of combat trained adults, Kitty became something of the team's mascot character. Dressing in ridiculously colored outfits and going by cute names such as 'Ariel' and 'Sprite', Kitty led a relatively care free existance among the X-Men.

This changed when Kitty became possessed by the demon ninja, Ogun. While in Japan assisting her father, who had gotten caught up in a bit of organized crime, Kitty was brainwashed by Ogun into thinking she was his assassin. Ogun bestowed upon Kitty a virtual lifetime of martial arts training and sent to her kill her fellow X-Man, Wolverine. Now calling herself Shadowcat, Kitty was able to resist Ogun's influence with Wolverine's help (and tough love). Kitty and Wolverine defeated Ogun and in the process formed a strong teacher/student bond with each other which remains to this day. Nevertheless, Kitty returned to the X-Men a changed girl, no longer the innocent and carefree Sprite they knew.

Despite Professor X's attempt to move her to The New Mutants after they were formed, she remained an X-Man for several years. During this time she developed a crush on her teammate Colossus. Also during this time, her life was saved by a small alien dragon when the X-Men were fighting the Brood; the dragon, who she named Lockheed and who has been her frequent companion since. During the Morlock Massacre, she was injured by Harpoon's energy spear and lost control of her phasing abilities. She was eventually cured with the help of both Doctor Doom and Mr. Fantastic. During Kitty's absence from the team, however, the X-Men had died fighting the Adversary. Unaware that Roma had returned the X-Men to life, Kitty joined the British team Excalibur. It was during her time with Excalibur that Kitty inherited her friend Magik's Soul Sword, and that she became romantically involved with scruffy British bad-boy Peter Wisdom.

Eventually Excalibur disbanded and Kitty ended her relationship with Wisdom. She returned to the X-Men, but left again after the apparent death of Colossus. She went on to attend the University of Chicago, trying to give herself a normal life. It was during this time her father was killed when Cassandra Nova's wild sentinels destroyed Genosha.

Recently, she once again rejoined the X-Men at the urging of Cyclops and Emma Frost. On one of the new team's first missions, Kitty discovered Colossus alive and imprisoned in a research facility. The full repercussions of this discovery have yet to be seen.

Powers & Abilities:
Shadowcat possesses the ability to "phase" -- pass through solid matter by passing her atoms through the spaces between the atoms of the object through which she is moving. Utilizing her phasing ability she can also walk on air. While phasing she is intangible and thus invulnerable to physical attacks; additionally, telepaths have a hard time reaching her mind in phased form. Her phasing powers also disrupt any electronic equipment she passes through.

Due to a battle injury, Kitty Pryde became unable to control her phasing abilities, and nearly faded out of existence. Although Reed Richards and Doctor Doom saved her life, for years she was only able to become solid through great effort; she has since overcome this disability.

Shadowcat is a genius in the field of applied technology such as computers. She is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, having been trained in the arts of aikido and karate. After the martial arts master known as Ogun possessed her and imprinted his mind onto hers, Shadowcat became skilled in the arts of ninjitsu, which she was later trained extensively by her one time mentor, Wolverine. She has had training in gymnastics and is a professional dancer.

I picked up the second issue of the new miniseries "Kitty Pryde: Shadow & Flame," and I must say, it's a very good read.

BTW: Katie Stewart is just...blecch. I thought Sumela was a good Kitty, but I'm excited to see how Ellen does.

Yes. Sumela really looks Kittyesque to me for some reason. I loved her small but effect cameo in X1. She even talked in a sweet spoken tone that I imagine Kitty would talk in.

I'm still interested to see how they are going to work her in seeing that they already essentially gave alot of her comic personality to the movieverse Rogue. I just hope they go straight to her excalibur days and later, sarcastic almost *****like character that again sees being a superhero as more of a curse than a blessing. Considering the other characters added it would fit the flow with angel and beast.

My fave Kitty so far has been Sumela Kay.

The good thing is that the three Kitty actresses are not that dissimilar... you can almost morph Sumela into Katie into Ellen and imagine that the person just got older.... I was really worried about the fact that three people had played this part, but seeing the pictures together actually makes me feel the actresses have been well-chosen, even though Sumela seemed more grown-up than Katie in X2...

X-Maniac said:
The good thing is that the three Kitty actresses are not that dissimilar... you can almost morph Sumela into Katie into Ellen and imagine that the person just got older.... I was really worried about the fact that three people had played this part, but seeing the pictures together actually makes me feel the actresses have been well-chosen, even though Sumela seemed more grown-up than Katie in X2...

yeah except for the fact that Sumela looks around 17, Katie looks 12, and then Ellen looks 15...not really a good morph.

I think that Sumela was the best for the role. But I am optimistic about Ellen!

true that...with the recent pic of Ellen with her hair long covering that massive forhead she looks pretty good.

snwboarder88 said:
yeah except for the fact that Sumela looks around 17, Katie looks 12, and then Ellen looks 15...not really a good morph.

You are just here to disagree so i expect that from you.

In my opinion, they have facial resemblances - even Katie's forehead is quite like Ellen's. I can't see how you can say they look such a specific age. These days people's looks and ages can be wildly different. Sumela might only look older because of her hairstyle.

But, then you will disagree, because that's you. And I am getting used to it.

X-Maniac said:
You are just here to disagree so i expect that from you.

In my opinion, they have facial resemblances - even Katie's forehead is quite like Ellen's. I can't see how you can say they look such a specific age. These days people's looks and ages can be wildly different. Sumela might only look older because of her hairstyle.

But, then you will disagree, because that's you. And I am getting used to it.

still unable to move on...sign of maturity

snwboarder88 said:
still unable to move on...sign of maturity

I am not sure what particular issue you have with me, but I am here to stay, or come and go as i please.

My opinion is mine. And not about to be changed by you.

As for maturity, you - aged 16 or 17 - is telling me about maturity, when i am more than twice your age? Get real.

17...and someone that is twice my age telling me to "get real" when you dont even know me is really mature!

snwboarder88 said:
17...and someone that is twice my age telling me to "get real" when you dont even know me is really mature!

Of course it is, because I am more mature. That's obvious. It's a fact because I am older.

I am still not sure what issue you have with me. Would you care to spell out what your problem is?

just because you are older than someone does not mean your more mature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"