WB's "no joke policy"

Lol wut? How has he been "failing"?
And it'd be a stretch to call either if them show runners.

Because there are some things that don't make sense when it comes to the continuity between movies.

It's not a stretch.

As Bleeding Cool now tells it, Warner Bros. and DC Comics seem to be getting their ducks in a row by handing down the mandate that any DC movie project needs to go through Goyer. As reported by the website:

I understand that people looking at making films based on the likes of Suicide Squad, Booster Gold, Deathstroke and even Team 7 have been told that they have to partner or work with Goyer as producer.

I guess Marvel is becoming synonymous with action comedy. I felt it in the Avengers with the crowd reactions at the pointless jokes like the galaga one and its carried on more and more since. Unfortunately for me, it isnt a style that makes me appreciate the movie beyond a first view. I think with the netflix series well see something more serious from Marvel.

I also think this whole no jokes thing is someone trying to throw negative publicity with knowledge that DC is going to consciously attempt at presenting a different style of comic book movies. I think WB is doing the right thing and keeping the real danger in real world approach. The humor will be there in a subtle way, it doesnt have to be a omg the characters pants fell down lmaaoo slapstick type comedy that totally kills it.

Well the thing about DC is they are trying to be seen as trying not to copy Marvel. In GOTG the tone is light and humorous but serious when needed. Also WB needs to understand that StarLord in the movie and the comics is humorous and makes joke. If The Flash or even plastic man is on board the JLA then some humor is to be expected.

New Line Exec on Shazam said:
Emmerich does allow that the movie “will have a sense of fun and a sense of humor. But the stakes have to be real.”

Grand opening grand closing

WB needs a show runner like Feige to keep all their ducks in a row and to make sure the continuity from movie to movie makes sense.
That being said, here's a solid article about WB's mishandling of their DC properties: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies/

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...:o

Sounds like a biased and one sided opinion article to me.

Plus WB's/DCU are just barely getting started when it comes to putting together their filmverse.

How can they not know what they are doing when it hasn't even really started yet?

Terrible....tired article from another obvious DC hater. :doh:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...:o

Sounds like a biased and one sided opinion article to me.

Plus WB's/DCU are just barely getting started when it comes to putting together their filmverse.

How can they not know what they are doing when it hasn't even really started yet?

Terrible....tired article from another obvious DC hater. :doh:

It's easy to call someone "one-sided" and "bias" when they don't agree with you.
Also, you can gauge how much they do or don't know what they're doing based on that one film. A lot of the creative decisions didn't sit well with a lot of peole, and it appears a lot of those missteps are going to be repeated.

It's easy to call someone "one-sided" and "bias" when they don't agree with you.
Also, you can gauge how much they do or don't know what they're doing based on that one film. A lot of the creative decisions didn't sit well with a lot of peole, and it appears a lot of those missteps are going to be repeated.

It sure is easy...especially when the persons opinions are presumptuous and not really valid and are completely off the wall.

I absolutely disagree with your assessment and opinion and NO....you can't "gauge" how much they do or don't know based on MOS. If you want to look at it that way...I confident WB's/DC/Snyder know what they are doing to get this DCCU off that ground.

MOS was well liked by many people and it seems the people who had certain criticisms were once again....more presumptuous....especially since the supposed "issues" in MOS will be addressed in BvS from a narrative standpoint from what it seems.

Like I said...that persons opinion is a tired and old one and he is just beating a dead horse. He will also probably be one of the first people in line to watch the film and look for reasons to not like it. Kinda predictable.

I know. It's lame.....tired.....and :doh:

WB/DC are not building a new microprocessor or a new rocket ship to go to Mars, they're creating comic film and television adaptations of comic book properties. There are probably multiple distinct ways to do this in a manner that both allows the company to make money and allows the creatives to tell interesting stories. They don't need to be slaves to any strategy already implemented by somebody else.

Aside from that, those who understand how capitalism and marketing works understand that WB/DC have to make a distinct product and not a copycat product. A distinct product with an identity, like the Apple computers or Nivea bath products or the NFL or Toyota, inspires brand identification and loyalty among consumers.

Being a clone is never the most ambitious business strategy.

WB/DC are not building a new microprocessor or a new rocket ship to go to Mars, they're creating comic film and television adaptations of comic book properties. There are probably multiple distinct ways to do this in a manner that both allows the company to make money and allows the creatives to tell interesting stories. They don't need to be slaves to any strategy already implemented by somebody else.

Aside from that, those who understand how capitalism and marketing works understand that WB/DC have to make a distinct product and not a copycat product. A distinct product with an identity, like the Apple computers or Nivea bath products or the NFL or Toyota, inspires brand identification and loyalty among consumers.

Being a clone is never the most ambitious business strategy.

Exactly!

Hence why I said that silly opinion article is tired and lame....

I guess Marvel is becoming synonymous with action comedy
I wouldnt say that. Capt A: TWS was a pretty serious spy thriller, and one of Marvels better films.

Way better than either Iron Man sequel and Thor 2, which was a miserable mess for me - you guessed it, due to the horrible attempts at humor.

If youre gonna throw humor into stuff, make sure it works...Caps out of time references or even Thors "I need a horse!" which worked because of the character and the situation he was in.

The Thor 2 Darcy stuff was just stupid and painful.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say that. Capt A: TWS was a pretty serious spy thriller, and one of Marvels better films.

Way better than either Iron Man sequel and Thor 2, which was a miserable mess for me - you guessed it, due to the horrible attempts at humor.

If youre gonna throw humor into stuff, make sure it works...Caps out of time references or even Thors "I need a horse!" which worked because of the character and the situation he was in.

The Thor 2 Darcy stuff was just stupid and painful.
-Personally, I thought the Darcy material was fine. It was the random things like Thor taking the train, messing with the tone of the final battle, that irritated me.

We agree.

:woot:

tumblr_mfwo2ynrjw1r7qhgoo2_250.gif

"Epic, dark, and gritty" isn't a one-size fits all tone for any character. That's an idea I've seen here around here for a while and it couldn't be more wrong-headed; it worked for Nolan's batfilms but that's about it. Just because it's appropriate for batman doesn't mean it'll work for any other superhero property. Man of steel suffered from that sort of thinking.

Yes it worked for Batman but doesn't work for Superman and other heroes.

The only Marvel film that was too humorless and serious was Ang Lee's Hulk and that sucked, that was a licensed film. Now The Incredible Hulk by Marvel Studios is where it is at.

There were some complaints that the Batman v. Superman trailer was too dark. Is this a trademark of a DC superhero film in the post-Dark Knight era?

There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. And when you are trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-film-chief-wonder-799408

I thought MoS had a handful of clever visual gags to appease me. I really don't care if there is very little humor in the DCCU. I don't want Brainiac shootin' off one liners like Ultron.

A movie has to have jokes like a movie has to have action or has to have ti'tties.

It is a shallow rule.

It still floors me that people like that interviewer apparently can't fathom why a teaser featuring Batman would be dark.

I guess he should have been standing in the sunshine with a big grin, showing off those pearly whites and cracking jokes.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. People like Alphaomegasin is cool, but unless there's proof, it's basically jumping on the bandwagon.

Anyways, one of my biggest problems with WB and DC is that sometimes, they try to be hip and edgy. Now, it's not like there's anything wrong with this... It's just that some of the stuff they make, like comics, can come off as shoehorning a political point (to be fair, it's not like everyone else who makes comics isn't free of this criticism [will not point out certain issues, because that's an argument for another day]).

I haven't read all the responses to this thread, so I apologize if I'm retreading anything.

I don't think it's true. MOS had jokes. TDK even had jokes. DC has always had jokes and I see no reason why there won't be jokes in their future. It's an odd and implausible notion IMO.

Is DC usually more serious than Marvel? Sure. Are all of DC's jokes amazing? No. But they exist. They're simply going for a different style and as someone who loathed the type of humor in GotG, I am eternally grateful for that. I do hope someone more clever than Goyer can write some good DC jokes though (here's hoping Terrio pans out).

To be honest, I think the "no jokes" thing is a weak rebuttal made by people who get annoyed when others say Marvel has too many jokes or is too "light." I reckon that's where this thing originated from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"