Welcome to Derry - HBO Max Developing IT Prequel Series

I know that people are always down on prequels to established properties and unnecessarily over explaining things, but I think there’s a lot of ripe potential story fodder in regards to the history of Derry and ‘It’ and how everything came to be if handled right, even moreso in a series format.

Now, whoever they get to write/direct/show run/etc. is going to make or break the quality and my interest in this.

Well, Stephen King wrote quite a bit of backstory in the IT novel itself so they have a lot to play on already.

This could be interesting, but only if Bill Skarsgard comes back.

What we need is a prequel to Sony's The Dark Tower. :o

Interesting. Barbara Muschietti’s IG post has Cord Jefferson (The Good Place, Watchmen, Station Eleven) and Brad Caleb Kane (Fringe, Black Sails, Warrior) tagged in alongside Andy and Jason Fuchs, who the article mentions.

Seems to be trucking along…

Day 1 Of Welcome To Derry
Posted: June 15, 2022, 08:41:31
Section: TV » Welcome To Derry
Looks like Welcome to Derry has started production. Jason Fuchs who will produce with Andy and Barbara Muschietti posted this photo with the text ”Day 1” on his Instagram yesterday.

2fc3a448-86d5-498f-a18f-23e055.jpg

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2022]

'It' Prequel Series at HBO Max Finds Its Co-Showrunners (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

Jason Fuchs and Brad Caleb Kane will serve as co-showrunners on the “It” prequel series currently in the works at HBO Max, Variety has learned exclusively.

The show, currently titled “Welcome to Derry,” was first reported as being in development in March. HBO Max has given the show a series production commitment. Exact plot details remain under wraps, aside from the fact that the show will serve as a prequel to the recent films “It: Chapter One” and “It: Chapter Two,” which were released in 2017 and 2019 respectively.

It was previously reported that Fuchs wrote the teleplay for the first episode of the series, based on a story he wrote along with Andy and Barbara Muschietti. Andy directed both of the new films, with Barbara having produced them. Fuchs was a co-producer on “It: Chapter Two.” Fuchs and Kane will executive produce along with the Muschiettis, with Andy being eyed to direct the series premiere. The Muschiettis executive produce under their Double Dream production banner. Warner Bros. Television is the studio, with WB having produced the two films.

Fuchs is primarily known for his work in features, having worked on the screenplays or stories for such big screen fare as “Wonder Woman,” “Pan,” “Ice Age: Continental Drift,” and “I Still See You.” He is repped by WME, Brookside Artists Management, Pangea, and Goodman, Genow, and Shankman.

Kane’s recent writing credits include shows like “Moonhaven” and “Tokyo Vice.” He has also written multiple episodes of shows like “Warrior,” “Black Sails” and “Fringe.” He is repped by WME and Gang Tyre

I'd be happy to watch this. :D

unnamed.jpg

Sometimes I like to dust off five year old memes. :o

With Andy and Barbara involved, specifically Andy directing multiple episodes, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Skarsgard again.

Also sounds like Wallfisch is back…

So is this going to be an anthology series, or will It/Pennywise be connected to everything?

So is this going to be an anthology series, or will It/Pennywise be connected to everything?
No idea but an anthology series would last longer. One bad season won't kill it.

Hopefully anthology. I mean, the book covers a lot of history on Derry and specifically Pennywise’s appearances/affect throughout its history. Lots to be mined from the book.

Very weird thing to keep quiet about though when it's a direct prequel to the other movies which should automatically include his involvement.

Very weird thing to keep quiet about though when it's a direct prequel to the other movies which should automatically include his involvement.
The only thing I can think of if he is in fact in it is that he can't say anything yet because they're still in negotiations over his contract/salary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"