Marvel Films Werewolf by Night

Were you actually looking forward to a colored version?

I will only accept this as a smart move if the color version has a title card that reads "Presented in Technicolor."
If the special is all in retro technicolor, it will be an interesting watch. Otherwise meh but its optional and not replacing the original so no big deal. I assume they're doing this due to lack of content.

Last edited:
I watched this when it originally came out and loved it. I had no plans to watch it when it was rumored that Anthony Ramos was linked to Jack Russell. For me the hook that got me interested in this project was Gael Garcia Bernal. Bernal is very picky when it comes to the roles he chooses so when he chose to be in the MCU in this role, it was a surprise (in a good way) for me. If you look at Bernal's filmography, it's largely been small Indie films, Spanish language films or smaller budget studio films (ie Romantic comedies, ansemble pieces etc). Most likely he's been offered roles in bigger budget projects in the past but turned it down.

Say what you want about the Post End Game phase of the MCU, but for me, this is an excellent casting choice.

Were you actually looking forward to a colored version?

It's the special is all in retro technicolor, it will be an interesting watch. Otherwise meh but its optional and not replacing the original so no big deal. I assume they're doing this due to lack of content.
I am not a fan of watching movies/shows in black & white. So its a nice feature and they obviously have the colored shots in their vault so its nice that they are giving us the option to watch it in color.

Uh huh.

Aka. We need more viewership from those that refuse to watch black and white lol
It's totally because they need more content as well as as the b&w thing. No question about that. But if they're gonna do it, at least they're doing it this way rather than just modern coloring.

I think it's definitely more to do with lack of content than anything else. This is something quick, easy, and cheap.

It's totally because they need more content as well as as the b&w thing. No question about that. But if they're gonna do it, at least they're doing it this way rather than just modern coloring.
Yeah, I’m glad they’re going retro with it. The content drought is real lol (their own fault). That said I’ll take any excuse to rewatch this excellent one shot.

Hopefully we get more of this quality in future one shots. I don’t always have time for a flood of (not always great) content but can always manage a one shot.
I'd definitely be down for more one-shots. Reminds me of how Cartoon Network used to do those What a Cartoon shorts, some of which eventually got their own series. One by Seth McFarlane was clearly his prototype for what became Family Guy.

Like why not for example do a Howard the Duck one shot? Not a movie or a series, but just a one shot with all that goofy Howard, classic Steve Gerber action?

Managed to the colored version of this. While it was interesting to watch, I think Black and White version is still better.

If anything, the colored version will remember people that it exists. I wanna see these characters in more stuff. I wanted a lil "Special presentation" every year, but alas.

English only has terms for short films or feature films, I think. There is no middle term, like for films like this that are in the 50-80 mins range, that I know.
In spanish we have "Mediometrajes".

Lemme try invent one term for them:

"Mediumentary"
"Semi-feature"
"Hourette"
"Tom Cruise Length Film"

I dunno, just spitballing here.

Well supposedly we're getting The Witches Road special for next Halloween that was filmed at the same time as Agatha (similar to how the Guardians special was filmed during Vol. 3). So there's that at least. But yea I feel like one shot specials or short films are the best ave going forward. If they want to test the waters with a unknown character, that's probably the best way to do it. And if it ends up being a hit, that could be incentive to do more things with said characters.

I never finished the black and white version partially because its b&w but I loved the color version. I didn't follow the production but why was this titled Werewolf by Midnight? The main character in my opinion is Elsa and Jack Russell seems like the unlikely ally character. I want more Elsa.

Have people seen the Elsa picture they're using when you click on the programme, at least on mobile? The one of her in the red jacket holding an axe? Anyone able to post that in here? Is there a way to get a larger version?

I had some time to kill yesterday when I was 'supposed' to be working so I did my first annual re-watch of Werewolf by Night (back & white version).

I didn't bother with the colourized version so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but I had almost forgotten how much I loved this special. Everything about it just clicks for me. From the gorgeous crisp cinematography, to the intentionally campy premise, to the production designs, to the superb performances, it all works beautifully. Seriously, both Bernal and Donnelly should have gotten Emmys for this special. Both brought an unexpected, even touching humanity to their roles. Amazing work...

What really sold it for me was how authentic everything looked. The mix of digital and practical effects works wonderfully. Leaving some stuff in the shadows and to the imagination was an inspired choice on Giacchino's part...

And the Easter Eggs! All those famous Marvel Comics monsters that are now confirmed to be part of the MCU! If this is the direction that Marvel's Darkverse is taking, I'm totally onboard.

My only complaint is that it's too short. It felt like it was over before it even started. Now bring on Blade, Ghost Rider, Brother Voodoo, Hellstrom (the real one), Jennifer Kale, Satana, Hannibal King, Morbius (I know I know), Modred, Amphibius, and so on. Can't wait to see this "dark" corner of the MCU explored further :up:

giphy.gif

I didn't bother with the colourized version so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but I had almost forgotten how much I loved this special. Everything about it just clicks for me. From the gorgeous crisp cinematography, to the intentionally campy premise, to the production designs, to the superb performances, it all works beautifully. Seriously, both Bernal and Donnelly should have gotten Emmys for this special. Both brought an unexpected, even touching humanity to their roles. Amazing work...
Honestly the colored version hurts the cinematography imo. The shadows and the lighting work so much better in b&w.

I have always thought that Marvel could use this format of "Special Presentation" to do an in-universe documentary. We know that it would be fictional, but in the world that exists in the MCU, it would be real. If any of you know anything about documentaries, you know that they never use CGI. They instead use video/audio footage, newspapers and sometimes animation depending on the subject and they always interview people. My idea for an in-universe documentary is one about the Howling Commandoes in which they address what happened to the rest of the Howling Commandoes after World War II.

If anything, the colored version will remember people that it exists. I wanna see these characters in more stuff. I wanted a lil "Special presentation" every year, but alas.

English only has terms for short films or feature films, I think. There is no middle term, like for films like this that are in the 50-80 mins range, that I know.

"Mediumentary"
"Semi-feature"
"Hourette"
"Tom Cruise Length Film"

I think this can be counted as a feature film (and Gotg X-Mas) only if Marvel Studios label them like that. A short film (in my understanding) is more or less 30 mins. These "special presentations" aren't. So for now, they are "special presentations" but they are not that different to made for Tv films, or made-for-streaming films.

I also think with whats happening with Disney... I don't think we'd see plenty of these "special presentations" despite how good they are.

"Mediumentary"
"Semi-feature"
"Hourette"
"Tom Cruise Length Film"

We def need to see these characters again asap, hopefully alongside more dark-verse characters. It was an excellent way to kick off.

Haha, love your attempted terms for the medium length features. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"