What’s your favorite Crisis story and why?

Babillygunn

New Age Outlaw
Reaction score
As the title suggest, let’s hear which ones are best and make your case for them

I don’t like any Crisis I’ve read, as they all involve too many characters that I just couldn’t care less about. On a conceptual “this could make for a brilliant movie/show if it were streamlined with fewer characters” level, Final Crisis easily takes the cake for me. I just love the premise and ideas behind that one so much. Execution is where it got messy and totally lost me at times because again, just too many characters to have to know and care about. If I were to want to see any Crisis adapted for the screen, it would be this one, as long as it were streamlined and molded into something more accessible.

On a “well at least this was an enjoyable read” level, I’d go with Infinite Crisis. I am not a Geoff Johns fan, and as with most of Johns’ writing, I found this basic and unremarkable, but enjoyable all the same. This was probably the most simplistic Crisis, and when it comes to Crises, that just makes for a better read for me.

Final Crisis is a 10/10 masterpiece. Insane that there was a moment in time when that was a big event comic. Everything I want in superhero comics, obviously it has minor flaws but those flaws are all by products of what I love about it. Dislike every other Crisis event to varying degrees.

Crisis on Infinite Earths, hands down. I read it when it first came out and it completely blew me away. There'd never been anything like it. The sheer scope, the number of characters, the stakes (unheard of then; these days 'end of the multiverse' stories are ten a penny). Rereading it now, yes the writing style feels dated, but I'll never mark it down for that; it's simply done in the style of the time.

On top of the 12 issue core series are all the tie-ins, now published over three collected volumes. Those I hadn't read before. But I own the deluxe HCs of COIE and those three tie-in companion volumes, and reading the whole saga all the way through now is just staggering. It's not perfect (it certainly suffers from ending-fatigue, although there were editorial reasons for that), but as a work of fantasy fiction it's an incredible achievement. Wolfman and Perez were a dream team.

I want to like Final Crisis, but I’m just not a Morrison fan. I find his writing to be too disjointed and confusing. I also am a little resentful of the changes that he made to the Fourth World, which replaced Kirby’s (in my mind superior) vision in most people’ consciousness.

For my money, I absolutely love Infinite Crisis. I love the characterization of Superboy Prime. He is such a fun character. He is such a dangerous adversary but he’s got the maturity of a petulant teenager. It’s refreshing to have a villain who swoops in and addresses the Justice League by saying “hey there, jerks” or who disrespects Superman of Earth 2 by calling him “grandpa.” Or my all-time favorite, the part where he uses his heat vision to desiccate the tombstone of Bart Allen, changing his epitaph from “Here lies the fastest man alive” to say “here lies the dumbest boy dead”. He’s hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"