• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

What admired vintage comic characters do you want to see get live action film adapted

WaterEagle

Civilian
Reaction score

As The Spirit film that's flopped, has shown that film adaptations of vintage comic characters in a period setting seem to always have an uphill battle finding an audience
(with the rare exception of the Indiana Jones films), what other greatly admired vintage comic character/s (other than Cap America that's being made) would you like seeing a film adaptation made of, that'd instead have a modern day contemporary setting and please say why you'd like seeing it made.

It doesn't matter if anything mentioned actually has been animation and / or live action film adapted, but you found the adaptation to be a big disappointment.

Captain Marvel. People say that Superman and Batman are easy to depict in movies, because of the simplicity of their origins. The same aplies to Marvel, as he meets a wizard who gives him a magic word to say, that transforms him into a superhero. Captain Marvel is the ultimate example of superhero as child power fantasy.

Terry and the Pirates(the concept is interesting and has a massive scale), Prince Valiant(lot of potential for LOTR-type sequences, coupled with some humor), Little Nemo(long time coming), and although it was created in 2004 but is a parody of the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon comics, Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!

what I do like about the Alec Baldwin Shadow film was the theme and the set design. Honestly, I thought that the movie was underrated, for what it was as a movie.

Phillip Marlow's been in comics as well right? If so I want to see him on the big screen.

what I do like about the Alec Baldwin Shadow film was the theme and the set design. Honestly, I thought that the movie was underrated, for what it was as a movie.
I kinda liked it too, I'd just like a better one.

Not sure if these are all comic characters, but they were certainly vintage pulp magazines:

Doc Savage- Eric Dane
The Phantom- Matthew Fox
The Shadow- John Hamm
Zorro- Gael Garcia Bernal
Lone Ranger- Garrett Hedlund
Flash Gordon- Jared Padelecki
Dick Tracy- Bruce Campbell

Hamm would be perfect for The Shadow, it's not exactly original casting but it works for me.

Yeah, I'd like a better Shadow movie too. And John Hamm would be perfect.

Definitely would like a better, more serious Dick Tracy. The film they made was okay, but it could have been less cartoonish. And I hated Beatty in that role. If he was any stiffer, he'd have been a corpse. Tracy should be hard-nosed and by-the-book, but he shouldn't be boring.

Doc Savage and a GOOD Flash Gordon movie would be awesome to see.

/shrug
I still want to see a LOBO film after that it don't matter all my favorite comic characters are already franchises or getting made(green latern,etc). Though I still want a Wonder Women film not sure if its on the back burner or what.

I'm waiting for an Archie film one of these days.

I have to say this:

Just because the adaptations of these cult characters (The Phantom, Shadow, etc) didn't do so well, does not mean that they cannot work as films. They were probably made by the wrong people at the wrong time.

If it's the case that movies like these cannot 'work', then a flick like Raiders of the Lost Ark would not exist back in 1981.

It's just like the rumors of fantasy movie dying out (due to those Warden movies, Golden Compass), I want to protest; it's not that the source material is bad, it's because they were not great adaptations.

So a Doc Savage movie can work, you just need to find the right people and studio confidence.

I definitely want to see the Shadow with the right people behind it. It needs to be a period peice and not modernized.

yeah, I can't see The Shadow in the present day. I think that's the mystique of the charcter, that it took place back in the early 20th Century.

No one likes Kirby!

-The Phantom
-The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
-The Rocketeer
-Green Hornet (Dark, Serious)
-Another Dick Tracy would be nice
-The Shadow
-Doc Savage

BUT MOST OF ALL...WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT.

Not Frank Miller's. I doubt we'll ever get another Spirit film, but I'd love one done in the style of the Dick Tracy film paying close attention to Eisner AND Darwyn Cook's books.

Originally The Spirit was going to be one of Pixar's first films. Oh, what could have been.

^ Really? I'm intrigued now.

Not sure if these are all comic characters, but they were certainly vintage pulp magazines:

Doc Savage- Eric Dane
The Phantom- Matthew Fox
The Shadow- John Hamm
Zorro- Gael Garcia Bernal
Lone Ranger- Garrett Hedlund
Flash Gordon- Jared Padelecki
Dick Tracy- Bruce Campbell

I would like another Zorro movie. The Antonio Banderas ones were pretty good, I didn't care for the last one though.

Lone Ranger was always a favorite of mine as a kid.

I'd also really like to see a good Tarzan movie. The books are great; far-fetched but great. Keeping it serious and not making it campy could be a problem, I think darker toned, more vicious one could work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"