What are the worst comic book movies of all time?

Part of me really, really, really wants to say TASM2.

And I may.

9SCCp6w.jpg

I mean worst comic book movie? For me I always look at the positives. I remember seeing Green Lantern and I liked Oa and MCD as Kilowog and Rush as Tomar and Strong as Sinestro. I think it could have been better but is it the worst? Maybe one of the worst in the 2010s but I don't think of all time it's the worst.

While Batman & Robin is bad, it's at the same time entertaining in a satire way. View it as the Adam West Batman show movie remake and it's entertaining in it's own bad way. Plus without Batman & Robin, we wouldn't have had the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Superman IV is ****ing terrible. No redemption in that film whatsoever.

I like X-Men 3 but that's because Beast is my favorite X-Men and he was perfect in that film.

I like Spidey 3 for the most part. I like Sandman and Venom's birth scenes. That church scene is probably the best scene in any Spider-Man film. The fight scenes were good, motivates of the villains were good. I didn't mind Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer. Usually third movies find a way to tie back to the original. Dark Knight Rises, Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi, Iron Man 3, and others did this.

I find Origins Wolverine ok. I didn't read X-Men comics until 2012. I love the scene where Wolverine gets the adamantium and goes berserk. I also love Liev as Sabbertooth and he brought the same amount of energy as Hugh brought to Wolverine which is something that was missed in the villains in The Wolverine. Biggest problem for me in Origins Wolverine was Deadpool. Everything was fine up until Deadpool.

There are some I don't care for like Elecktra, Ghost Rider 2, Blade Trinity, Catwoman, and others.

With TASM2, I just see disappointment. It's a complete mess IMO and the fact they messed up 3 villains who are played by talented actors (4 if we count Norman) and the actors are wasted plus Sony spending 255 million on the budget with 180-190 million more with marketing, it just feels like a giant disappointment.

For me I would say Superman IV is the absolute worst comic book movie of all time but I do think TASM2 is one of the worst.

I know Superman iV gets a lot of grief, but I think any film production would suffer in the same way if unknown to the SFX team and editor, your SFX budget was cut by two thirds and overall budget halved with post production underway. It's an awful film for sure, but there are reasons behind it being awful, not least the sales of the rights to a company who where on their to ruin as the film was being made.

Like you said Levi, I also try to find the silver linings in whatever CBM may let me down. Amazing Spider-Man 2 has scenes I enjoy.

Elektra put me to sleep, I literally could not stay awake.

Also, I have no idea how I was able to sit through the entire original Captain America movie as a youngster. Waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen, then the film is over.

Anghulk...nothing else comes close for me. Well, TDK makes the most effective run at the title but it's still no contest. They are both the only films where I legitimately wanted my money back and wasn't just saying that as hyperbole.

There aren't many, if any, modern contenders for worst-ever CBMs. Even movies like Batman & Robin, Jonah Hex, and RIPD are far superior to the effects-challenged, shoestring budget films of the past. Even a film like Catwoman, which was monumentally horrid, looks like high art compared to something like 3 Dev Adam.

The worst I've seen since 2000 is Thor 2.

Of the old ones, I could not stand Superman 3, and tbus was never able to watch Superman 4.

Last edited:
Too many to say. Most of Sony and Fox's crap, GL, Cat Woman, Punisher and Swamp Thing.

Superman 3-4
Catwoman
Batman & Robin
Jonah Hex
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
Steel
Punisher Warzone
X-Men origins: Wolverine

I'll add Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li.
Udon Comics released issues under that title, my guess is their comics were used to inspire that movie, that's why I count the movie here.

Superman 3-4
Catwoman
Batman & Robin
Jonah Hex
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
Steel
Punisher Warzone
X-Men origins: Wolverine

Supergirl
Elektra
The Spirit
Howard The Duck