What are you doing for the 9-11 Anniversary?

did what i've done for a few years now - watched '9/11', the doco filmed by Jules and Gedeon Naudet and James Hanlon. very moving.

Putting god on the money was done fairly recently and was unneeded.

^ Good one.

I want Zeus on the money too. Who says it's only that one.

My argument for including "under God" is because God is an authority that supersedes the authority of all humans, and if our inalienable rights come from God that means that they are beyond the authority of human beings to take away. That is the precise reason that God was included in the declaration of independence-- it was not to push a religious agenda, because back then it was taken for granted that everyone was Christian anyway. The idea was to say that there is someone with ore authority than a king who our rights and freedom are given to us by.

The acceptance of at least a secular, deistic concept of God as being the basis of our rights does not have to mean that the individual must endorse Yahweh, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or anything else-- it simply means that you acknowledge that the source of our inalienable rights is an authority that is above humanity. Even if you don't believe that any such being exists, accepting the constitution is to accept that rights are something too big for any human to take away. You don't have to like that our constitution says that our rights are given to us by a deity, but it's necessary to at least accept that that's where our country has decided that our constitution's authority comes from, and not from plain "human decency" (because I think we all can testify from our own viewpoint, it's not hard to find humans who are anything but decent).

BTW, I am a Christian, and even though I believe in the Bible's authority in my own life, I do what I can to make sure not to confuse my religious beliefs with what is actually in our country's laws. I know that there's a lot of stuff in my Bible that people don't want being applied to them through secular law, and there is a lot of stuff that our government does that I do not want representing my religion. Many of our founding fathers were deists, not traditional Christians, and I think it's important for both Christians and non-Christians to acknowledge that deism is what our constitution was framed around. It's not perfect, but the whole point of putting God in the constitution was to admit that no government will ever be perfect.

Co-Signed. :up:

I kinda feel the same way, i remember, i wont forget, but... id rather not depress myself by watching it. Id rather just move on with life, and celebrate my friends bday (whos always going to have to live with it, and she deserves to be cheered up), and to go about my daily routine.

Exactly. I don't need people ranting "Never forget!" every year. I don't need to think about it every waking moment of my life to not forget. Letting a tragedy consume your life isn't the way to live.

Exactly. I don't need people ranting "Never forget!" every year. I don't need to think about it every waking moment of my life to not forget. Letting a tragedy consume your life isn't the way to live.

never forgetting a tragedy is how we got Batman and Spider-man

The argument is that we have God on our money but it's not good enough to have in our pledges and songs.

it should be in neither. But unlike the pledge... you arn't forced to acknowledge it's on the bill.

I am an old dude but when I was a kid we didnt have to say the under God part

where are you from? because... majority of the midwest and south seems to have to as a kid. I sure did in Ohio.

My grandfather in law was at a NASCAR race during 9/11 weekend, andvwhen asked to wave a tiny American flag in remembrance of 9/11, he was quoted as saying:

"I'm a veteran. All I need to do is stand."

Its ironic how we're talking about the pledge and stuff and my nephew, who is in the 5th grade, came home today with a paper that had the pledge on one side and some explanations on the other side such as how "the republic" was referring to the US Government. Something just seemed a little off, especially since my nephew didn't even know what the pledge was.

I am an old dude but when I was a kid we didnt have to say the under God part
We had to say the whole pledge when I was a kid. Then again I was going to elementary during late 80s-early 90s. If you didn't say the whole pledge you were a filthy Godless commie.:cmad:

My grandfather in law was at a NASCAR race during 9/11 weekend, andvwhen asked to wave a tiny American flag in remembrance of 9/11, he was quoted as saying:

I love that line and act. Ask Mr. Obama to try and say that.

Obama doesn't really need to be it. You can fill in the blank with most any politician today who send troops to war and not finish their mission in a timely manner or excessive create militarism so they have to go back into combat. It's just saying most politicians love to kiss the flag, but have little spine to do what's honest for it.

What about 9/12 , that's when most people forget an move on. It's just one day out of the year and I never feel like anything is forced upon me.

What about 9/12 , that's when most people forget an move on. It's just one day out of the year and I never feel like anything is forced upon me.

Maybe nowadays. But between 2001 and through the 2004 election season 9/11 was used by politicians as a political wedge-issue (to paint their opposition as soft on terrorism or as unpatriotic) and exploited by the media as a sensational ratings tool (when will the next attack happen?, was Saddam connected to 9/11?, duct-tape your windows or die, etc). Constantly. Every day.

Last edited:
Haha, Stewart really got into that last night on Daily Show. 9/13, the day everyone immediately forgot.

Maybe nowadays. But between 2001 and through the 2004 election season 9/11 was used by politicians as a political wedge-issue (to paint their opposition as soft on terrorism or as unpatriotic) and exploited by the media as a sensational ratings tool (when will the next attack happen?, was Saddam connected to 9/11?, duct-tape your windows or die, etc). Constantly. Every day.

Well back then it doesn't seem like there was a way around it. I was in the Army at the time and wanted news that focused on the war. The politics were frustrating though.

That is so ****** badass. Tell me he wasn't also sucking a toothpick when he said that. :up:

May be the case for most of the country, but I live in the NY area and hear a reference to 9/11 at least once a week.

May be the case for most of the country, but I live in the NY area and hear a reference to 9/11 at least once a week.

That makes more sense. I don't think it's going to cease either.

never forgetting a tragedy is how we got Batman and Spider-man

A brooding, friendless sociopath who sits in a cave alone at night and a whiny, ultimately irresponsible loser who'll never really grow up? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"