• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What can I do to get rid of my phobia? (serious question)

I am terrified of getting needles for anything (moreso with interveinis stuff). I can't even get blood drawn while sitting (i'll pass out) and have been known to have panic attacks when getting IVs. So you are definitly not alone. I just try not to think about it too much until I actually get there and the procedure is about to be done.

As for the advice of getting tattoos to help with it, I have quite a few tattoos and have no problems getting them at all. In fact, I enjoy watching them tattoo me, when it comes to injections/IVs it's still a major issue.

Get some body-piercings and tattoos. You won't fear the needle anymore after that. Seriously.

jag

:up:

My mom swore I'd never get tattoos or piercings because of how intensely I hated getting shots/blood drawn. :o

Really, the fastest way to get over a true phobia is flooding- that is, doing/being exposed to it and living through it. The fear of something grows with time and obsessive worry about it until it becomes something else entirely in your mind. Once you face the reality of it, the irrational construct is (usually) shattered and you're free of it.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! : Sentinel X took his shots today!

Well yeah. I didn't take the shots on Friday because my mom said she would be busy so I posponned it for today! We'll I go into the office and the doctor says you need to take you meningococcal vaccine and I said "okay"....the he says "oh by the way you also need anothe chicken pox vaccine and tetanus!" and I said "SAY WHAT!?!" :wow: :dry: :csad:

So I got not 1, not 2, BUT THREE SHOTS!!

Now the good news...I don't think I have trypanophobia anymore!!!
The shots were virtually painless and it lasted like 2 seconds. It was good that I talked to myself constantly about it telling myself "Its okay, It okay"...that actually helped a lot. I was surprised how easy it was :up:
However, they said I need to give the clinic some of my blood, although Im not completely freaking out but I do remember (from past experience) that giving blood is a b**** :csad:....but I can't really say Im afraid to take it or that Ill be thinking about it the entire day....Bring it on!!

In conclusion...I'm not really afraid of shots anymore!!! :up:

Thanks for everyone that helped in this thread, I really appreciate it :)

shots suck! I got over them though cause when I was young I got bit by a chipmunk and had to get rabies shots, those things are a b*tch! I hate heights, it's annoying.

Well yeah. I didn't take the shots on Friday because my mom said she would be busy so I posponned it for today! We'll I go into the office and the doctor says you need to take you meningococcal vaccine and I said "okay"....the he says "oh by the way you also need anothe chicken pox vaccine and tetanus!" and I said "SAY WHAT!?!" :wow: :dry:

The shots were virtually painless and it lasted like 2 seconds. It was good that I talked to myself constantly about it telling myself "Its okay, It okay"...that actually helped a lot. I was surprised how easy it was :up:
However, they said I need to give the clinic some of my blood, although Im not completely freaking out but I do remember (from past experience) that giving blood is a b**** :csad:....but I can't really say Im afraid to take it or that Ill be thinking about it the entire day....Bring it on!!

Just don't go "Requiem for a Dream" on us, and you'll be fine.:cwink:

I had a friend who was afraid of shots. During some mandatory immunizations or something, he jerked around so much the nurse stabbed him like seven times.

:up:

My mom swore I'd never get tattoos or piercings because of how intensely I hated getting shots/blood drawn. :o

Really, the fastest way to get over a true phobia is flooding- that is, doing/being exposed to it and living through it. The fear of something grows with time and obsessive worry about it until it becomes something else entirely in your mind. Once you face the reality of it, the irrational construct is (usually) shattered and you're free of it.

The other option he could use for getting over his phobia would be some play piercing but I REALLY don't think he'd go for that. :hehe:

jag

Well yeah. I didn't take the shots on Friday because my mom said she would be busy so I posponned it for today! We'll I go into the office and the doctor says you need to take you meningococcal vaccine and I said "okay"....the he says "oh by the way you also need anothe chicken pox vaccine and tetanus!" and I said "SAY WHAT!?!"

Giving blood's no big deal. Just don't fixate on the little glass tube, watching your blood spurt up into it if you get queasy easy. :)

Just don't go "Requiem for a Dream" on us, and you'll be fine.:cwink:

:funny:

jag

While I don't have a phobia of shots, I don't think anyone's a fan of them.

Just do what I do. Bring a friend/loved one with you. Have them in the room so you can talk to them while looking in the opposite direction from the shot and just don't think about it.

It only lasts about 2 seconds.

CFE

i couldn't agree more with this, do this and you'll be alright :yay:

Get over it by getting poked by the needle and realizing it doesn't hurt at all so there's nothing to be scared of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"