What do people get out of being so cynical?

Sorry, but I don't care about opinions of people who can't even take the polling here seriously, and disrespect other people by voting a 1/10 without even seeing the movie. As far as the people "worshipping Watchmen", well, they got a decent movie out of the adoption, nothing wrong in showing some pride in that.

The thing is , if you're gonna come to a forum where everyone has their own view of the film I don't think you can really complain when different views are harsher or more favorable then your own . I think you can debate the merrits and why you think it's a good or bad film , but you're never going to win an arguement trying to convince people who didn't like it that they are wrong or cynical for not liking or bashing a film. It really is in the eye of the beholder . What I think is genuis , some else may this is crap.

It's like anything else. If WATCHMEN taught us anything, it should be that assessing something is all about perception. It takes all kinds, etc. Fans are tough on what they love, and they're naturally basing their assessment on what they perceive, which is colored, in some cases, by what other people think, etc.

If someone doesn't perceive depth, it must not exist.

If someone doesn't perceive quality filmmaking, it must not exist.

If someone misses a nuance of a performance, it must be a bad one.

And so forth.

A lot of people perceive the book to be a certain thing, and when the movie is/isn't, they're not particularly fair about they assess that in context, either.

There are some fair criticisms, but there is a distinct lack of complete understanding about exactly what the novel was, and what it was trying to say in a lot of posts. There are also some absurd double standards and incongruities going on here in assessing this film. Which is interesting, to say the least.

Bump.

Just reading some reviews get's me frustrated.

Sorry, but I don't care about opinions of people who can't even take the polling here seriously, and disrespect other people by voting a 1/10 without even seeing the movie. As far as the people "worshipping Watchmen", well, they got a decent movie out of the adoption, nothing wrong in showing some pride in that.

Polls shouldn't be indicative of anything... 9/10's and 10/10's are accurate for this film? I see a lot more of those than I see 1/10's.

being one of the MANY people who actually voted a 9/10 and actually seen the film before I voted in a poll (how about that), yeah I think it is indicative. And go figure, I show respect to the site, the posters, and follow forum rules about voting in polls too!

블라스;16560609 said:
This was not a perfect movie (there's no perfect movie, even Casablanca has goofs), but I thought it was a terrific adaptation of the source material.
I'm not saying people should all LOVE the movie, but I am getting tired of people spewing out hateful comments about the squid, the excessive slo-mo (it's not), how this could have been done better, how it was "dumbed-down", how *insert actor* was totally wrong and they would have gotten someone else, blah blah blah.

Jesus Christ, people....what does it take to make you happy?

If you get a 100% adaptation, you whine about "meh, they just filmed the comic, there's no creativity".
If you get changes, you whine about "meh, they totally change the story".

You get an instrumental musical score, you whine about it not being good enough.
You get a new song, you whine about it "dating the movie" or "selling out".
You get an older song representing something in the movie (the theme, the era, etc), you whine about the movie being pretentious and trying to be deep.

I think Snyder ought to get a goddamned medal for taking on this huge project and making sense out of it without having to do a 12 hour mini-series.

There's criticism to be done, of course, I mean, I ask again, what movie is perfect?
But it pisses me off the way some people voice their complaints, as if they were some kind of know-it-all connoisseur, in a very annoying and snobby way, like they could have done better (like I said in a different thread, grab a damn camera and do something about it then).
This is not limited to just here, of course, and I'm not saying people shouldn't complain...it's just that I believe some people focus exclusively on the negative things, as if not being satisfied with the movie and acting so cynical about it somehow makes them unique or cool (it doesn't).

I'm gonna get blasted for this thread, I'm sure, and I don't care.
I guess some people will understand what I'm trying to say, though.

Me? I am 100% grateful for the great movie that I got, and 100% grateful to Snyder who had the balls to make the best movie he could, for not backing down to a PG-13 rating, for getting "actors" instead of "stars" or "flavors of the month", and for many other things.

A rant about rants..................brilliant.

all i say is wait for the directors cut before saying all the horrible stuff about the movie

The thing is , if you're gonna come to a forum where everyone has their own view of the film I don't think you can really complain when different views are harsher or more favorable then your own . I think you can debate the merrits and why you think it's a good or bad film , but you're never going to win an arguement trying to convince people who didn't like it that they are wrong or cynical for not liking or bashing a film. It really is in the eye of the beholder . What I think is genuis , some else may this is crap.

Exactly. Sometimes it seems like we're debating sports teams instead of movies, but I guess that comes with the level of respect (or lack thereof) we have for our favorite stories from childhood and beyond. I think we need to remember though that the whole point of a messageboard is to discuss & debate. Opinions aren't fact, and as long as that's true, everything is open to individual interpretation (no matter how ignorant you think it is)

Of course this doesn't count where trolling's involved, but when it's a well-thought argument it's nothing but intriguing, I mean, it's why we're all here. I just hate it when people let critics give them preconceived notions before they ever see for themselves, so that whatever rhetoric they absorb becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. I believe Malin Ackerman is a perfect example of this, just as Maggie Gyllenhaal before her, for completely opposite reasons. IMO, that is :cwink:

I just hate it when people let critics give them preconceived notions before they ever see for themselves, so that whatever rhetoric they absorb becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. I believe Malin Ackerman is a perfect example of this, just as Maggie Gyllenhaal before her, for completely opposite reasons. IMO, that is :cwink:

That is a great example of some of the xeroxed criticisms I have heard.

Ok, so it's not ok to make a thread about why the movie didn't work. But it is ok to make a thread about why people who think the movie didn't work shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions.

If someone didn't like the movie, that doesn't mean they're cynical. Why hurl abuse at people who didn't like the movie?

This is is all ********.

Ok, so it's not ok to make a thread about why the movie didn't work. But it is ok to make a thread about why people who think the movie didn't work shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions.

If someone didn't like the movie, that doesn't mean they're cynical. Why hurl abuse at people who didn't like the movie?

This is is all ********.
I saw your thread yesterday (even posted in it) and can tell you that your view of the situation is very skewed. The reason why your thread was deleted is because we have not one, but TWO topics where you could have posted the exact same thing instead of making your own topic to try to draw attention to yourself. There is a "disappointments" thread and a "fan review" thread where people can post their criticisms. And they have been doing so.

And you seem to have a reading comprehension problem, because the topic creator is not trying to silence anyone. He's just venting at the snobby elitists who nitpick the film to death as if it's the worst comic book movie since Batman and Robin. And I can definitely see where he's coming from, since I enjoyed the film and get a bit irked by that kind of thing myself. People did the same thing to TDK, which is also a film I enjoyed. Seems like any popular film is destined to be attacked by people attacking it just for the sake of doing so. Don't get me wrong, there are people who have done very well in voicing their reasons for not liking the film. But there are others who just seem to be following a herd mentality and proclaiming it to be one of the worst films ever made simply because their buddies are doing the same.

Who gives a flying **** what others think. If you liked it fine!!!!

That is all that matters

No. Unfortunately we don't make movies. Suits do. Watchmen the movie? Unthinkable without corporate sponsorship. The point is that we would never have the possibility of seeing a sequel to the Dark Knight if it didn't make so much money. Watchmen is a far denser comic series and thus requires far more risks to make into a film.

If this tanks, then it will be years before we see anything on this scope or at least intention and vision.

I'm not saying that we all need to buy another ticket out of some forced choice, but that it's totally legitimate to mourn it's reception because of the aforementioned reasons.

This is is all ********.

Tough. You don't like how things are managed, bring it up to the Mod's. Don't get all huffy puffy because your thread got deleted, it happens to everyone here at one point, not just you. Wrap your head around the concept that this is a forum with thousands of individual opinions, positive, negative, and neutral. Not just yours. :cmad:

I actually think the movie has many of the intellectual curiosities of the novel (though obviously not all) and fully develops its characters and tells its story in a compelling (if convoluted) way in 2:45. It is not the best movie ever. I wouldn't put it in my top 3 superhero movies. But it is good.

FaT_tONIe you admitted that you never thought the movie was going to be good and guess what...you didn't like it. :rolleyes:

It is a good movie and an adaptation. Probably too close (albeit it is not panel-for-panel as some critics have said), but judged as a film it does have emotional resonance and poises many philosophical and a few political questions. Those who like it and have not read the book have gone back for a second time and said as much, for example read Roger Ebert's blog as he was blown away by it and had never read the book.

It cannot and never was going to have the same impact on you as the book, as you have probably read the book many times over years and that first experience is gone and no film can capture a long book into 3 hours. Hence adaptation. Snyder made a movie that should appeal to the lovers and devotees of the book as it is ridiculously close.

Honestly if they still don't like it, it usually is more often than not because they already made up their minds to hate it. In which case, I just shrug.

Ignorance is bliss.
To answer the thread's award winning question, because it is decent question albeit a youthful one, it's not a beautiful world out there. But many choose to see good things and others realize the long list of bad things and can't stomach the blissful denial.
And then there are others who are capable of seeing the world in shades of gray instead of just black or white.
To be specific, there is never a perfect movie. Mainly cause everything created has it's downside. You personally can find Watchmen the movie, perfect enough to watch everyday. It seems most have, marking it 9/10 all over this place.

But I don't. I didn't find The Dark Knight perfect, not even my favorite movies are perfect 10/10. But this has to be judged on transferring the story from page to screen, and I will give credit for matching visuals and a massive scale attempt, it fails to capture the particular mood and the study of the characters.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the 10 on everyone's scale is perfection, and that everyone giving it high scores simply has little or no standards. I guarantee you that a good number of those people giving it a 9 or a 10 did so based on how much they enjoyed the film. I gave it a 9 for that reason, not because I consider it to be a masterpiece comparable to the Godfather or something like that.

I guarantee you that a good number of those people giving it a 9 or a 10 did so based on how much they enjoyed the film. I gave it a 9 for that reason, not because I consider it to be a masterpiece comparable to the Godfather or something like that.

Exactly, you get it. I gave it a 9/10 as a Watchmen movie. That is why all these post comparing it to TDK seem silly to me.

People who know me know me as one cynical MF on these boards... the bottom line for me is... I just think you need a draw that line somewhere... what are you looking for in these films? What are your expectations? To me, a Watchmen film was never going to work. Or it would never live up to what it should have been. That's why I came down hard on this film. It ultimately failed to reach my expectations from the fans, critics, and people perceiving the film. It just comes down to what you are looking for.

If you guys just want to be entertainined for a few hours then many of these films work for you. But for me, if you do not give me a film that goes above and beyond, a film that pushes the boundaries, elevates the material or the genre... a film like TDK... only then will it be worthwhile. Otherwise don't even bother. I am not going to be Hollywood's dog on a leash where I am being dragged back to these adaptations, action franchise tentpoles, comicbook films, superhero films at every opportunity. Fox has pulled this stunt too many times... Sony pulled it with SM3... and in my gut, I feel WB jumped for a quick paycheck when they went with the guy who was certain to bring them money after 300. You have to draw the line somewhere.

but you havent even seen the movie!!!

that makes your opinion on the matter moot, irrelevant, and ignorant.

but you havent even seen the movie!!!

that makes your opinion on the matter moot, irrelevant, and ignorant.

Don't forget voting 1/10 as a self described "Joke".

"It's all one... big... Joke..." :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"