What do you love most about the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

TeeKay

Avenger
Reaction score
Saw this thread on IMDB and figured I should make one here. This response was perfect and I deffinately agree with it:

1) The continuity

2) Their hability to juggle different subgenres, different tones with different directors with relative consistent success whilst paying respect to the source material.

3) Their hability to chose the perfect casting, actors that are charismatic.

4) Their ability to translate the real sense of companionship and real friendship between actors when it's about TA or even GOTG. It seems to me than that element is one of the main reason of TA success. You could feel that they had a blast and are really close buddies. You feel like you wanna be part of the group because they really get on well together.

Even though haven been perfect (I disliked IM2 very much and the first half of AoS was meh), they have managed to make consistenly good and entertaining films. They have yet to make a truly 'bad' film imo. They're aren't afraid to take risks and moving out of their comfort zones, and always give the fans what they want. It's really amazing what they've managed to do in 6 years. I'm excited for AOU and Ant-Man.

What are your thoughts?:woot: My ranking for the MCU films:

1. Captain America : The Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man 3
3. The Avengers
4. Guardians Of The Galaxy
5. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Captain america: The First Avenger
8. Thor
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2

lRlTqgt.gif

The optimistic tone. Not only do the heroes save the world, but it is a world worth saving.

I love that they tried and it worked. I mean, the only reason we are 10 movies in with 5 more in production and 10 more on the horizon is because they are successful.

I love that people like them. It seems like I can have conversations with everyday girls and even my parents about Thor and Captain America and Rocket Raccoon and the MCU is a big reason for that.

I love that Marvel proved good movies can be made based off comics and not looked at as cheesy and for kids.

Marvel stayed as close as possible to the source material and made changes that was needed for a smother adaption to film despite being based more off the Ultimate universe with some elements of 616. They did a very good job.

How Marvel tied all the films together to show they are in a shared universe.

I love pretty much everything, the fact they had the guts to pull off a shared cinematic universe, and it works soooo well, the fact they haven't made a bad movie yet, granted all their movies are not brilliant, but none are terrible, the casting choices, Robert Downey JR as IronMan has become what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine, you just can't imagine anyone else doing it because they nail the role.

The MCU has turned me into a little bit of a hater for what other studios are doing with Marvel properties, Sony is the worst, TASM2 was appalling, who knows what Fox is gonna bring us with the new FF reboot, and I lost a lot of love for the X-Men movies a while ago, although DOFP was alright, it still didn't bring me back to the fold, and it's all because Marvel Studios keep making good movies and I just don't understand why other studios can't do the same, people want Marvel Studios to have the rights back to these characters mostly because they want to see them on screen with the current MCU lineup, for me, I want them back because I just want to see these characters in a decent movie for a change.

Currently Marvel Studios reigns supreme not only in the comic book movie sense, but also the box office in general, and it's showing no signs of slowing down, if anything, it's speeding up, and I can't wait for all of it.

Personally, I appreciate Fox at least a little bit, just for them having the X-Men rights. As long as the X-Men are licensed elsewhere, Marvel won't be tempted to incorporate them into the MCU. And as long as the X-Men aren't incorporated into the MCU, there's not the temptation to slather on "hated and feared by a world they are sworn to protect" cliches onto the MCU.

1. What I love most about it is the shared continuity. The fact that Tony Stark, Odin, and Howard the Duck all exist in this same cinematic universe still blows my mind.

2. The casting has been damn near perfect. So many of these actors embody the characters so perfectly that you can't imagine anyone else in the role, like RDJ. Even some of the less well-received performances like Mickey Rourke in IM2 weren't that bad. I've yet to see a Marvel Studios movie where I went "Man, he/she was terrible in that."

3. The amount of respect given to the source material. Gone are the days where superheroes in films had to be given black leather outfits because they "looked cooler" than their comic book costumes (SHIELD outfits notwithstanding) or a cloud Galactus that would be "more believable" than a giant celestial being. Now we have a Thor, Loki, Thanos , etc. who all look like they walked out of the comic pages.

That there are so many different, both short-term and long-term storylines and payoffs, as well as many different types of characters - we have gotten to see stuff from ranging from World War II, to a high tech suit of armor acting as a nuclear deterrent, to the epic Dark Elf invasion of Asgard, to a talking tree and raccoon that have deep, layered portrayals. And one of the best parts about it, is that almost all (nothing is perfect) of this stuff fits pretty naturally within the universe that Marvel has established.

Last edited:
Quality of product. The " worst" MCU movie is still very good.

#itsallconnected

I love that we got Guardians. Fell in love with Guardians back in 2008. Love that we got a WWII movie for Cap unlike the first one. Love the casting, for the most part it's all been very good. Love Thor as a character, Hemsworth does a great job. Love that they aren't the only option for Marvel movies

Most of all I love Groot. Such a lovable killing machine :funny:

The MCU has turned me into a little bit of a hater for what other studios are doing with Marvel properties.

I feel the opposite.

I enjoy a good few of the movies of the MCU itself but I don't like the disrespect some hardcore fans show to the franchises that kick started the Marvel genre (don't mean you Sexy Magician) and paved the road on which the Marvel drives.

Before the shared universe schtick people just wanted good quality marvel movies and were happy when they came. Now there's an elitist group who dislike and wish to end non-MCU Marvel franchises just because they aren't Marvel Studios and as a fan of most Marvel franchises across all the various studios I don't like that.
Fair enough it's cool to not like a franchise but no X-Men or Spider-Man movie fans ever call for the other Marvel franchises to end and and be given away. The reverse should be the same

Gone are the days where superheroes in films had to be given black leather outfits because they "looked cooler" than their comic book costumed.

I don't believe that was the reason. The last superhero movie was Batman & Robin which was a costuming disaster, Bat-Nipples are still lampooned today. Audiences viewed comic book costumes as corny at that point and weren't read for them then. If X-Men had accurate costumes it probably would've flopped and we wouldn't have any Marvel movies today. Even today some comic costumes won't be adapted faithfully (Hawkeye for example) as they are too difficult for the screen.

Last edited:
Shared universe, over-all quality control, deserved popularity, comic book accuracy, various genres explored, action set pieces, etc.

There's alot to love.

It's all been said above, but yeah, what I love most about the MCU is the way that it destroyed the myths about the way CBM movies were "supposed" to work --- i.e., standalone, dark 'n' gritty, nerfing the powersets, downplaying colorful costumes and over-the-top aspects of the comics, focusing on the villain instead of the hero, etc.

The MCU took the opposite approach to the superhero movie than the methods Singer and Nolan used, and proved that a comic-book movie *can* look and feel and act like an honest-to-god comic book, and still be wildly successful. To this end, I commend Sam Raimi, Zack Snyder, and Kevin Feige/Marvel Studios for being the most faithful and loyal to the overall atmosphere of the comic-book superhero universe. Those three guys, in particular, are geeks who make comic-book movies for geeks, and I thank god for them every day.

I love that they can actually deliver honest-to-goodness great popcorn movies that have humor and wit that work, unlike what the other studios interpret as a "fun" comic book movie, which are basically borderline parodies overflowing with camp and cheese.

I love the extreme size of the universe but also the community that gives me something to talk about with fellow geeks

Their films are seriously great fun, and are well written - they're devoting effort into building and expanding this universes with nicely done features. The several tones assigned to every single film - it adds a uniqueness and distinguishes every single film from another.

The main characters are all so likeable and well written. They're super charismatic and work so well together. That's why it works so well that they're in a shared universe. The actors are perfect for their roles!

The heart put into these films. There is so much fun and love but also intensity. The tone is simply perfect. You can feel the love from everyone involved with most of these films.

Much thanks to what's mentioned above, the MCU is loved by all people, not just comic book fans. That's just incredible given how unknown these were Before to the general audience. That's one thing I love, how everyone's on the train for these!

There's some criticism towards the way Marvel Studios handle villains. That's because MS focuses so much on their main stars, and I think that's also why these films are so successful.

Can't really put it better than what some of you have already stated so... Ditto.

Quality control.
The characters are visually amazing just like the comics.
The sense of fun and wonder mixed with tension and sad moments.
Fantastic casting.
It's all connected: movies,one-shots,TV series...
Every movie has its own tone and genre,there is something for everyone!
The spirit of the comics is respected and some elements are even better.

That's what comes to my mind,but the sure is that I love it as a whole.

Simply put, they realise why we love these characters so much and remain loyal to that.

Personally, I appreciate Fox at least a little bit, just for them having the X-Men rights. As long as the X-Men are licensed elsewhere, Marvel won't be tempted to incorporate them into the MCU. And as long as the X-Men aren't incorporated into the MCU, there's not the temptation to slather on "hated and feared by a world they are sworn to protect" cliches onto the MCU.

Then you miss the whole point of the mutant struggle. It's the bain of what they are and the whole point of the team. It's tied in to their history. Fox don't get that and the Xfilms would be much better and closer in tone and feel to the comic.

It always seemed stupid that people should hate someone born with powers yet be fine with someone that got them accidentally.

I love the fact that MCU takes unknown characters, or "B-listers" and turns them into "A listers." Just look at Iron Man, and now Guardians. It's something fresh.

Plus, I am a believer that it saved the comic book movie industry.

I love the fact that MCU takes unknown characters, or "B-listers" and turns them into "A listers." Just look at Iron Man, and now Guardians. It's something fresh.

Plus, I am a believer that it saved the comic book movie industry.

Agreed. I love this. It proves that a character doesn't have to be a big name to draw people as long as the movies are good. Which as you say is vital for the success of the CBM industry because there aren't that many big names.

I love that Guardians of the Galaxy is doing better than TASM2. We want studios getting the idea that great movies are more important than big stars and licenses.

I feel the opposite.

I enjoy a good few of the movies of the MCU itself but I don't like the disrespect some hardcore fans show to the franchises that kick started the Marvel genre (don't mean you Sexy Magician) and paved the road on which the Marvel drives.

Before the shared universe schtick people just wanted good quality marvel movies and were happy when they came. Now there's an elitist group who dislike and wish to end non-MCU Marvel franchises just because they aren't Marvel Studios and as a fan of most Marvel franchises across all the various studios I don't like that.
Fair enough it's cool to not like a franchise but no X-Men or Spider-Man movie fans ever call for the other Marvel franchises to end and and be given away. The reverse should be the same

I can't argue with you, people say it was Blade, but for me the first X-Men movie shown the world comic book movies can work without being campy and childlike, and there is no doubt in my mind if it wasn't for that we may not have what we have today with the MCU. It's just for me, when these moves came out we didn't really have any other modern superhero movies to compare them to, so when you get major deviations from the source material, like in X-Men for example with the uniforms and the way they ruin potential for great characters by using them as cheap cameos, at the time this was ok and it felt necessary, then came along the MCU, which is pretty faithful to the comics, appearance and character wise and it still works brilliantly, GOTG just proves they are not one bit scared of going to the ridiculous side of Marvel, and they still pull it off whilst I feel other studios are still stuck on trying to bring to much realism and grittiness to these characters and it just falls flat.

I use to feel that any Marvel movie, regardless of studio was a good thing, but after Sonys TASM2 and what looks to be a majorly 'loose' adaptation of the FF over at Fox, it's hard to keep the faith, there is no denying that Marvel Studios just seem to able to add that little bit of extra spice to their movies that make them a cut above the rest, right now I would take a Marvel Studios Spider-Man that doesn't even need to be connected to the rest of the MCU, just so I can finally see a good Spider-Man movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"