Arrow What If? Birds of Prey.

Seb

We are all Bat-People
Reaction score
Following the Calm, my dreams of a Birds of Prey spin off have been somewhat dashed. So my question is: would anyone else have liked to see a Birds of Prey spin off, and how would it look to you?

For me, the original hope was for Felicity/Oracle, Sara/Canary (both with name changes so as not to conflate with Barbara Gordon's Oracle and Dinah/Laurel's Canary) and Helena/Huntress.

Now, the pipe dream is for Nyssa to resurrect Sara, but for her spine to be permanently damaged by the arrows/fall and have Sara/Oracle (she's multi talented, and having Felicity guest star as a mentor would be a cool form of role reversal) and Helena/Huntress with Nyssa as a love interest/ally/enemy (the kinda like the Talia/Bruce relationship in the comics).

The arcs I'd want in the revamped dream show is Sara dealing with the effects of the Lazarus pit and coming to terms with her disability, Helena and Sara trading off roles as to who is the crazy one and who is trying to stay on the straight and narrow, and a redemption arc for Nyssa.

I'm all for a BOP series with a Lazarus revived Sara,but I always hated the paralyzed angle.I didn't like it with Batgirl,and I'd certainly hate it for Sara.

I never really cared either way, but it was a bit of diversity that didn't need to be there but didn't impede the plot either. It's so rare for any sort of disabled character to make it in any form of media that it's nice when it's done well. It affects Babs but it doesn't define her, in the same way colour or sexuality should be a facet of a character rather than their defining characteristic. (it was one of the reasons that I really liked the way the show just sort of said, 'oh, Sara's bi, whatevs', and moved on like it was no big deal.)

In truth, Sara being paralysed is not necessary for the show to work, but without Felicity as Oracle (which is doubtful) it would be weird. I think, to have a BoP show you need an Oracle that can't do things herself. (the whole reason Babs recruited Dinah - and later, Helena - in the comics was because she had so much information that she couldn't act on, so she found someone that could.)

Birds of Prey would be a great storyline for Laurel in say, season 4. She's been Black Canary for a bit, she gets contacted by this mysterious 'Oracle' who gives her missions/instructions/whatever. They develop a friendship as Laurel tries to figure out who her mysterious benefactor is, who she discovers is also running Huntress the same way. They all team up to take on the subplot of the season, all while kicking butt and crossing paths with Ollie and his gang. It comes to a head and we find out that this Universe's Barbara Gordon has led a completely different life than the one we were expecting. (If Bat-embargo means they can't use Babs, then make it a wheelchair-bound Wendy Cutter and use the Calculator as the big bad/part of the bad guys).

Actually, I think a BOP movie makes even more sense now.

Huntress can continue to train Laurel's Canary on how to fight. They can pick up a teenage hacker named Barbara Gordon and go to Bludhaven. Huntress can continue to work through her issues with Laurel as her new BFF.

plus Laurel can get her Canary Cry from the energy released by the particle accelerator in Flash.

Let Felicity get with Ollie in this version.

Sara's dead, and she's not being revived. GET. OVER. IT.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, on to the topic at hand.

I'd love to see a Birds of Prey spinoff of Arrow, but, unless there's some major retconning of her character, Helena Bertinelli's Huntress really wouldn't fit; given who she is, I doubt a stint in jail is going to change her as dramatically as she would need to be in order to be seen as a heroine, as she doesn't have - and never had - Oliver's 'moral compass'.

That's why my ideal BoP lineup would be Laurel (as Black Canary), Thea Queen-Merlyn (as Speedy), Sin, and a version of the Batman Beyond character Max Gibson (who serves, more or less, as the Oracle of that universe and could very easily be adapted to serve the same purpose here, with or without a physical limitation).

You've got the redemptive angle with Thea, Laurel and Sin carrying on Sara's "legacy", and Max as the 'technical support', and you could even add in some other characters as well.

Sara's dead, and she's not being revived. GET. OVER. IT.
zFpC59m.gif

Hopefully Huntress returns this season (prison break?). I'd really love to see what they'll do with her now that her "daddy issues" arc is done. As for Syn, is the actress confirmed to be back this season?

Sara was probably just as bad as Huntress since she worked for the LoA so I see no reason fans should be okay with Sara but not Helena, especially since Helena is actually paying for some of her crimes in prison. Or is murder okay when its off screen? I'm sure if Helena returns or escapes from prison for whatever reason she will be a different person to some degree.
Felicity is probably the best choice for Oracle so she should become the Oracle of the Arrowverse. Oracle should be the best at what she does so either someone would come in as Felicity's better or Felicity is Oracle. Laurel as Black Canary, of course. Thea should stay since the show can't lose its entire female roster. Or Thea leaves and Laurel stays and promises to join at a later date. I could hardly care less about the version of Sin we got.

Last edited:
Sara, like Oliver, had a 'moral compass' that underpinned her actions, even the more heinous ones. Helena, on the other hand, never had a 'moral compass'; it's the entire reason she and Oliver went from allies to adversaries so quickly. A stint in prison alone isn't going to be enough to change that, which is why the character wouldn't work as part of a BoP series.

It wasn't that she lacked a moral compass she just hated her father and it blinded her. She went further and further over the edge to the point where she was a criminal herself. She originally just wanted to get married and live a normal life. She cleared some of it away in her last appearance but even in the comics Huntress is angry and violent. She has had to have other characters stop her from killing on multiple occasions, even while working with the BoP so I don't see the problem.

That. I don't think the character is so far gone. Like you said, she's been known to be a little overly violent and angry. All the more reason to have a team around her to keep her focused and grounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"