What is going on with DC/WB?

Spider-Bat

BATMAN
Reaction score
Marvel churns out movies for different characters every year, yet DC/WB had to put The man of steel on hold to make JLA, WTF is that?!

Why not make both! I'm sure JLA will be better and cooler and more faithful than Singer's bastardized Superman, all he does is ruin comic films.

But come on, WB needs to get these movies made...The Green Lantern and The Flash need to get made, mainly GL.

Hopefully JLA and GL will be made and done faithfully and full of awe and wonder and imagination unlike Nolan's dull Batman and Singer's ignorance of Superman.

When you have different studios and funding streams, its easier to get more movies out into the market faster, for better (Spider-Man), or worse (Ghost Rider, Elektra).

I doubt WB would ever put out more than one or two DC related properties per year.

The problem is DC/WB is one studio, it's costy to get multiple projects going at the same time. That's why Marvel used to chunk out movies every year since they had the luxury of different studios, meaning more money from different sources instead of funding everything by themselves.

The problem is DC/WB is one studio, it's costy to get multiple projects going at the same time. That's why Marvel used to chunk out movies every year since they had the luxury of different studios, meaning more money from different sources instead of funding everything by themselves.

And they were taking little risk, since they were only licensing their characters to the studios who would come up with the financing for any production. DC on the other hand retained the rights to the character, but co-financed their projects with other studios while retaining the distribution rights. This really doesn't answer the question, though. DC was slow coming out the gate and producing their films. The also want to be careful, since they only boast some 50 some-odd characters (vs. Marvel's 5000 or so) and they don't want to mess up or disgrace any of their prized franchises. Seeing how profitable this genre is and how sticking to the source material and save some development time, I think that DC is now trying to become more competetive in this genre. It is sometime better to wait an see how the competition fairs in the marketplace and them try and put out a product that improves on what worked out there, and that is what I see them trying to do with TDK, "Watchmen", and JLA.

Prized franchise my ass its money that matters thats the be all and end all and WB doesnt think the characters have the influence to make back enough money on a 100+ million invesment especially in the current climate they should have made a few movies in the late 90s early 2000 when those movies where more populer. Another setback against one company making the movies is if one flops badly the likelehood they would risk another 100+ mill on another character is even more remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"