Frustration with WB.

I don't think DC needs their own studio considering WB owns them. what they need to do is be more is be more involved with the Film writing process. in an inrerview with Dan Didio I saw someone asked him something about the movies and he stated we(DC) do the comics and WB is in charge of entertainment and they keep it seperate. I can see why WB would let them be involved with animation, but for Films they're probably thinking We're not gonna let some comic writer blow our 60-100 million dollar movie. which sucks.

You think they'd have comic writers be more involved by now considering how similar a storyboard and a comic is, but what do I know.

DC doesn't have the option of starting their own studio. Time Warner owns DC, period.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning you. I was referring to the earlier poster who said DC should start their own film division. I should have quoted to make that clearer.

I don't think DC needs their own studio considering WB owns them. what they need to do is be more is be more involved with the Film writing process. in an inrerview with Dan Didio I saw someone asked him something about the movies and he stated we(DC) do the comics and WB is in charge of entertainment and they keep it seperate. I can see why WB would let them be involved with animation, but for Films they're probably thinking We're not gonna let some comic writer blow our 60-100 million dollar movie. which sucks.

You think they'd have comic writers be more involved by now considering how similar a storyboard and a comic is, but what do I know.

I think we should picket Warner Brothers while wearing our favorite DC comic characters costume.

I think WB has improved its live-action film relationship with DC over the past year, or at least they want to. Watchmen comes out Friday, its most likely gonna be really good. I don't know very much about Jonah Hex, but they'll have it out next August. Than Christmas 2010, if all holds up, we'll get GL, which should be the driving force behind getting more of the iconic DC characters in their own films. TDK was very successful, but it wasn't that force.

Last edited:
TDK was very successful, but it wasn't that force.

Agreed. TDK didn't sell DC characters it sold Batman.

with all the DC movies coming out its gonna be just like when marvel movies started coming out they're all in their own universe. X-men, FF, DD, Elektra each individual movie were run by the same studio FOX. All of them took place in NY except Elektra and each film was a stand alone in its own world. In Spider-man they acknowledged Dr. Strange. It was just one line but at least it's something. Marvel is trying to do it now with new movies and I think it is going to flop with the general public as a whole but make fans happy. I say this now in hopes that Iron Man isn't a train wreck, but at least they're trying.

But with the one of the big parts of the plot in TDK being about taking in batman with all that went on about it would it have been too much to throw in a line like "there are people running around in costumes saving people in other cities."? This version of Batman will never live in the same universe as Supeman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman. and if they ever do a Flash movie they need to let Geoff Johns write it.

If Warner Bros. wants Nolan's Batman to be in the same universe, then Nolan's Batman will be. They own the character, not Christopher Nolan. And Christian Bale isn't opposed to the idea of Batman being with other comic book characters to the extent that Nolan is.

If the next Superman film turns out to be a sequel to Superman Returns in some shape or form, then Green Lantern and Superman will be in universes that are extremely compatible to the point where it is safe to say that they are (Green Lantern has Clark Kent in the script and both have Gotham City in their universes).

Also it would make no sense at all for the Dark Knight to have "there are people running around in costumes saving people in other cities." on account that it would have been completely out of place for no reason and there's been only three movies that would form a possible DC Movie Universe that don't star Batman and they all star Superman.

Marvel just started producing its own films (except for the ones at Fox and Sony), that's how they can do all the crossovers now. DC is owned entirely by WB; the opportunity for them to mesh all the characters into the same universe has always been there. If the Clark Kent cameo stays in the GL film, that's the first step.

with all the DC movies coming out its gonna be just like when marvel movies started coming out they're all in their own universe. X-men, FF, DD, Elektra each individual movie were run by the same studio FOX. All of them took place in NY except Elektra and each film was a stand alone in its own world. In Spider-man they acknowledged Dr. Strange. It was just one line but at least it's something. Marvel is trying to do it now with new movies and I think it is going to flop with the general public as a whole but make fans happy. I say this now in hopes that Iron Man isn't a train wreck, but at least they're trying.
How do you think it's gonna flop? Marvel's movie universe is basically original Avengers members, so it makes sense. I think it'll go out well, anyone who likes Iron Man & Cap will probably go see Avengers.

But with the one of the big parts of the plot in TDK being about taking in batman with all that went on about it would it have been too much to throw in a line like "there are people running around in costumes saving people in other cities."? This version of Batman will never live in the same universe as Supeman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman. and if they ever do a Flash movie they need to let Geoff Johns write it.

What if all of these other heroes started popping up after Wayne became Batman? Some of them inspired by Batman. It makes sense IMO.

Marvel just started producing its own films (except for the ones at Fox and Sony), that's how they can do all the crossovers now. DC is owned entirely by WB; the opportunity for them to mesh all the characters into the same universe has always been there. If the Clark Kent cameo stays in the GL film, that's the first step.

I know I was saying that X-men, FF, and DD all came from FOX and took place in NY yet all clearly aren't in the same universe.

If Warner Bros. wants Nolan's Batman to be in the same universe, then Nolan's Batman will be. They own the character, not Christopher Nolan. And Christian Bale isn't opposed to the idea of Batman being with other comic book characters to the extent that Nolan is.

I didn't mean that Batman isn't from the DC Universe I mean that the way they are doing the movie it seems like this Batman as a character couldn't possibly exist in the same world as Flash, Superman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman. also we've all seen many interviews where Bale has said he probably won't do any batman movies without Nolan.

Also it would make no sense at all for the Dark Knight to have "there are people running around in costumes saving people in other cities." on account that it would have been completely out of place for no reason and there's been only three movies that would form a possible DC Movie Universe that don't star Batman and they all star Superman.

You all missed the point of what I was saying and yet a small like like that could be in place especially when in the story part of the plot is bringing the Batman to justice. I didn't say I thought it was something that should be mandatory I just meant it could have been worked in. One little line acknowledging other super heroes exist in a movie about a super hero isn't that far fetched.

How do you think it's gonna flop? Marvel's movie universe is basically original Avengers members, so it makes sense. I think it'll go out well, anyone who likes Iron Man & Cap will probably go see Avengers.

and I didn't say the Avengers movie is going to be bad and we can't decide that yet cause we haven't seen it, heard anything about the script, actors, or anything. You can't use Cap in your argument cause its not even a movie yet. What if Iron Man 2 is bad(I hope its not), we can't decide Cap yet the movie hasn't been made same goes for Thor. Even if IM2, Cap, and Thor are all great and people love them it doesn't mean putting them all in a movie will appeal to people as much. I am saying that I don't think its going to work for the general public really, but be something more for the fans. sorry that I didn't clarify what I meant by flop. I didn't mean I think its going to be Punisher War Zone I just meant I think it won't be as a big hit as Iron Man was. for the record I hope IM2, Cap, and Thor all turn out great same with the Avengers movie. I just think to people it will come off as more of a cash cow movie(which we know its not) than actually telling a story. but I might be giving people too much credit for recognizing stuff like that considering people are excited for the Dragon Ball movie.

What if all of these other heroes started popping up after Wayne became Batman? Some of them inspired by Batman. It makes sense IMO.

it doesn't IMO. it could for like Huntress other characters without powers stuff like that but try relating it Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, or the Flash.

Last edited:

Refresh my memory. Which part did they acknowledge Dr. Strange? I may have to watch Spider-Man again.

Refresh my memory. Which part did they acknowledge Dr. Strange? I may have to watch Spider-Man again.

mind you they just say his name. it's in Spider-Man 2 when J Jonah Jameson is trying to think up a name for Doc Ock. he says how "about DR. Strange" and his lacky replies "taken" i didn't mean he was in it. I just meant it acknowledged he existed for a incredibly brief second.

it would be nice if studios could work out some sort of Deals since Sony has Spider-man and Fox has the X-men and FF to work with marvel studios and incorporate these characters into the Marvel universe cause it is a shared universe. but that would mean FOX and Sony don't get 100% of the profits in that case so why would they even bother with an idea like that. I mean who wouldn't be excited if Sony announced "Marvel Studios, Sony, and director Sam Raimi will be working together for Spider-man 4." its never gonna happen but that would be awesome news.

Last edited:
Yup, little throwaway lines like that make all the difference.

i honestly can't tell if thats sarcasm or not. some people do actually believe stuff like that makes a difference. I don't think it does make a difference I just think its nice.

mind you they just say his name. it's in Spider-Man 2 when J Jonah Jameson is trying to think up a name for Doc Ock. he says how "about DR. Strange" and his lacky replies "taken" i didn't mean he was in it. I just meant it acknowledged he existed for a incredibly brief second.

it would be nice if studios could work out some sort of Deals since Sony has Spider-man and Fox has the X-men and FF to work with marvel studios and incorporate these characters into the Marvel universe cause it is a shared universe. but that would mean FOX and Sony don't get 100% of the profits in that case so why would they even bother with an idea like that. I mean who wouldn't be excited if Sony announced "Marvel Studios, Sony, and director Sam Raimi will be working together for Spider-man 4." its never gonna happen but that would be awesome news.

oh yeah. well I remember back when X-Men and the first spider-man came out, Marvel intended for all the movies to be in one universe. There was an interview about how they wanted like a headline in the bugle about the F4 and Dr. Doom in Spider-Man.

oh yeah. well I remember back when X-Men and the first spider-man came out, Marvel intended for all the movies to be in one universe. There was an interview about how they wanted like a headline in the bugle about the F4 and Dr. Doom in Spider-Man.

that would have been pretty cool too bad studios won't let stuff like that happen. sadly the way it works is if FF(Fox owns their movie property) appeared in a paper in Spider-man Fox would probably want a ridiculous percentage of profits for that appearance even though its free advertising for their property. and then some how Sony would try to argue they gained the rights to the character by placing them in their movie. cause its always about money.

Last edited:
that would have been pretty cool too bad studios won't let stuff like that happen. sadly the way it works is if FF(Fox owns their movie property) appeared in a paper in Spider-man Fox would probably want a ridiculous percentage of profits for that appearance even though its free advertising for their property. and then some how Sony would try to argue they gained the rights to the character by placing them in their movie. cause its always about money.

I know, but seems like when I read that interview, there was some kind of clause about that in the contracts the studios had for the movies. Don't take my word for it, because I'm trying to remember an interview from like 8 years ago, so i may be mistaken. It could just be wishful thinking, but I have a strong memory about it.

It's really quite odd how the lawyers miss the obvious point that both properties would get more money together then apart, even if their side won't own both.

so I heard a rumor "Marvel Studios, Sony, and director Sam Raimi will be working together for Spider-man 4." i think it should happen.

I have a feeling this thread has recently surfaced due to the news article with Marvel and their upcoming slate of movies. :hehe:

I have a feeling this thread has recently surfaced due to the news article with Marvel and their upcoming slate of movies. :hehe:
Actually with the news of Marvel's release date changes there will now be more DC films next year than Marvel films, which is certainly a switch. Of course what subsequent years bring in terms of DC films remains to be seen.

Actually with the news of Marvel's release date changes there will now be more DC films next year than Marvel films, which is certainly a switch. Of course what subsequent years bring in terms of DC films remains to be seen.

People probably shouldn't get too excited that they'll hear news soon. WB has plenty to talk about in the meantime with a full slate of films. It really wouldn't be a big surprise if we don't hear anything until this time next year about their 2011 slate of comic book films.

It also remains to be seen how films this year perform. Inglourious Basterds being a hit and a well received Sherlock Holmes would bode well for Sgt. Rock. The final tally on Watchmen, theatrical and on DVD, would tell us something about the direction of DC with some of their lesser known properties. And, of course, the quality of scripts that come in. Preacher and Y, the Last Man are in the wings and a good script would go a long ways towards getting them greenlit. You can say the same for Flash, WW, and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"