What is the definitve look of the Batsuit?

^Because Bruce thought that was the one good idea Azbats had or something. It sucked. And disappeared from pages pretty quickly.

^Because Bruce thought that was the one good idea Azbats had or something. It sucked. And disappeared from pages pretty quickly.

And thank god. Also, I personally prefer the separate boots and gloves, and I'm glad they were brought back.

And thank god. Also, I personally prefer the separate boots and gloves, and I'm glad they were brought back.

When they abandoned the Troika look they just went with a darker blue and grey scheme and no trunks. It literally was pretty much exactly the Batman Inc suit without some of the lines and the back lit bat symbol.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like the blue and grey with yellow oval Batsuit. Ok now don't get me wrong here guys, I like the black and grey Batsuit as well as the next Bat fan. But personally I prefer the Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, blue/grey with yellow oval Batsuit from the 70s and 80s.

Neal Adams:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/3133/115647-198338-neal-adams.jpg

Jim Aparo:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/18460-3039-20649-1-untold-legend-of-the_super.jpg

They way Aparo would sometimes "shadow" Batman's face makes me think he would have gone black in the way Kane intended it to be. I'll say the same for Byrne's work in Untold Legend of the Batman too.

When they abandoned the Troika look they just went with a darker blue and grey scheme and no trunks. It literally was pretty much exactly the Batman Inc suit without some of the lines and the back lit bat symbol.

Except that the Batman, Inc. Batsuit was black and gray, not blue.

They way Aparo would sometimes "shadow" Batman's face makes me think he would have gone black in the way Kane intended it to be. I'll say the same for Byrne's work in Untold Legend of the Batman too.

You mean that it's actually supposed to be black?

exactly, i have totally forgotten what the codename of the "all-black" suit was. i really really love it. give him seperate boots and gloves if you will, but all in all it's for me what batman should look like.

mark_bagley_SpiderMan_and_BatmanDiso.jpg

batspank.jpg
I love this.

If DC was really adamant about ditching the trunks in the New 52, they should have gone with the all-black look. It looks great.

90s_Batman_No_Shorts_1.jpg

Last edited:
^ I really like that look of the batsuit, but I wouldn't call it the "definitive" version simply because it isn't used nearly enough.

I love this.

If DC was really adamant about ditching the trunks in the New 52, they should have gone with the all-black look. It looks great.

It makes you wonder what would really be the proper course of action for Superman's suit, since it sortof faces the same problems. The Batsuit looks off when you simply remove the trunks and keep the gray bodysuit, and in a lot of cases the Superman suit does too, though some artists can make it work.

I love this.

It does look great, but I actually prefer the new trunkless look over that one. Minimalist black bat > oval.

It makes you wonder what would really be the proper course of action for Superman's suit, since it sortof faces the same problems. The Batsuit looks off when you simply remove the trunks and keep the gray bodysuit, and in a lot of cases the Superman suit does too, though some artists can make it work.

I think the new trunkless looks awesome. Now if only the belt were black, brown, or another dark color, that would be even better.

The trunkless Batman would look a lot better with a black belt.

The trunkless Batman would look a lot better with a black belt.

I completely agree. I don't know why DC doesn't seem to have done this with the minimalist black bat symbol simultaneously.

To add to my previous post, this is my favorite look:
ARB.jpg

As you might guess, I do not care for the trunkless look even a little.

To add to my previous post, this is my favorite look:
ARB.jpg

As you might guess, I do not care for the trunkless look even a little.

Alex Ross makes Batman look too much like a cosplayer for my tastes.

Trying to answer objectively, but:

Comics wise: The Neal Adams Look, The Year One look
Media Wise: Adam West, Tim Burton

For me it all depends on context. I can't just say I prefer one style over another cause it all works differently in different versions of Batman. I love Neal Adams Bat-suit, but don't think it would work in Year One for example.

I have enjoyed reading all of these posts. I have been flipping through my trades for reminders of the images you are referencing. It has been fun.

My favorite likenesses of Batman (totally influenced by personal sentiment):
Drawn by Jim Aparo in the issues of Batman - the early to mid 400's.
Drawn by Jim Lee in Hush series
Tim Burton's 1989 Batman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"