What was your favorite Nintendo console?

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
What is your personal favorite? I'm leaving out the handhelds and focusing strictly on consoles for the choices.

For me, it's the original NES. Played it for the first time at my Grandma's house in the late 80's. Kung Fu and the original Super Mario Bros. Stuff blew my mind. Immediately begged my Mom for one.

I have fond memories of playing Ninja Turtles 2-player co-op with my best friends, my buddies bringing Game Genie over to my house to use on Contra, finding the hidden warp whistles in Super Mario Bros. 3.

And the Disney Capcom games!

I owned only NES and SNES. NES was called Dendy. It was a Taiwanese hardware clone of Famicom, that was created for Russian market. It was widely popular in early-mid 90s. All games were pirated too, because there was just no other way to get official stuff. Pirated Taiwanese cartridges didn't have good package or manual. Price was rather cheap plus we exchanged them a lot among friends. So games library was rather high if put together - around 40-50 titles. Some of them were really bizarre games like Chip n' Dale shoot 'em up, NES version of Street Fighter II and MK, and other. It was basically the first console experience for everyone after some rare people had MSX and ZX Spectrum in late 80s. It was fun and accessible.

A bit later Nintendo started selling their official SNES in Russia and I got myself one. I had only 6 games, but it was totally worth it - Super Castlevania IV, Killer Instinct, Pirates of Dark Water, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Street Fighter II. Almost nobody else had SNES, because majority moved to Sega Genesis, but I have no regrets. Those were killer titles. I wish I had Super Metroid, though. Sega also had great games, but SNES with it's expanded color palette looked so special. It was the final Nintendo console I owned. Then... PlayStation arrived (and it's sequels) and ever since that's the only thing I wished to own.

All in all, my vote goes to SNES. Street Fighter II, the greatest fighting game of all time and my personal favorite, edges it for me. Everything else was just a bonus.

Last edited:
Trick question: 3DS, but will soon be taken by the Switch, but we'll see.

But if we're talking pure nostalgia: SNES.

Reactions: CJ
The Nintendo 64 was the king. It’s controller rewarded perserverence and punished ignorance

The SNES. It has pound for pound the best native catalog in Nintendo's history (not counting the virtual console), and maybe the best of any console. In nearly every genre you can think of there is at least one masterpiece-level game. Platformers, RPG's, racing games, fighting games, shooters. It had it all. There have been very few consoles since that have dominated like the SNES; it was Nintendo at the height of its powers and IMO it's never quite reached it since.

Nostalgia's gonna speak for me on this one, the N64 was my childhood. Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Paper Mario, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, those games defined the type of gamer I am and many of them are still among my favorite games ever made, my love for games like Witcher and Skyrim is rooted in the joy I felt playing Zelda as a kid for the first time, Paper Mario got me into turn based RPG's, Smash Bros. made me enjoy fighting games, and Banjo and Mario gave me a permanent love for 3D platformers. There are other games and systems that influenced my taste in games, but none have had anywhere near as much impact on me as the N64 era did.

Hands down.

giphy.gif

I'm not qualified to vote as I haven't played all the systems nor really kept up to date on all the consoles as I once had. It's just at the point for me where dreams I want to see become reality. The Wii introduced some of the progress necessary to bring this to life and really brought a new gameplay aspect never really seen before but at the same time I can't get past what was once offered.

NES had: Track and Field, Tecmo Football, Baseball Stars, Rad Racer 2 first then maybe RC Pro Am or Excitebike (if had to pick a non-arcade racer), Tecmo World Wrestling, Paperboy, Skyhawk, BlasterMaster, Captain America and the Avengers, Zelda 2, DoubleDragon 2, Mega Man 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mario 2, Kirby's Adventure, BattleToads, Tom and Jerry, Tiny Toons, Nightmare on Elm Street, Turtles 2, Return of the Joker, Adventure Island 3, Super C, Star Wars, you name it.

Once the consoles truly reach next gen. as I envisioned when I was a kid thinking about what the future would be then I'll vote that. At the moment though, I'm just going to stick with NES (although SNES I would've picked 20 years ago I'll stick with NES now).

Arcades though featuring some of these NES classics are my favorite though. The memories of being out and about at the Hockey rink, pizza place, rollerblade arena, or arcade out in that bigger town always had a certain flare that was above and beyond what could be captured at home.

Last edited:
My first console was the SNES, but my favorite was the N64 because I was basically there for its entire lifespan. Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Ocarina of Time were all I needed.

My first console was the SNES, but my favorite was the N64 because I was basically there for its entire lifespan. Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Ocarina of Time were all I needed.

Same way for me. The N64 came during my teens when I fully became a gamer! My holy grail of games were..

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Doom 64
Spider-Man 64
Goldeneye
Killer Instinct Gold
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
WCW World Tour
WCW/nWo: Revenge
WWF: No Mercy
WWF WrestleMania 2000
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Smash Bros

The Castlevania and Megaman game for N64 were fun as well. Star wars: Shadows of the Empire and Amourines I had the graphical expansion pack for.

These games being Early 3D haven't aged as well for me personally as I prefer the earlier tighter gameplay of NES or SNES but I can see them having a nostalgic component as well.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot to mention this but N64 also had Game Shark! Damn right I used them chat codes

Tough call but for me it has to be the NES and then SNES followed by the GameCube, Switch, N-64, Wii and the Wii-U is last because I never played let alone owned one.

The NES was the first console I owned. And the SNES was second. After that the GC and Switch are pretty close together, maybe the Switch coming out ahead. The N-64 was the first console I personally bought and the Wii was fun if gimmicky.

The NES was my first Nintendo console, but my favorite was its successor the Super NES. I also had a Nintendo 64 but fell off on the GameCube and Wii era.

Well it would be SNES even though i've recently started Ocarina of time on N64 Games, SNES is still the best to me. But i can say that i can play both consoles eually and also equally get satisfaction, as older games for are the way better in terms of storytelling and gameplay. Yes they have flaws but i guess that theese flaws are actually not so important for me

Last edited:
SNES

My faves...

TMNT Tournament Fighters
Super Mario Kart
Metal Warriors
Super Punch Out
Uniracer
Megaman X
Top Gear 2
Super Off Road
Super Mario World
Earthworm Jim
The Adventures of Batman and Robin

Super Nintendo.

The 64 was good, but all I played on it was Goldeneye.

SNES. I love my Switch, but the SNES is the console of my childhood ( well, that and the PS1 ), and the last console to be built around 2D graphics before the whole industry got drunk on 3D polygons for a couple decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"