What's The First Superhero Video Game You Played?

Shinobi Shaw

The Upstart Black King
Reaction score
Just as the subject says, let's jog the memory banks.

If I recall correctly, it's between these two because I got them around the same time:

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 11.12.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 11.12.33 PM.png

I'm old.

wasn't even thinking the turtles as a superhero game , but, yes if that counts, then that would been my first...

other then that probably the old X-men arcade game...

for home console probably Ultimate Spider-man

The first one I ever played that I can remember was the Spider-Man Maximum Carnage game at some friend's house on the Super Nintendo. The first one I can remember owning and playing a lot was probably the Spider-Man game for PS1. Lots of great memories with that one!

Think it was X-Men: Next Dimension

X-Men_-_Next_Dimension_Coverart.jpg

Interesting question.
I would say Batman Returns for the SNES, but i cant be sure.

Either way, that one is still one of my Favorites...i still dont get why nobody did follow that up.
Its such a simple game, yet so much fun.
Throwing enemies into windows and stuff, is just a lot of fun.

Probably Batman Returns on the NES or TMNT/TMNT2 on the NES.

-edit-
I vague memories of playing Superman on the NES as well.

The first one I ever played that I can remember was the Spider-Man Maximum Carnage game at some friend's house on the Super Nintendo. The first one I can remember owning and playing a lot was probably the Spider-Man game for PS1. Lots of great memories with that one!

Seriously, Maximum Carnage’s poster lives rent free in my head. That was a fun game lol.

Interesting question.
I would say Batman Returns for the SNES, but i cant be sure.

Either way, that one is still one of my Favorites...i still dont get why nobody did follow that up.
Its such a simple game, yet so much fun.
Throwing enemies into windows and stuff, is just a lot of fun.
For me, it was Turtles Through Time and Batman Returns for SNES.

Not enough people talk about the SNES Batman Returns game. It’s right up there with Final Fight and Turtles.

IMG_0278.gif

If you take Spider-Man as an example, it's funny how the limitations of those earlier games sorta flew over your head as a kid. Like that first PS1 game where you're "swinging" but your web just shoots up in the sky and doesn't attach to anything, and the street is just filled with fog that instantly kills you. Then you get to the second PS1 game and there's a bit more of a free roam introduced which felt mind blowing at the time. Now you play something like SM2 on the PS5 and people have complaints about everything from game length to gameplay.

Outside of Spider-Man I don't recall there being a Batman game in my collection. I think I played the Batman Beyond game at a friends house but I don't remember much about it. I do remember playing the Superman game on Nintendo 64 at a friends house but for the wrong reasons. That game was a trainwreck!

If Power Rangers counts, then it was that first MMPR SNES game. Not the best by any means but fun for a 6 year old.

1715381126458.png

If we're talking more traditional superheroes, then it was this piece of garbage:

1715381228892.png

I didn't discover the wonder of SNES Batman Returns until later.

Spider-ManAtari.jpg
The best part was having Spidey climb to the top of the building and then letting him fall and fall and fall and go splat on the concrete.

If Power Rangers counts, then it was that first MMPR SNES game. Not the best by any means but fun for a 6 year old.

View attachment 90037

If we're talking more traditional superheroes, then it was this piece of garbage:

View attachment 90038

I didn't discover the wonder of SNES Batman Returns until later.

Dude, to this day, I'm still confused about what kind of game Batman Forever was supposed to be. I had the same SNES one.

Was it a beat em up, a fighting game, platformer... I think Acclaim was confused.

Batman: Vengeance (2001)

So nostalgic to me and still one of my favourite gaming experiences ever. I really wish the sequel Rise of Sin Tzu wasn't a boring, old beat-em-up.

Dude, to this day, I'm still confused about what kind of game Batman Forever was supposed to be. I had the same SNES one.

Was it a beat em up, a fighting game, platformer... I think Acclaim was confused.
That's one of the games I had that definitely should have been a rental.

X-Men clone wars 2. I was like 5 years old.

I found this image but I don't remember being able to play with Erik.

images

Batman: Vengeance (2001)

So nostalgic to me and still one of my favourite gaming experiences ever. I really wish the sequel Rise of Sin Tzu wasn't a boring, old beat-em-up.

I forgot all about Vengeance. That was a fun game.

X-Men clone wars 2. I was like 5 years old.

I found this image but I don't remember being able to play with Erik.

images

LOL There was a code you had to do to play as Erik, I think you had to reset the Genesis like 20 times or something crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: Lip
Honestly, it may have been either Spider-Man (PS2) or Batman Vengeance. I remember renting both back in the day, just not sure which I played first. I can't recall playing any superhero video games in prior consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"