What's The Last Movie You Watched? - - - - - - Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Yet another of modern "horror" movies that follow the same pattern that excessively showing more blood and more gore is definitely more frightening, Raimi's original film has a charm to it that makes it stand out despite being not so scary, whereas now horror movies like this are churned out but there's just no soul to it. I miss when movies actually provoke and shock your audience without all the mess but I guess no one wants to tinker with a winning formula.

1/5

While I would ordinarily agree with this view, I think the "bloodier, gorier" take is justified for this series, since that's what it started out as to begin with. The original tree rape scene might be an awkward special effect today, but they definitely weren't playing it for laughs then. They were looking to be as shocking and gory as they could reasonably make it for the budget they had, so why shouldn't the remake take the same approach?

Caddyshack--10/10

Man of Steel (8/10):while some stuff in this didnt make much sense to me, and some of the Lois/Clark stuff felt a bit forced, it is a huge improvement on the other one, and i thought the individual performances were very solid. I remain hopeful for the next one.

To Be Or Not To Be (1983)

Mel Brooks FTW

2v9ujk9.jpg

3/5

Taken, or the last half hour of it, and now I am watching Legion. Eh, Paul Bettany is nice to look at, and he has a really cool voice!

Intouchables - 100/10

Identity Thief - 5/10

THE LONE RANGER

The Lone Ranger is definitely not the eye gouging travesty several critics have claimed it to be,but it's definitely
not highly memorable,but it is fun with some major faults.
When i go to see a film about a legendary heroic character i expect him to be just that....HEROIC!!
Sure some of The Ranger's (Armie Hammer) banter,bumbling and arguing with Tonto (Johnny Depp)
was amusing,but at times i felt it was overdone in the film,and unecessary scenes became more grating
as they popped up in and out of the film.
Fortunately the film looks great,an almost unrecognizeable William Fichtner portraying the sadistic
Butch Cavendish does well in his role.Tom Wilkinson is always a welcome presence,and Helena Bonham Carter's
Red Harrington is an interesting character but underused.

I enjoyed the action sequences but by the time the action packed railroad rally rolls onto the screen,i felt it was too little to late
So in the end TLR has its moments but most that you will be grateful you waited for cable or the DVD to see.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

DESPICABLE ME 2

Despicable Me 2 may be extremely predictable,but still managed to charm and entertain me.
Gru and crew (of course the 10,400 Minions are back) face off against a new villain with an assist from
Lucy Wilde, an Anti-Villain League agent,who is brought to life with some very enthusiastic voice work
from Kristen Wiig .Part of the fun of DM2 is a ton of cool visual references to some of my favorite films.
If your like me and my son and cant get enough of the Minions get read for a Major Minion Picture in

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

While I would ordinarily agree with this view, I think the "bloodier, gorier" take is justified for this series, since that's what it started out as to begin with. The original tree rape scene might be an awkward special effect today, but they definitely weren't playing it for laughs then. They were looking to be as shocking and gory as they could reasonably make it for the budget they had, so why shouldn't the remake take the same approach?

I can understand that but due to the low budget Raimi & the crew had to come up with ways of scaring the audience but it works because they resort to creativity like applying stop-motion for an example but the remake, there's more sense of freedom yet they followed the blueprint where the thinking is more in lines of how many different ways we can grossed out the audience of seeing someone being mutilated, it does little to distinguish itself and it just comes across lazy to me.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

World War Z 9/10
Man of Steel 9/10
Despicable Me 2 8/10

Been a busy day

Despicable Me 2, cute but I could have waited to see this. Kids want to see what kids want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"