Which changes in the Special Editions do you like (if any)

HarryOsborn

Civilian
Reaction score
I'll be honest, while I don't like many of the changes in the Special Editions, I grew up with the 97 edition and I can't take the Nub-Nub ending of Jedi seriously.

Yeah the music at the end of the return of the Jedi I think is more fitting. Also do not mind Hayden there.

It's been a while since I've watched them all, but the other changes like Jabba the Hutt, Greedo in a ANH, the Jedi dance and then the Vader saving Luke scene, which doesn't even make sense why he would do that to the most emotional scene in all six movies. Even all the special effects the only ones I really like are the very ending changes on Endor in return of the Jedi. The originals are much better.

97 ending of Jedi with the updated music and Sebastian Shaw is easily the best. I think a fair compromise would be to digitally give Shaw a face lift given Anakin was roughly 46-47 at his time of death and Sebastian Shaw was 80 when he played the part.

I like the Battle of Yavin changes in ANH and I really miss the Biggs scene whenever I watch the original. I don't mind the updated Sand Crawler effects either.

There are some here or there that irk me, like for example the ronto taking up the screen for like five seconds in Mos Eisley or the new musical number in Jabba's Palace, but generally speaking I love the Special Editions and feel like George didn't go far enough in a lot of cases.

Adding rocks in front of R2. I thought it really added to the story. :o

I like the updated Battle of Yavin in ANH, but I still very much enjoy the original version. It's a wonderful product of its time, and I love it. There are a bunch of updates that I like in the special editions, and a number of changes that were just absurd and silly imo.

The only changes to A New Hope that I don't mind are the added CGI shots of the Falcon and the X-Wings in the end battle, and I guess there's nothing wrong with the added Biggs scene at Yavin. The Jabba scene wouldn't bother me if the CGI didn't look ridiculous (in both versions).

I'm fine with pretty much all the changes made to The Empire Strikes Back. I wasn't a fan of the added scream that they gave Luke as he jumped off the catwalk in the 1997 version, but that's since been removed. The Emperor hologram doesn't bother me because it fits the continuity better, even though he's in the Revenge of the Sith makeup.

The only change to Return of the Jedi that I'm fine with is the ending music. Sorry purists, but "Yub Nub" is no way to end an epic trilogy. This was the only change to the original trilogy that actually improved the movie. And that's about where it ends for Return of the Jedi. The musical number at Jabba's palace is absolute trash. I'm embarrassed that I actually liked it when I was a kid and I first saw the ROTJ special edition. That one bothers me way more than the Hayden Christensen ghost.

The only changes to A New Hope that I don't mind are the added CGI shots of the Falcon and the X-Wings in the end battle, and I guess there's nothing wrong with the added Biggs scene at Yavin. The Jabba scene wouldn't bother me if the CGI didn't look ridiculous (in both versions).

The Jabba scene was redundant because it only gave information that the previous scene with Greedo already provided. And it ruins Jabba's eventual reveal in Jedi by being weirdly different in size and look. Basically it should've never been in the screenplay to begin with.

I like the extended approach at Mos Eisley (CGI that's pretty interesting and non-excessive) and also the alternate music at the end of Jedi (and showing the other planets, including Naboo, celebrating).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"