Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?

I don't really have a preference between the originals and special editions. Some of the changes I like, others I can live without. I do love the sharp picture quality of the special editions.

I'm also pro-SE. However, I admit I wouldn't have made all the changes he did though. Things like the revised Death Star battle, the Tattooine expansions and all that I loved. The Palpatine hologram change is great, as well as the extended Wampa scenes on Hoth. Overall, most of the changes and additions I really enjoy.

I wouldn't have added the dance sequence in ROTJ. That was unnecessary. I also probably would leave out the Jabba scene as well in ANH. It is an ok scene, but it sort of retreads what we just saw with Greedo. Regarding the BD release, I actually like the first "No" Vader gives, but wish they didn't throw in the longer one when he grabs Palpatine. It feels like they're playing off the "Noooo" meme that sprang up after ROTS. Also, even as a Prequel fan I thought including Naboo at the end of ROTJ wasn't really needed.

I will say, I hated Greedo shooting first, because the scene looks really choppy. However, I like the BD release where its been made into almost a quick draw moment and Han wins.

I wouldn't call myself 'pro-Special Edition', but I'm not opposed to the changes that were made, either, although I don't entirely understand what motivated some of said changes.

Some of the changes are great

Fixing Obi-Wan's lightsaber in Episode IV
Changing the music in the Return of the Jedi Finale
I'm actually not all that opposed to Hayden Christensen

I don't like the Jabba scene on Tatooine much
I'm not as outraged about Han not shooting first but I'd rather he did.
I liked the original Emperor Hologram because I feel the new one just looks out of place.
The only one I'm vocally against is the addition of the "NO!" in Return of the Jedi.

Not liking young Anakin in Jedi? I get it. I don't agree, but I get. However, this fixation people have with ****ing Yub Nub I don't think I'll ever understand. It's such a dopey, awful little song. Care to explain why that one is better than the other one?

Thank you! You have such powerful moments, Vader unmasked, Leia and Han uniting for good, Luke hosting a private funeral pyre for Vader, a redeemed Anakin Skywalkers force ghost, Nub Nub just ruins the moment imo.

Yeah overall I enjoy the changes in the special editions more

The only SE changes I liked:
1) Improved visuals and sound quality
2) Fixing prior technical errors (Rancor while holding Luke, floating thing on Emperor's face, etc.)
3) Explosion improvements
4) Luke in the hangar scene
5) Ian McDiarmid as The Emperor (I love him as an actor. That's his role. Period.)
6) The Jabba scene. I know I'm probably alone here, but I like it.

The rest need to go. Release those version on Blu-Ray and I'll buy it (and ROTS but that's it).

Unforgiveable:
1) Greedo shooting first
2) Hayden in Jedi
3) And BY FAR THE WORST: The new Jabba's palace song. WTF LUCAS? WTF?

I actually like the Jabba scene in A New Hope a lot too. It's a great example to use against people who say the Special Edition changes add nothing or don't improve the movies.

That scene provides great foreshadowing for The Empire Strikes Back and especially Return of the Jedi, and I know Han stepping on Jabba's tail is just a dumb thing they did because they could, but in context I think that Han would even do that provides some additional insight into the character. Even if Han never did that in the original movie, if he was never even supposed to do that in the scene, it's something that Han would do.

I'm biased, because I'm more familiar with the SEs, so I lean towards those.

Greedo shooting first I hate.

I wish they would fix all the sabers in ANH.
I also would not mind them updating the Death Star plans and the other computer tactical displays on the Falcon and other ships in ANH.

Im looking to buy the original trilogy to relive my childhood...There are so many DVDs out that I want to get the right one that stays close to the original but its okay to have enhancements.

Is there one WITHOUT Hayden Christenson? I dont want HAYDEN in my originals!

lol damn I use to see plenty of those years ago, now they go for $200+...Nuts

I have those. They're basically crappy copies of the OT on the second disc of a special-edition re-release. I was on the fence about getting them (DVD sites at the time were practically begging people not to get them), but I enjoyed watching the original Star Wars so much again that I went back the next day and got the other two.

I'm not anti-special editions, although there are plenty of things I don't like about them. I miss the original Death Star explosion, I hate the Jabba scene in ANH, the Greedo shooting first thing, and I miss Darth's "Bring my shuttle" in ESB (he was sounded so pissed off when he said that). But I love the updates to a lot of the effects, which would have looked terribly dated now, and the movies have never looked or sounded better. The changes really amount to a few minutes in each film, the movie as a whole is pretty much still intact.

But it does annoy me that we can't at least have the original versions. I grew up with those, it would be nice to re-visit them as well. The ones they did release are such lousy quality they are frustrating to watch, so I rarely watch them. If they did a retro-box set of the original films, I'd be the happiest Star Wars fan ever.

Oh god, I don't hate the Special Editions, I ****ing LOATHE them with every fibre of my being.

%99 of the changes were completely unnecessary and/or actually made the films much WORSE. They completely ruined why I love Star Wars.

My most hated 'additions':

*Han shooting first
*the CGI added in the Mos Eisley scenes
*The Jabba scene (redundant and terrible CGI)
*The new Wampa scenes
*Darth saying "Alert my Star Destroyer..." instead of "Bring my shuttle!" and showing him boarding the Star Destroyer - talk about redundant
*Boba Fett's new voice
*The new band performing in Jabba the Hutt's lair
*ALL the new footage of Boba Fett shoehorned in there
*ALL THE CGI!! **** CGI
*Adding Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ
*Adding the new Emperor in his awful makeup instead of Clive Revill
*The celebration scenes at the end of ROTJ (didn't need to see them.. the Ewok village celebration is enough)
*Darth Vader saying NO... NOOOOO

And a bunch of other little things that just annoy me. Will never watch the special editions again in my life.

I think that you can improve the quality of certain things in the original trilogy, but most of the changes were simply bad and pointless, i think that deleting Jabba was the best way to go, it built more hype for his appearance in Return of the Jedi.

I never understood the Darth Vader shuttle additions to Empire. It seems like Lucas wanted in..just because. It doesn't add ANYTHING. In fact, it ruins the editing quite a bit by adding Vader landing in the Star Destroyer's hanger (which was B roll from Return of the Jedi).

I don't understand it to this very day, even as a kid back then. We got the message in the original version. Now you guys wanna SHOW it?

I like a lot of work they did in terms of the backgrounds and a few special effects. In fact a love a lot of it.

What I hate is stuff like Boba's voice being changed, the added Jabba scene, "Nooo" during one of the most iconic moments in cinema history.

I never understood the Darth Vader shuttle additions to Empire. It seems like Lucas wanted in..just because. It doesn't add ANYTHING. In fact, it ruins the editing quite a bit by adding Vader landing in the Star Destroyer's hanger (which was B roll from Return of the Jedi).

I don't understand it to this very day, even as a kid back then. We got the message in the original version. Now you guys wanna SHOW it?
This is one of the things that kills me. Lucas' believed it wasn't clear, which I don't understand at all. It ruins the editing and effects the perfect score, which is incomprehensible.

Really? Lucas thought it wasn't clear enough? How was that possible? In the original cut, Vader said 'Ready my ship/shuttle'. Enough said. We got it.

Really? Lucas thought it wasn't clear enough? How was that possible? In the original cut, Vader said 'Ready my ship/shuttle'. Enough said. We got it.
I know, but if I am remembering this correctly, and it might even be in the commentary for Empire, Lucas thought Vader got their "too quickly" and thus felt like he appeared out of nowhere. I hate it, as the edits mess with what was utter perfection before.

I think the vitriol spat at Lucas for the SE versions is one of the most over the top reactions from any fanbase ever (as well as the prequel hate. I don't like the prequels either, but get the HELL over them already. It's almost been 10 years since they ended) but I still don't like them all that much.

The SE of Empire is fine with me and the only one that actual feels enhanced. The other two not so much.

The updated effects just look out of place. They look like exactly what they are: clean CGI effects stuffed into a film 30 years after they were made. It just doesn't mesh well. I can deal with them (accept the Jedi Rocks song. That is a freakin' nightmare), they just don't add a damn thing and just remind me that Lucas stuck new fancy effects in.

I wouldn't hate the SE, so long as they restored the original versions properly and released them on dvd/blu-ray.

If people would rather watch the special editions, that's fine. But at least show the original versions some respect and for all the fans who grew up with them.

Not everything with the Special Editions is problematic. I actually do approve of some things like how they improved the coloring on the lightsabers, the new Death Star explosion, using Ian McDarmid for Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back, the celebratory song on Endor in Return of the Jedi, calling "Star Wars" Episode IV: A New Hope, etc. But somethings are just ****ing offensive like how Lucas is so insistent on Greedo shooting, that awful song number in Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi, adding way too much CGI **** while introducing Mos Eisley, "Noooooo," etc.

And of course somethings could have been good, but were done poorly like introducing Jabba in A New Hope.

I'm for the changes as long as there good changes.I want them to:
-Update all the lightsabers.
-Update all the lasers.
-Update all the computer panels.
-Fix Vader's suit in ANH (blacken his eyes,give him his shoulder armor).
-Update Obi's death scene.
-Show the Millennium Falcon doing some aerial maneuvers.
-Vader and his crew doing some aerial maneuvers.
-improve the lightsaber fights.
-Show Vader loose the lightsaber fight in a better way.
-Show Vader throwing his lightsaber at Luke in a better version.
-Make the Ewoks ferocious looking,and add hundreds more of them.
-Make the droids that Luke & his family buy look more high tech/futuristic looking.
-Add some color variations to some Storm Troopers.
-Take out Jabba scene in A New Hope.
-Take out Vader's Noooooo in Return of the Jedi.
-When Vader is unmaked,make him look burned to a crisp.
-Make the battle on Hoth bigger.

Each film of the original trilogy needs to get a deluxe treatment with 3 versions:

-Original Theatrical Version in high quality
-Lucas's Special Edition
-Edited Final version supervised by Disney, Abrams, etc. which would give some final touches on the original trilogy in order to make it work more cohesively with the rest of saga, sort of like what the Star Wars Revisited has been doing, but this time with a bigger budget and more people working on it. It's pretty much what the Special editions were supposed to be. They should take how many years on this as necessary, as well as be given a proper budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"