Which do you prefer ? MCU characters vs Comic book versions

Batmannerism

Super-unknown
Reaction score
Yo, Marvel fans, here's a question for you. Do you prefer the MCU versions or comic book versions of the Marvel characters we've seen so far? (Now, I'm including the X-Men and Spider Man in this thread, even though technically they aren't Marvel Studios characters).

I know, that's a big question, and you'd probably have to break it down character by character, and of course the comic book versions have much longer histories ( 40+ years in some cases) and have had more ups and downs.

Here's the disclaimer, I'm more of a DC fan. Other than X-Men and Fantastic Four I've never really followed too many Marvel comics (and even then I really only followed those titles when John Byrne was working on them - I'm a Byrne fan).

However, the MCU has really got me interested in a bunch of Marvel characters I've never had any interest in before. I mean, I've always disliked Captain America, and I only own the Captain America/Batman team-up (because it's by John Byrne) but after Winter Soldier, I've been on team Cap.

Iron Man, I didn't mind back in the 80's and early 90s, but otherwise don't care for much - but on the big screen, he's a great character. I loved Iron Man (not so much IM 2 and IM 3) and RDJ took it next level in Civil War - I really feel he deserved more props for that film (as essentially a villain).

In contrast, Spider Man I think really peaked during the McFarlane years but has been still been a much more captivating character in the comic books ( except for the Superior Spider Man and all that clone nonsense......). The films have been okay, but I'd rather read a good issue of Spidey's adventures than see one of the movies.

The X Men characters pale in comparison to the comics versions IMO, and the FF films well....do I really need to go there ?

So, how you feel the MCU characters match up against their comic book counterparts ?

I'm only going to put the more prominent characters in the poll - rather than the supporting ones.

I hate modern Marvel comics, so the MCU easily wins against them. The classics can't be touched though.

Comic 616 Spider-Man (classic or modern) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MCU Spider-Man

the comic and the movie versions have different qualities, different strength in characterization and different weaknesses, just as the medias in which they appear. I really can't say I prefer one version over the other, I like them about the same. RDJ's Iron Man is not superior to the decades of comic Iron Man, nor is he worse. He's just a little bit different in certain aspects. The same goes for almost everyone on that list. (Now if you'd had included the Fant4stic or the DCEU, yeah, there's a clear winner in those scenarios, cause those are undeniably failed adaptations.)

Depends on the character

Yeah. And I imagine this can go for a lot of franchise, or cases like Blade where the film version is practically a reinvention. I think it's a character-by-character basis.

However, I will say that I think Hayley Atwell breathed life into Peggy Carter that I can't say I got from the comics. Right now, anyway. That could change.

Movie Guardians > Comic Book Guardians

Movie Tony made Iron Man an A list character

I prefer Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man to the MCU version.

Comic Book Hawkeye is so much better than MCU Clint, its depressing.

I pretty much agree with the poll results. But I'm one of those people that got interested in the comics because of the movies. I can see opinions differing greatly depending on origins of interest. I bet most people that disliked the Mandarin twist lean toward the comic counterparts.

which version of the comics?
I'm comparing any number of those or all to just one?

which version of the comics?
I'm comparing any number of those or all to just one?

Up to you dude.

You can make it as general or specific as you like.

Because I've never liked comic Cap, in any form, it's dead easy for me to say the MCU version is better.

Equally, Iron Man has never really done much for me, but after the first movie I was a big fan. The film version was far more engaging than any version of Tony Stark I read in the comics.

However, the Hulk would be tougher to evaluate. Peter David's legendary run stands out as being far superior to the films, but some other authors' runs probably wouldn't.

The other problem the Hulk has is that he's been portrayed by 3 different actors, of whom I still like Norton the best.

Weighing everything up, I think comic book Hulk has the edge, which is why I chose him - the worst comic book Hulk stories are worse than the big screen Hulk stories, but the best comic book Hulk stories are much much better than anything we've seen of movie Hulk so far.

Spider Man, I think, is a similar story. The comics have reached heights the movies just haven't . Tobey Maguire was a good Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield was decent, and Tom Holland was amazing (pun intended) with a very short amount of screen time to work with.

However, overall I still think that Spidey has been more interesting and engaging as a comic book character - he's hit highs and lows the movies have only touched.

Dr Strange has had some amazing stories over the years (I loved the Montesi formula saga, with Dracula). However, as a character I've always found him a bit dull - well, generically heroic. Cumberbatch really put a spark into him, and made him far more compelling than any of the comics have. Which is why MCU Dr Strange gets my vote.

As for GOTG, they're much better in the MCU (except maybe Gamora), Rocket is certainly much more entertaining. In contrast I still prefer the comic version of Thanos, I prefer the nihlistic madman, rather than the guy who sits in his floating chair smiling....I mean Thanos smiling, it doesn't work for me.

So just bust out your opinions and let rip.
Cheers.

wow this poll is all over the place.

I went MCU on everyone but Spider-Man, Hulk, Ultron and Hawkeye.

MCU more better but Spider-Man Raimi still the best

I know, that's a big question, and you'd probably have to break it down character by character, and of course the comic book versions have much longer histories ( 40+ years in some cases) and have had more ups and downs.

As great as the MCU is, it barely scratches the surface of the respective histories of its characters. Movie characters can only hope to honor their comic counterparts, but I've never seen one that completely outclasses the comic version.

Given that the actual comics have sucked since the mid 2000s, the MCU, with only rare exceptions.

Interesting, the poll seems to indicate that , like me, many people prefer the movie version of Captain America.

I've always found him the least interesting of Marvel's characters (even Fin Fang Foom is more interesting to me). However, Chris Evans and some talented directors have brought us a more nuanced version of Cap. I am really interested to see how he and Tony interact in Infinity war.

IMO Evans has done a better job with Cap than Jackman has with Wolverine.

Wolverine has been a fan favorite character - and while Jackman has done a great job ( haven't seen Logan yet, so this might change) it's less of an ask to make Wolverine someone we can get behind. Actually, in X-Men:origins and The Wolverine I actually liked him less than in the Singer films, because his gruff loner schtick got old - Something I feel that they've never captured in the movie Wolverine is his sense of humour, and incredibly deep sense of honour - I always remember Logan as a rough but honourable character.

Anyway, Evans Cap has grown over his films, much moreso than wolvie, and Cap is a tougher character to make likeable - sure, people who like to chant "U-S-A ! U-S-A !" will probably love him just for his symbolic presence. But what about the rest of the world - selling a superhero to the rest of the world who's main powers are American values is a tough ask.
But Evans and the Russos have managed it, far better than any comic writer
has, IMO.

Batmannerism has explained really well why mcu Cap can seen as better, so I wont go there myself.

Mcu Spider-Man has potential to be better than 616, but it's still too early to tell.

Hulk and Hawkeye were the only of the main six where I prefer 616 versions. I wish Ruffalo's Hulk were a bit more smart, so that he could talk more. And comic Hawkeye has wonderfully unique personality.

On Doctor Strange I couldn't decide. I find Cumberbatch's Strange to be so faithful adaptation that the two versions are practically the same.

Same goes for Daredevil. But mcu Kingpin is a clear improvement.

Batmannerism has explained really well why mcu Cap can seen as better, so I wont go there myself.

Mcu Spider-Man has potential to be better than 616, but it's still too early to tell.

Hulk and Hawkeye were the only of the main six where I prefer 616 versions. I wish Ruffalo's Hulk were a bit more smart, so that he could talk more. And comic Hawkeye has wonderfully unique personality.

On Doctor Strange I couldn't decide. I find Cumberbatch's Strange to be so faithful adaptation that the two versions are practically the same.

That is very kind of you to say Sir ! :)

I think it's tough to really get behind MCU Hulk, because he's had 3 very different portrayals by different actors. Ruffalo has been Hulk only in 2 (soon to be 3 films) and he hasn't had a lot to do - although Whedon had some pure gold Hulk moments in Avengers "Puny god !" being the best.

I suppose an advantage that both Cap and Iron Man have is a consistent portrayal over the last 9 years ( hmmm... Cap TFA, Cap TWS, Avengers, Avengers AoU, Cap CW, Iron Man, IM 2, IM 3, both Avengers films and CW) that's a pretty good run for both of them. Those actors have really put their stamp on those characters. While originally I felt RDJ was the better of the two by miles, I think Evans has gotten better every appearance - while RDJ really didn't develop much from IM (which of course is one of the few really definitive portrayals of a superhero that was perfect first time, like Reeve's Superman). I give RDJ the edge, because of his amazing work in Civil War,
which IMO didn't get enough praise - that scene where he watches Tony's parents' murder.....really emotional. You get the feeling of a guy who's really dancing on the edge of collapse for the whole film, with his divided loyalties - and the bravado and arrogant facade really starts to show how thin it is.

Yeah, I feel like the only time comic book Tony got to that level of human drama was during the "demon in a bottle " phase of the 80's.

For Cap, it's not even close - he's never come close to being as well rounded and engaging a character as Evans has portrayed.

MCU Cap also started to show the facade cracking. After they fly away from the airport battle and he says " Whatever it is, we'll deal with it." you can tell he's trying to put on a brave face, but he's not really so sure.

Sounds like I should have paid more attention to comic book Hawkeye, people seem to really rate him.

That's because MCU Hawkeye is tragically underdeveloped, while he's a beloved character in the comics

Generally, I'd say the MCU characters are better, especially right now
the comics are so godawful that it's not much competition

but I give it to these comic characters over their MCU counterparts:
-Widow -Hawkeye -Spidey -Quicksilver -Strange -Vision -Ultron

They're all characters who haven't really received enough characterization to reach the levels of their comic counterparts [yet]. Except Widow. I'm just not a huge "scarjo" fan.

Comics are crap now, ironically partly because of how they go out their way to emulate the MCU, but the best runs on comics beat the movies.

Best of comics > Best of MCU.

I don't get what folks see in MCU Cap that is apparently missing from comics Cap, particularly post-TFA Cap. Takes all kinds, I guess.

I hate modern Marvel comics, so the MCU easily wins against them. The classics can't be touched though.
Honestly, when it comes to Daredevil the modern is better than the classic if you go before the McKenzie run, and that in turn makes MCU Daredevil >>>> older take on the character. For modern DD (I count starting with 2000) only the Andy Diggle stuff is terrible.

The Brubaker stuff for Captain America is great, Golden Age classic Cap is pretty ok-ish.

Both classic and modern have wider meaning than what you thought of making this post of yours.
Comic 616 Spider-Man (classic or modern) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MCU Spider-Man
I agree with this.

Depends on the character
I also agree with this.

Uh, how does the MCU version of Spidey have the potential to better than 616 when he has over 50+ years of stories & characters over him? just curious.

MCU Cap is better than 616 Cap imo, I could never really get into him prior to The First Avenger

Uh, how does the MCU version of Spidey have the potential to better than 616 when he has over 50+ years of stories & characters over him? just curious.

MCU Cap is better than 616 Cap imo, I could never really get into him prior to The First Avenger

Same way how mcu Cap can be better than comic version, despite other having 70+ years of stories over him. ;)

So far I find Holland's Peter Parker to be very likable and this character's deeper ties to the rest of the universe are interesting. If these Spider-Man movies are good and the character grows properly in them, I can see myself preferring this version.

CB Spidey over the MCU any day. It goes CB > Tobey/Andrew > Tom for me, easily.

MCU Cap is wonderful, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"