Comics Which version was better?

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
Which story of Aunt May discussing Peter's double life was better? ASM #400 or the issue written by JMS (I forget the issue number)?

i fear this may suffer from the fact #400 is a thing of legend now. May should never have been brought back and this can only cloud my opinion against JMS' version. #400 was perfect as it was.

I liked JMS' version... realistic. Great dialog. And, Aunt May didn't look like she was 150-years old and DIE in it.

I read issue #400 sometime AFTER I had read JMS'. I was shocked they had tried to kill Aunt May in the first place and then had it explained as another ploy to rid the Spider-Man titles of Peter and MJ. Obviously that tainted it for me.

i read both, i chooseJMS, this is what i always wanted. peter telling (even though she found out on her own) about him being spider-man. and there is no way in hell that hag in 400 knew he was spider-man. she always said "spider-man's a menace" this "spider-man's evil" that. i got tired of it. i hope i dont make too many people mad, but 400 was so fake

I like them both a lot, but JMS's version seemed more realistic on how they discussed it.

If there is any one thing I think most fans can agree on about JMS is that he writes the best Aunt May ever. So I do believe that his bit with Aunt May discovering the truth works better. Especially since it hasn't been retconned away.

what the heck?? I thought I posted on this thread already??

anyway....

Both versions are equally brilliant.

JMS's version is better. I never bought for a second ASM #400. If it were true, then May made Peter's life a living hell and even nearly killed him, all the time knowing he was Spider-Man. She'd have to have been insane.

First off, I despise what JMS has done to Spidey. He has done the two worst storyarcs in Spidey's history (Sins Past and The Other, like I needed to say it out loud).

That being said, his Aunt May discovering Peter's ID was far better than ASM #400. I liked ASM #400, too, but, as Dragon said, she nearly got him killed a couple of times....she'd have to be off of her rocker to have known alla long and still do the things she did.

Both stories (JMS', in particular) were fanboy jerk-offs.

^lol. nice.

i dont agree with most of you.wow. thats never happened before. aunt may is an elderly woman. she shuda died... oh, i dunno, in 1994, something like that :p
i just dont want her dying a horrible death :( hmm, maybe she's the new DD and can die a hero. thatd be cool.

nothing can top asm400 nothing

RAMORE said:
nothing can top asm400 nothing

Try Amazing Fantasy # 15, ASM # 31-33, 39-40, 50, 88-90, 121-122, and much, much more.

Well for a reocurring storyline JMS worked better and he writes be3tter diologue but ASM #400 was such a BRILLIANT conclusion to the character and though the diologue was not quite as realistic it was emotional.

I'll also add it looks like ASM #400 is influencing Raimi for SM3 by the way.

Captivated said:
I liked JMS' version... realistic. Great dialog. And, Aunt May didn't look like she was 150-years old and DIE in it.

She always looked like she was 150 years old and about to die, every since Amazing Spider-Man # 1. It's only been since JMS came on board that they sort of "deaged" her.

Oh yeah, and # 400 because I remember buying it when it first came out and it was one HELL of an emotional issue. Too bad it got SPIT on.

ASM#400 ofcourse, May should have never been brought back.
I got ASM#400 the day it came out and felt sad about it, but thought it was done really well and that it was the right time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"