Who has the better rogue gallery? Spider-man or the Avengers?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
I was noticing that the Avengers have pretty cool enemies? So who has the better rogue gallery?

While not on the same type of world-threatening level as the Avengers, Spidey's always had a stacked lineup of enemies to choose from - probably the main reason I ever got into him...

i think when jms took over the writing reins of asm, he immediately established this sort of totemesque notion that one's enemies follow suit. to whit, spider-man, a spider, dukes it out with lizards, vultures, scorpion, spider-slayers, octopi, and so on. this idea really resonated with me, and further clarified how awesome spidey's rogues gallery is. the avengers fight some pretty cool foes--ultron, korvak, aliens--whatever, but spidey's are generally more personal, more verminy, and just downright more cool.

The Avengers have rogues that a higher threat level than Spidey's rogues could ever dream of being. Kang would ***** slap Doc Ock, go back in time then bang his mom.....

The Avengers have rogues that a higher threat level than Spidey's rogues could ever dream of being. Kang would ***** slap Doc Ock, go back in time then bang his mom.....

yeah, but the higher the threat level doesn't automatically make 'em a better villain....

(although yes..lol..Kang WOULD bit*h slap the poor Doc pretty badly..)

Kang, Ultron, Dr. Doom, Thanos > Spidey's villains

Spidey has as much claim to Doom as the Avengers do. FF trumps in that department though. And since Spidey is in the FF AND the Avengers, I'd say he gets Doom before the Avengers do.

:D

:doom: :doom: :doom:

I think that the Avengers have a better claim to Doom than Spidey. That said, you're totally right about the FF trumping them in that department.

Also, Spidey is on the FF the same time that Doom is on the team, so that should kinda nullify Spidey's claim a bit.

First and foremost when I think of Doom I think of the FF..so while the good Doctor certainly has his interactions with a good portion of the MU, (and with the Avengers & Spidey of course), I don't think of him automatically when I think of either hero(s)...

also, the question is who has a better rogues gallery, not necessarily who is the strongest/smartest/most powerful. i think spidey's is just more interesting. having said that, norman osborne is not to be trifled with by anyone, and i think ock might surprise you in a showdown with kang....

You know, I've always thought Spidey had a pretty overrated Rogue's gallery.

I mean sure, Doc Ock, Kraven, Mysterio and Green Goblin (even though he's evolved beyond being just a Spidey villain) are pretty cool. But then who else? Venom? Pffft. Carnage? Get outta here. Electro? Guys useless.

Avengers have got the likes of Ultron, Kang, Thanos, Count Nefaria. You could throw Loki, Red Skull, Mandarin, Baron Zemo in there.

electro is pretty powerful when he utilizes his full potential, or rather when writers utilize it. and what about the lizard, black cat, sandman, vulture, the rhino, morlun? there are many goblin incarnations, one of whom is spidey's best friend. and even tho norman osborn's green goblin has spread out to touch all the marvel universe, he is still squarely spidey's.

But that's the thing, Electro, on paper, should be a beast. But he rarely, if ever, is. He's useless and whinges like a little girl.

Sandman and Rhino are cool too actually. Never liked Lizard or Vulture or Black Cat.

But that's the thing, Electro, on paper, should be a beast. But he rarely, if ever, is. He's useless and whinges like a little girl.

Well..if you're gonna go that route, there is a pretty good number of Avengers foes that if they were utilized as originally conceived, there pretty much WOULDN'T be any Avengers or MU - heck, Galactus in all likelihood would have had us as a tasty morsel years ago..lol.

good point, greenrage. we are all just waiting to be garnish on galactis' plate. and morningstar, your point is well taken, also. a handful of times, electro has been fully unleashed, mostly by bendis. but generally, he is a whiny sap, which typically leads to his undoing, even though his powers are really unlimited.

I WILL give admission though...AFAIK the Avengers never had to deal with the unholy terror known as ...The Rocket Racer...(gasp...oooh...)...:dry:

...but anyway...yay..Spidey!! :awesome:

hey! rocket racer is a groovy, funkadelic, master of gleaming the cube, man! and like many of his ilk, he is now an ally of spidey's. they just get along so well!

hey! rocket racer is a groovy, funkadelic, master of gleaming the cube, man! and like many of his ilk, he is now an ally of spidey's. they just get along so well!
Lol..that may be the case, but back when I saw the issue where he made his first appearance - even in my wide-eyed innocent kid's eyes I knew that was an iffy prospect at best...

Avengers kind of get to cheat since they can lift their villains off the best of Thor, IM, Cap, Hank Pym, and really pretty much anybody who's anybody in the MU.

Since I consider better for a villain to be better characters rather than who would win in a fight I'd have to go with Spider-Man. Most of the Avengers villains are just people that want to conquer the world which makes a good threat but not much in terms of character or motivations. The best avenger villains in terms of character are loki and ultron beyond that they're a bit one note.

Though I have to say having just seen the cartoon I'm loving the characterizations of those avenger villains. Damn Leader was badass in that.

Like man if you're counting modok as an avengers villain, that's a million billion points right there

GIANT FLYING MURDERHEAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"