Who has the Worst Rogues Gallery in the Marvel Universe?

Yeah, DD kinda "stole" the Kingpin away from Spider-Man.

Yeah, but Frank Miller did a lot to develop Kingpin in the DD series and the Spidey writers had no plans for him in the 80s. A lot of the iconic stuff about Kingpin came from Frank Miller, including his real name. Really Kingpin's best stories were in DD, not Spider-Man.

Namor isn't a villain, nor is Silver Surfer so scratch them off. Ronan and Annihilus are B rate, at best. FF only have 2 great ones.

Namor and SS may not be villains, but they were FF rogues. Which is what this poll is about. And Ronan and Annihilus are both pretty awesome. Just read Annihilation.

Ultimately, Fantastic Four has some of the best rouges in comics. Heck, I prefer them to Spidey's rouges.

Winter Soldier, again, not a villain. And Baron Zemo is a Red Skull knock off. Cap has one great one.

Winter Solider was a villain so I'd sure as heck count him. And if you think Baron Zemo is a Red Skull knock off I'd suggest reading comics involving Zemo.

Kingpin is more of a Spider-Man villain and Elektra is another that really isn't a villain, that leaves Bullseye, who if not for Collin Farrell would nevet have gotten his 15 minutes of fame.

While Kingpin may have initially been a Spidey villain, he has clearly become one of Daredevil's rogues over the years. Not sure what the whole point of bring up Farrell is, but Bullseye is an awesome villain and better than anything IM's rogues have to offer.

Last edited:
Kingpin is both a Spider-Man and Daredevil villain. The Kingpin is to Daredevil what the Joker is to Batman and is to Spider-Man what Scarecrow or Riddler are to Batman. Basically, he is a Spider-Man villain but the Daredevil villain. Daredevil didn't steal Kingoin from Spidey; he just has a larger role in Daredevil's world than in Spider-Man's world.

Yeah, but Frank Miller did a lot to develop Kingpin in the DD series and the Spidey writers had no plans for him in the 80s. A lot of the iconic stuff about Kingpin came from Frank Miller, including his real name. Really Kingpin's best stories were in DD, not Spider-Man.

Uh, I wasn't disagreeing. :huh:

Spider-Man writers did use Kingpin several times during the 80's in numerous gang war stories and such. Kingpin became a central character in DD though and to this day, I consider him DD's #1 villain.

I'm gonna go with the X-Men of the listed ones. Sure, Magneto is a great character, but a great deal of them are either very one-note or difficult to utilize effectively. Plus, with such a large cast of characters, the X-franchise has a much larger pool of exclusive terribleness than anyone else.

Uh, I wasn't disagreeing. :huh:

Spider-Man writers did use Kingpin several times during the 80's in numerous gang war stories and such. Kingpin became a central character in DD though and to this day, I consider him DD's #1 villain.

I wasn't disagreeing, I was merely expanding upon a point you made.

I am just disagreeing with the idea that Miller "stole" Kingpin, when really what did is take a somewhat underused and underdeveloped character and put him a venue where he would get more attention and get more development, rather then having to fight for the spot light with the other major Spider-Man rogues.

Mandarin may not be A-List but he's quite high on the B-List and is much more an Avengers-level threat that the likes of Bullseye or most of Spider-Man's rogues. Less popular? Definitely. Less of a threat? Absolutely not. How many times has the Kingpin, Rhino, or Klaw almost conquered the planet in the last five years? 'Cause Mandy's came close twice since 2007. He may have started out a third-tier "red scare" villain but the Mandarin has definitely evolved well past such a jokey stereo type since his debut 40 YEARS AGO.

There's (mostly) no such thing as bad characters, only bad writers. With some notable exceptions. Paste Pot Pete? Come on!

But having a powerful villain doesn't make for an interesting villain. Doomsday is a very powerful, but he is more interesting then Lex Luthor? Count Neferia is one of the most powerful villains around, but how many people like better then the Spider-Man's street level villains?

Really Mandarin's problems don't stem from lack of power or ability, but a lack of consistent writing in terms of motives and personality. Knauf Mandarin seems like a different character from Fracation Mandarin and they both seem like a different character from the Silver Age Mandarin. He has almost succeeded in taking over the world twice, but he does have an interesting reason for wanting to take the world or does he want to take over the world because he is a super villain and that is what super villains do? Mandarin seems more like an archetype then a character and really an arch nemesis should be more then that. By making him Iron Man's arch nemesis, invite comparisons to other major arch nemesis villains: Magneto, Dr. Doom, Red Skull etc and Mandarin is not as well written as those guys, he does not have the same level of consistent writing or dynamic rivalry with the hero as those guys.

Last edited:
:lmao: Somebody picked Spider-Man's rogues gallery as the worst? Seriously. :dry: I'm not a huge Spidey fan, but come on...He's got great rogues.

I'm still trying to figure out Hulk's rogue gallery

Kingpin is also a Punisher villain. I've always preferred Kingpin as an enemy to Daredevil and the Punisher rather that Spider-Man.

I have no issues from the Kingpin being a shared villain in the Marvel Universe, and clearly, I can recognize that he came to being in a much more powerful figure under Miller's DareDevil run... it's what followed that upsets me... back in ASM #197, when Vanessa Fisk was getting the Kingpin to give up his life of crime, after getting his affairs in order, he dedicated the last 12 hours to destroying Spider-Man... his sworn enemy...

What followed in the 80's was him treating Spider-Man as a "joke", which never sat well with me... it's only in the last 10 years or so that the Kingpin treats Spider-Man with more respect like he did back in the day...

:yay:

I'm still trying to figure out Hulk's rogue gallery

The Leader
Abomination
General Ross

and Jeph Loeb :o

back in ASM #197, when Vanessa Fisk was getting the Kingpin to give up his life of crime, after getting his affairs in order, he dedicated the last 12 hours to destroying Spider-Man... his sworn enemy...

I love that story. :up:

Hulk's enemies aren't that bad, I mean guys like General Ross, Abomination, The Leader, Madman, The Red King, Miek, Ryker, Devil Hulk and the Maestro are pretty good villains.

I only know of the three runawayboulder mentioned.

I think I would take Mandarin, Stane, Madame Masque, the Hammer family, Whiplash, AIM, and Crimson Dynamo over those three.

I think I would take Mandarin, Stane, Madame Masque, the Hammer family, Whiplash, AIM, and Crimson Dynamo over those three.

Man, that's a crappy list of villains right there. The only one I even remotely like is Madame Masque, and that's just barely.

Abomination and Maestro alone are better than that group (in my opinion).

I picked other since Ms Marvel only has Moonstone and not anyone else.

Here is my thing about this, I voted Iron Man and I am a life long Iron Man fanatic, read my first Iron Man comic when I was 9, back then his rogues showed up and were used, but over the last several years, before the movies came out, Marvel all but stopped using Iron Man's rogues, run after run was spent with Stark being secretary of defense, head of shield, being a jerk most of the time, all of Iron mans rogues were all but forgotten about, I was so sick of it, I stopped collecting the titles.
Now, does Iron Man have a good rogues gallery, not right now, but there are some great characters that could be used Spymaster, Ghost, Madam Masque, Controller, it would take some writer to come along and make an effort like was done with Flash, his rogues were laughable, but a writer came along and upgraded them and made them interesting, now there is a story coming with alot of Iron Mans rogues as stars, we will see how they are handled and if people will read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"