Who will Lead the X-Men after Xavier's passing?

I'm still reeling that Xavier and possibly Scott will die in this film. In my opinion it's totally unacceptable.

Cyclops can die, but Xavier is a big no-no...........

They should put out an ad in the paper...
NEW LEADER WANTED FOR SECRET MUTANT REBEL TEAM
Apply within

Milkman95 said:

I was hoping Cyclops would finally get his due in this film, since he was admittedly shafted in the last two films, and with this one supposedly dealing with the Dark Phoenix Saga...that seemed like the case.

Now, it looks like he's going to pave way to a stupid Wolverine/Storm relationship. And Xavier dying...

NO. FRIGGIN'. WAY. :mad:

I know im a newb and this is my first post but why does the Phoenix have to be the Dark Phoenix. I always thought that when Jean first came back she was the good Phoenix. Anyways with that I really hate the idea of killing off characters. I think they are doing a good job of keeping Mags alive. I hope they bring back Sabretooth and Toad at one point in the sequels.

P.S.- If they do kill off pro. x I like your ideas about the young X-men spinoffs. Maybee they can do a Generation X spinoff too.

Lightning Strikez! said:
This is true and you are correct. Sadly, however, this is Hollywood. Whether or not it makes common sense is irrelevant--the bottom line is it makes good business sense. If X3 marks the beginning of a tastefully-done love story between the two--and not some slam-bam-thankya-ma'am business, I don't see what the harm is.

I too would prefer Scott to take the lead with Storm as his right-hand woman, just as it was in X1. They are leaders and they should be in the saddle together.

It doesn't "hinge" on Halle, but I disagree with regards to Hugh. Right or wrong, Bryan Singer has made him the identifying symbol of the X-Men. Hell, Logan IS the X-Men now. And that's pathetic. He cannot leave...although a well-cast Remy LeBeau might take fans' minds off of him. :cool:

I disagree...they are marquee names for this franchise. They, along with Ian and Patrick are the biggest box office draws, period. And yes, the franchise would certainly survive without Halle, yet it needs Storm--if that makes any sense. If Cykes is out of the picture, you have to have Storm and vise versa. They are the essential leaders of the X-Men and ground the team in ways other characters cannot. Remember, Scott, Jean, Storm, Xavier and Logan have always been the most popular X-Members. If you kill off 3 of them, and give the other a solo series, you're messing up the appeal even for comic fans.

I agree that if they slowly develop it through this film and possibly future sequels it would be more okay. Lets just hope that's one of the changes made from the AICN draft, because according to that Storm and Logan are already shacking up. God forbid.

In response to your third statement, that's exactly my point. Other characters like Gambit can come onto the scene and replace the vacant "popularity roles" left by Wolvie and Storm. This way we get to see new characters fleshed out without the films getting too crowded. And the thing is, with a Wolverine solo film being made, I see Logan leaving the team somewhere down the line to make way for that spinoff story. Gambit is popular enough to take his place, plus it would make perfect sense b/c Gambit is a mysterious loner himself, and with Logan gone we wouldn't have to worry about Remy being called too similar, as some of the producers have expressed in regards to his character.

They may be box office draws compared to say Shawn Ashmore or Vinnie Jones, but in the big scheme of things Hugh and Halle and Patrick and Ian don't bring in audiences like Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts. They can be considered stars or marquee names, but that doesn't equal box office drawing power. Once again I should've been more clear, I think the franchise can survive without Storm and even Wolvie if you have Gambit there to take his place, as I stated above. I don't think we're on the same page here, because you mentioned Cyclops being out of the picture. Seems like you're debating what most likely WILL happen whereas I'm debating what SHOULD happen. The way I see it 3 of the most popular X-men wouldn't be gone because I think Cyke should stay alive and stick around. So we'd still have Cyke, Jean, Rogue, Iceman, Beast, Angel, and hopefully Gambit and Colossus. I think with that roster the franchise could go on w/o Storm and Wolvie.

But if we're talking what most likely will happen, then you're right. If Cyke is gone then Storm has to stick around to lead the team. I'm just hoping that's not the case and Cyke survives to continue his leadership. BTW can you tell me how to respond to different statements individually? I've never figured that out.

Milkman95 said:

The team can go on w/o Xavier, they've done it in the comics. Cyclops is the one who's been shafted in the previous films and deserves more screen time.

^ As assinine as the comics have been with killing off characters and bringing them back, even they have not "ACTUALLY" killed the Prof X!

But for arguments sake, let's say they do, why would you want that horrible cycle to even begin to rear it's ugly head in the movieverse?

Wolverine and Storm will never be taken out of the movies. Wolverine, because he's Wolverine, they'd just never do it. Storm, she is the only major black X-Men (or superheroine at all), Fox wants color in their movies, simple as that

Oh I forgot about that. You're right. Well they could bring in Bishop, but he'd have to be very different from his comic book counterpart to work on screen, maybe a regular cop or something.

Angry Sentinel said:
^ As assinine as the comics have been with killing off characters and bringing them back, even they have not "ACTUALLY" killed the Prof X!

But for arguments sake, let's say they do, why would you want that horrible cycle to even begin to rear it's ugly head in the movieverse?

I'm not saying I'd like Xavier to die, but I'd much rather it be him than Cyclops. It would make much more sense story-wise to have the mentors (Xavier, Magneto) die and the proteges (Cyclops, Mystique) take over. It's an age-old concept: the mentor dies and passes the legacy onto the next generation. It was foreshadowed in X1.

I really don't know what to think about the Storm and Wolverine thing. Who said it had to be some kind of serious romance or something. Maybe it's only touched on. It doesn't bother me much.

Now with Cyke and Prof. X, I really would prefer neither or them die, if that's what would happen. But if they had to kill off someone, for Xavier to die and Cyclops to live and still not lead in any capacity in the movie, well that would just make me a lot madder about Xavier dying. I mean what would be the point. I would want them both to live, but if they kill off Prof. X and not Cyke and he still has a small non-meaningful role... :mad:

Supreme Power said:
I really don't know what to think about the Storm and Wolverine thing. Who said it had to be some kind of serious romance or something. Maybe it's only touched on. It doesn't bother me much.

Now with Cyke and Prof. X, I really would prefer neither or them die, if that's what would happen. But if they had to kill off someone, for Xavier to die and Cyclops to live and still not lead in any capacity in the movie, well that would just make me a lot madder about Xavier dying. I mean what would be the point. I would want them both to live, but if they kill off Prof. X and not Cyke and he still has a small non-meaningful role... :mad:

I agree with you....it'd be a waste.

i've said it before and i've said it again

killing off cyke and xavier could be the DUMBEST idea this series has done (and that's the top of a very big list)

You may say that now but it may been the best thing to do once you've seen the movie...

I've got a question if they do kill off Pro X does that mean there going to kill off Jugernaut or atleast take away his powers. Because if you think about it the whole reason Marko is the Jugernaut is to seek revenge on his step brother Charles. So if hes dead what would be his new purpose?

I'm sure he'll find something to do...or stay with the Brotherhood...

Milkman95 said:

Does anyone like Cyclops anymore? Anyone? People were like "We have to have Beast and Angel. They're the originals!"

But when the notion of killing of Cyclops comes up, they're like "It's fine". Even though he was an original member too.

I'm not pointing my finger at you, Milkman, but it's just the way you wrote that down.

People here underestimate the mainstream audience. They probably wont' buy Cyclops dying UNLESS it's tasteful and he gets his share of the action with Jean.

The Revengers said:
I've got a question if they do kill off Pro X does that mean there going to kill off Jugernaut or atleast take away his powers. Because if you think about it the whole reason Marko is the Jugernaut is to seek revenge on his step brother Charles. So if hes dead what would be his new purpose?

I don't think that there's been any evidence to suggest that Marko is actually Chuck's brother in the movieverse. They're probably going to be taking all kinds of liberties with the character anyway, since I don't think that they have the time to go into the whole Cyttorak business.

Octoberist said:
Does anyone like Cyclops anymore? Anyone? People were like "We have to have Beast and Angel. They're the originals!"

But when the notion of killing of Cyclops comes up, they're like "It's fine". Even though he was an original member too.

I'm not pointing my finger at you, Milkman, but it's just the way you wrote that down.

People here underestimate the mainstream audience. They probably wont' buy Cyclops dying UNLESS it's tasteful and he gets his share of the action with Jean.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest Cyke fan. But he is definitely not a character that can just be written off, popped out of existence. They haven't given him what he deserves regarding character development, but they've given him enough (mostly through Jean) that killing him off should not be an option. Or at least not smiting him in the first few minutes, as has been suggested. After all he's been through, the audience will want to see him come to terms a bit with things before he goes.

Sure, Wolverine is screwed up mentally, but Cyke? We've actually seen the problem happening, when Jean died. We as the audience were able to participate in the moment that probably changed his life forever. And as such we deserve some closure.

But hey, Marsden has been shooting Superman, so lets forget about all of that and kill Slim.

Seen said:
I was hoping Cyclops would finally get his due in this film, since he was admittedly shafted in the last two films, and with this one supposedly dealing with the Dark Phoenix Saga...that seemed like the case.

Now, it looks like he's going to pave way to a stupid Wolverine/Storm relationship. And Xavier dying...

NO. FRIGGIN'. WAY. :mad:

Well,I'm guessing its because Jean wont be diving into a sun and destroying galaxies and s**t,so they need her to commit another form of devastation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"