• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

World Who would have been a good villain for the Supergirl film back in 84?

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
I've been thinking alot lately about what a missed opportunity the 1984 Supergirl movie was and how one if the contributing factors in this messy film was the poor excuse for a villain. But not knowing a whole lot about pre-crisis Supergirl its got me thinking who would have been a good villain from the comics? I'm not aware of who her villains were or if there were any. Would a Superman villain have worked? One I can think of us Silver Banshee but isn't she a post crisis villain?

Anyway who do you think would have been a good villain back in 1984?

Bump

1-1.jpg

Silver Banshee was my first thought, but yeah she wasn't invented till 1987. She really never had much of her own rogue's gallery, usually her big nemeses were Kal's villains or some sort of female analogue.

Silver Banshee was my first thought, but yeah she wasn't invented till 1987. She really never had much of her own rogue's gallery, usually her big nemeses were Kal's villains or some sort of female analogue.

Yeah its a shame really, just think had she had a truly good villain in the film it could have really improved the film

Ha ha, yeah somebody hotter would have been nice

Considering the reluctance at the time to let even Superman rumble with his own Rogues' Gallery, I'd say there wouldn't have been many options at all open for Kara in 1984. The WB/Salkinds couldn't even give us proper (as in not half-&$$ed) versions of Bizarro or Brainiac for SIII, so I can't imagine we'd have gotten any actual comic-book villains to face Supergirl.

That said, I think they should have used the Omegahedron as a way of reworking one of Superman's existing Rogues that hadn't been used yet into the film. Personally, I'd have even tied the movie to SIII by having the Omegahedron end up landing at the wreckage left in Superman's battle with Webster's computer, and fusing some poor schmuck clearing up the debris to the remnants of Vera's bionic armor and the computer's Kryptonite emitter --- VOILA! Metallo!

I don't think the villain absolutely has to be from the comics. Honestly I can't think of anyone who could replace Selena, and I kinda liked the whole science and magic theme of the movie, that a person could use a power source from a technological world in order to become an all-powerful sorceress. We see that Kryptonian tech is nearly magic with that device that Kara uses to sculpt crystal objects out of thin air that can be animated with the power of the Omegahedron.

My question is: What happened to Selena at the end of the film? Supergirl flies around her and she gets sucked into the mirror. Did she end up in the Phantom Zone?

I have no idea what the logic was behind that bit, but a lot of the movie confuses me. Like why does Supergirl arrive on Earth flying out of a lake while the Omegahedron fell out of the sky? Or for that matter, why does she suddenly "morph" into Supergirl in mid-trip and how can she instantly transform into a brunette schoolgirl? If there was at least some indication that she found the clothes and wig somewhere before making the change, I could buy it as changing clothes at super speed, but as it is, it's like she has the power to just change her appearance at will.

I have no idea what the logic was behind that bit, but a lot of the movie confuses me. Like why does Supergirl arrive on Earth flying out of a lake while the Omegahedron fell out of the sky? Or for that matter, why does she suddenly "morph" into Supergirl in mid-trip and how can she instantly transform into a brunette schoolgirl? If there was at least some indication that she found the clothes and wig somewhere before making the change, I could buy it as changing clothes at super speed, but as it is, it's like she has the power to just change her appearance at will.

Well in answer to your questions:

1) why does Supergirl arrive on Earth flying out of a lake while the Omegahedron fell out of the sky?

Originally they said that Argo survived in inner space (can't remember if it dies say that in the film but this is what I read) and inner space was supposed to exist kid of like the phantom zone. But it was said that when you come out if inner space you come through droplets of water. Yep it's very dopey.

However as it exists in the film, I always took it her pod landed in the water and we just never see the scenes if her coming out of it. Of course this doesn't explain why at the end she's clearly flying back to Argo. Well maybe she doesn't need the pod and is flying safely back under the omegahedron's power.

They really could have fixed that scene with having her exiting and re-entering a pod by the films end.

2) why does she suddenly "morph" into Supergirl in mid-trip and how can she instantly transform into a brunette schoolgirl?

The Supergirl outfit is a mystery but I believe her transformation into Linda was originally explained as Superman was supposed to appear in the film. This would also explain how she knew Superman and better yet his alter who Clark Kent was her cousin.

I guess these are just dopey things in a dopey film.

It's supposed to be a fantasy film, not science fiction with long scenes of exposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"