Why do you like the Black Panther character?

The Batman said:
Because he's a respectable Black Superhero, and as a black guy myself, you have no idea how much that means to me. Like someone said, he wasnt some former criminal, or some angry guy, or some guy living in the poor ass projects. He's the king of his own country. He can own the likes of Iron Man and Captain America. He's a genius and a good fighter. And his cotume is awesome. He's the first and greatrest black superhero in comics, IMO.

Ditto to that man.:up:

GNR4Life said:
Comparing Hudlin and Priest's take on BP,during Priest's run,I've read a couple issues,T'Challa comes off as a real prick for some reason,like a badass.Hudlin tends to still give him that noble man of character and royalty feel but at the same time makes him like an average joe.

I agree with that, Hudlin's Panther is more Puffy to Priest's Panther who's more Mandela.

:up:

deemar325 said:
From what I've seen from this guy GA, he's most definately not black. In no way do I sense that from him, you can sense it. Anubis feels black, you feel black not Golden Age.

My 'Negro sense' was tingling.

ahh I've run across your type before, i dont feel black enough for ya, hunh? nice to know you guys just contradicted everything you were saying about BP not being the stereotypical black male. good job deemar!:up::rolleyes: now im gonna have to start acting ghetto to show my blackness.

btw, if the guy is gonna call me an uncle tom i think i had the right to reply yes'm boss (in a sarcastic manner of course).

deemar325 said:
I agree with that, Hudlin's Panther is more Puffy to Priest's Panther who's more Mandela.

:up:

No,no.Sure Hudlin is writing him more down to earth,but I wouldn't compare his character to Puffy.Hudlin himself took a crack at Puffy and other in BP #10.Hudlin still writes him like royalty,but not arrogant.By my average joe comment,I was meaning to say more down to earth.

i actually prefer Priest's take than Hudlin's

GoldenAgeHero said:
i also dont like the fact he's more technology advanced than tony stark, which makes no sense to me. why wont he help africa become a more independant nation, if he's so technologically advanced where's his company, where are the drugs that are suppose to help this aids epidemic(was this covered in preists run?). at least with stark he's doing something better with his tech, giving it to shield, finding better ways at implementing his technology. these are elements i want to see covered in a black panther book, i want more of a business man.

First off Africa is a continent not a nation. Second...what are Reed Richards, Stark, Banner or Pym doing to cure aids? Why isn't America a super paradise? Exactly! These are comic books...they aren't realistic. An super advanced african nation isn't okay within a super hero universe? You cannot be serious.

thor87 said:
Its not that africa could not seperate itself from the rest of the world and become more advanced, its just that africa has been held back for so long by natural and unnatural causes that its hard to believe that all of the sudden they would emerge as the forerunners in new world technologie.

Yeah...but a guy crawling on walls...that happens aaaaall the time:rolleyes:

I think the title has really suffered from so much criticism because it hasn't been given room to breathe.Right after the Year One arc,we get a House of M tie in and a horride X-Crossover.Sure there was the wildly entertaining Two The Hard Way 4 parter,but after that we get another "event" in the BP/Storm wedding.

They just let Hudlin get some of his own ideas into the book for a long period of time.

RockSP said:
First off Africa is a continent not a nation. Second...what are Reed Richards, Stark, Banner or Pym doing to cure aids? Why isn't America a super paradise? Exactly! These are comic books...they aren't realistic. An super advanced african nation isn't okay within a super hero universe? You cannot be serious.

I hear this sort of argument all the time in various discussions. It's a double edge sword.

Using this sort of logic you could just write ANYTHING. Hell have reed make a time traveling condom that runs off atomic sperm because you know it's a COMIC:D

PS Galactus isn't white for who ever actually said that:o

RockSP said:

i am indeed. i just dont by it, you dont ahve to agree with it. thats just me.

Guyverjay said:
I hear this sort of argument all the time in various discussions. It's a double edge sword.

Using this sort of logic you could just write ANYTHING. Hell have reed make a time traveling condom that runs off atomic sperm because you know it's a COMIC:D

Yeah...you pretty much CAN do anything...I doubt they'll do the whole condom thing though...since some would find it offensive. But if you are somehow offended by technologically advanced africans then you probably need help. (figurative "you"...not you in particular)

GoldenAgeHero said:
i am indeed. i just dont by it, you dont ahve to agree with it. thats just me.

I definitely don't agree. But you still didn't answer on the whole Reed-Stark-Ameican-paradise-thingy.

RockSP said:
First off Africa is a continent not a nation. Second...what are Reed Richards, Stark, Banner or Pym doing to cure aids? Why isn't America a super paradise? Exactly! These are comic books...they aren't realistic.
This is the argument I always hear about "Minority heroes" why ain't they curing all the ills of those around them? You very rarely see hear the whites one be even "expected" to do something about world hunger, major illness or economic squalor, but the Panther is unrealistic because he doesn't do it to the satisfaction of readers who admit they "don't get him" or can't get into him?"
TSK.
It's that blind thing that I was warned about growing up,... where since "they" can't concieve of it,.. "they" can't accept it. If "they" come across it, "they" remain in loud denial while trying to prove why it's just not possible under any circumstance,.. including FANTASY.
RockSP said:
An super advanced african nation isn't okay within a super hero universe? You cannot be serious.

This is why I wrote what I did when I first stepped into this thread, and until it changes this will be the reaction always given by those stuck on stupid.

We dont like him,Marvel`s just forcing him into the spotlight by putting him with Storm.

RockSP said:
Yeah...you pretty much CAN do anything...I doubt they'll do the whole condom thing though...since some would find it offensive. But if you are somehow offended by technologically advanced africans then you probably need help. (figurative "you"...not you in particular)
Not so much that they were offended as just can't accept it under any circumstance.
Yet they expect "us" to accept their fantasy as both possible and enjoyable.

I was an Edagar Rice Burroughs fan Until I noticed a few trends that started to irritate the part of me that felt that "It just wasn't possible"

A white baby raised by apes that could do better than Africans raised for centuries on the same continent?

A white man transported to Mars / Venus / center of the Earth, (your choice) able to preservere over martian Super Science or Venusian Barbarian Hordes, or organized Ancient civilizations?

please.

This is why this thread should be so eye-opening to more than a few. It's okay to dream great things about WHITE PEOPLE,.. it's acceptable.

But it's just not "believable" for blacks under ANY circumstance.

Tsk and Tsk.

RockSP said:
I definitely don't agree. But you still didn't answer on the whole Reed-Stark-Ameican-paradise-thingy.

Open Laughter.
Don't hold your breath.

GoldenAgeHero said:
ahh I've run across your type before, i dont feel black enough for ya, hunh? nice to know you guys just contradicted everything you were saying about BP not being the stereotypical black male. good job deemar!:up::rolleyes: now im gonna have to start acting ghetto to show my blackness.

btw, if the guy is gonna call me an uncle tom i think i had the right to reply yes'm boss (in a sarcastic manner of course).

Heh, not at all. I just think you not black plain and simple.

Jourmugand said:
We dont like him,Marvel`s just forcing him into the spotlight by putting him with Storm.

Wow...as much as i hate the BP/Storm pairing, BP has been a fan favorite long before this wedding crap started.

Guyverjay said:

PS Galactus isn't white for who ever actually said that:o

Galactus is drawn as a white guy if he was drawn with dark brown skin, thick lips you'd quickly say he's black and find a reason why it's stupid why an near omnipotent being is drawn black.

Same with Superman and Captain Mar-vell.

Most fanboys wouldn't bat an eye if the next Alien hero so happen to look white, but if said character so happen the look like Wesley Snipes in a blue and red costume with powers beyond mortal men. They would call foul and not except him as black hell or asian maybe latino (if they pale skinned enough)

The Batman said:
Wow...as much as i hate the BP/Storm pairing, BP has been a fan favorite long before this wedding crap started.

Definitely.Who's to speak for all of us and way we don't like him?Oh it's Jormugand,nevermind.

I'm thinking of just purchasing the final issue of the wedding arc if I decide to pick up Iron Man monthly.

deemar325 said:
Galactus is drawn as a white guy if he was drawn with dark brown skin, thick lips you'd quickly say he's black and find a reason why it's stupid why an near omnipotent being is drawn black.

Same with Superman and Captain Mar-vell.

Most fanboys wouldn't bat an eye if the next Alien hero so happen to look white, but if said character so happen the look like Wesley Snipes in a blue and red costume with powers beyond mortal men. They would call foul and not except him as black hell or asian maybe latino (if they pale skinned enough)

LOL

I don't see it as anissue personally, stop generalising.

Its just as ludricous for him to be black as it for him to be white, so I don't think about it. Galactus' color is unimportant.

But as I have already stated Galactus is not white. Everyone see's him differently because mortal minds cannot comprehend him. A black man would more than likey see the big G as a black guy

Ps never heard of the Black racer?

Guyverjay said:
LOL

I don't see it as anissue personally, stop generalising.

Its just as ludricous for him to be black as it for him to be white, so I don't think about it. Galactus' color is unimportant.

But as I have already stated Galactus is not white. Everyone see's him differently because mortal minds cannot comprehend him. A black man would more than likey see the big G as a black guy

Ps never heard of the Black racer?

LOL! got me! I would say brothas don't ski, but we had that cat in the Olympics.

Varient said:
Not so much that they were offended as just can't accept it under any circumstance.
Yet they expect "us" to accept their fantasy as both possible and enjoyable.

I was an Edagar Rice Burroughs fan Until I noticed a few trends that started to irritate the part of me that felt that "It just wasn't possible"

A white baby raised by apes that could do better than Africans raised for centuries on the same continent?

A white man transported to Mars / Venus / center of the Earth, (your choice) able to preservere over martian Super Science or Venusian Barbarian Hordes, or organized Ancient civilizations?

please.

This is why this thread should be so eye-opening to more than a few. It's okay to dream great things about WHITE PEOPLE,.. it's acceptable.

But it's just not "believable" for blacks under ANY circumstance.

Tsk and Tsk.

In those cases I dont think it was about white people specifically accomplishing these things. Thats not what those stories were about. It was about a person accomplishing those things. That white baby didnt do better than the native africans cause he was white it was cause he was raised by apes. thats what the story was about.

The fact that these characters were white was because the writer was white and it's easier to visualize a character that way. I'm a writer myself and I find it far more difficult to write black or asian or female characters than I do white male characters. This is because i'm a white male (should i apologise?) and i'm more familiar with the life of a white male than i am of the lives of other kinds of people.

It's not like the writer consciously decides "well this character would be better if he was white cause a black guy raised by apes isnt believable" or "a white guy would be better" it's just that you write what you know.

Jourmugand said:

Who is "we"? What is the audience you believe you speak for? There are those who like the Black Panther character but still don't like the idea of him marrying Storm. The Panther has been around since 1966 and has a large following of readers. He doesn't need a marriage to Storm to make him popular. As for X-men fans, it does't mean a rat's f..t who Storm marries. It doesn't mean she still can't be affiliated with the x-men.

deemar325 said:
Heh, not at all. I just think you not black plain and simple.

Actually, I've heard him mention his blackness before in several threads before this one. So I believe him, personally.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Varient here. As a black guy myself, I really respect what BP brings to the table, and while I don't think Hudlin's orgin did a very good job, and doesn't even compare to Priest's run, its been decent outside that arc.

Vanguard07 said:
In those cases I dont think it was about white people specifically accomplishing these things. Thats not what those stories were about. It was about a person accomplishing those things. That white baby didnt do better than the native africans cause he was white it was cause he was raised by apes. thats what the story was about.

The fact that these characters were white was because the writer was white and it's easier to visualize a character that way. I'm a writer myself and I find it far more difficult to write black or asian or female characters than I do white male characters. This is because i'm a white male (should i apologise?) and i'm more familiar with the life of a white male than i am of the lives of other kinds of people.

It's not like the writer consciously decides "well this character would be better if he was white cause a black guy raised by apes isnt believable" or "a white guy would be better" it's just that you write what you know.

Well, I'm sure for Hudlin its easier to visualize a black man (BP) doing all those things, and his book gets attacked for being unplausiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"