Why Marvel won't give Namor a movie

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.looper.com/30560/marvel-wont-give-namor-movie/

Namor the Sub-Mariner is a pretty cool comic book character. He has a wealth of exotic powers, has punched Nazis alongside Captain America, and flat-out tells Invisible Woman all the things adolescent Fantastic Four fans are thinking. For these and many other reasons, readers have clamored for a Namor movie for years—but there's an array of villains stopping its production, and it'll take more than an angry mutant in a speedo to stop them. Here are some of the biggest reasons Marvel will never give our favorite Atlantean his own movie.

• Too many worlds

Question of rights

Impossible backstory

Worst Kryptonite ever

The mutant problem

The terrorism thing

His accent is a bit Thor

Similarity to Aquaman

The longevity problem

He makes for a better partner, and even better villain

I think the number one problem is rights

Wanna see Ms. Marvel or Nova first then Namor, sorry.

The number 2 problem is cost. The bill for Aquaman is going to be quite high for a character without much positive name recognition. If Namor surfaces (Get it?) in Phase 4 it will be as an antagonist.

Name recognition is a non factor when it comes to Marvel Studios. However, I'd like to see him as an antihero/antagonist. Would love to see an Atlantis/Wakanda feud play out.

Some of those things aren't a problem (ex. just ignore that he's a mutant in the comics). But I definitely agree with the last one. I think he's far more interesting as a secondary character or villain than a heroic lead.

A lot of the issues are definitely solo movie issues.

Rights issues: Marvel doesn't have the distribution rights, although they do have the production rights.
Namor as a Protagonist: Obviously, this is less of a problem if he appears in another movie.

I do think the similarity to Aquaman is a problem. It's unfortunate because they were originally different characters. But Aquaman has been slowly ripping off Namor for years to try and be cooler. At this point, Namor will look like he's ripping off Aquaman.

I also think there's a bit of a problem with villains. Even in a team movie, Namor shouldn't be the main villain. But I also really don't want it to just be some Atlantean General. Rather, there's got to be some third threat they have to team up for. The most obvious choice are the Lemurians. But is the audience really ready to bring in Eternals and Deviants? Maybe they are, but, if they were, I would think Marvel wouldn't have already used Lemurians as an Easter Egg as the name of a ship.

Namor really needs to be here as there isn't a threat/ally in the MCU that's like him. He can be brash and violent and confrontational like Hulk, Thor, etc. but those two guys are pretty much always doing it for the right reasons. Whereas he's like that dude in school that's an *******, but can eventually be brought around to your way of thinking. He won't change, but he'll be less of a threat.

So if he's in a Hulk situation, why haven't they used him already since they have the rights to him now? I mean, they say they have a villain problem but aren't using someone with built in awesomeness as a villain.

All valid points. Personally, I hope Namor shows up soon. The earliest I see him showing up is the Black Panther sequel though. Unless they somehow get the F4 rights soon and he shows up in that.

Save him until after Marvel Studios has the F4 back home. Namor can be the main antagonist. Just hint at a future love triangle between Namor, Sue and Reed. F4 saves the day, sends his ass packin' back to Atlantis. Epic F4 film puts them back on the map. Then Namor: The Sub-Mariner, now a pissed off anti-hero angle. Build up the confrontation with Wakanda. Two franchises started off one movie.

I also think there's a bit of a problem with villains. Even in a team movie, Namor shouldn't be the main villain. But I also really don't want it to just be some Atlantean General. Rather, there's got to be some third threat they have to team up for. The most obvious choice are the Lemurians. But is the audience really ready to bring in Eternals and Deviants? Maybe they are, but, if they were, I would think Marvel wouldn't have already used Lemurians as an Easter Egg as the name of a ship.

I could easily see them do an Avengers movie where atlanteans led by Namor attack and Namor is set up as the villain, only for him to eventually help them overcome the true villain, Attuma.

Like a previous poster stated, Marvel can use him in any of their films but they do not hold the distribution rights for a Namor solo movie. This is the same issue that has prevented Marvel making another Hulk movie after Disney started doing their own film distribution. I too hope we see him in the MCU eventually and agree that starting him off as a protagonist for another movie makes alot of sense.

I could easily see them do an Avengers movie where atlanteans led by Namor attack and Namor is set up as the villain, only for him to eventually help them overcome the true villain, Attuma.

I just don't really find the Atlanteans as the villains is interesting enough. I understand that's the idea, I just don't like it.

Just use a different villain from the comics. Civil War is the standard: two heroes battle it out, villain stays background the whole way.

Right, what villain?

I suggested the Lemurians and Ghaur. I'm trying to decide if that's too obscure, but I think it could add to the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"