Why Marvel won't give Hawkeye a movie

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.looper.com/31409/marvel-wont-give-hawkeye-movie/

Clint Barton started out as a supervillain in 1964, then quickly switched sides and teamed up with the Avengers in 1965—and Hawkeye's been a key player in the Marvel Comics universe ever since. He's also been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) since Phase 1, when he had a brief cameo in Thor. He had a bigger role in The Avengers, a much larger role in Avengers: Age of Ultron, then a solid supporting part in Captain America: Civil War. During that time, a whole bunch of heroes have gotten their own movies (or a few sequels to their standalone franchises).

The studio also had the foresight to cast Jeremy Renner, an up-and-comer at the time, in the role of Hawkeye. Renner's stock has only increased in the years since he signed his first Marvel contract all those years ago, and he's already proven he can anchor a big action movie with 2012's The Bourne Legacy. So what's the the problem?

• Jeremy Renner's been tentative about playing Clint Barton

The most acclaimed Hawkeye story wouldn't even work as a movie…

…But it'd make an awesome Netflix series

They haven't introduced a compelling solo angle in the MCU

A lot of his best comic stories wouldn't really work in the MCU

There are just so many other movies to make first

His power set doesn't really translate well to a film

His rogues gallery isn't well suited for the big screen

In the MCU, he works best with Black Widow

Looking to the comics, he's almost always been better on a team

The other Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, isn't well-known enough for her own movie

Hawkeyes extensive role in avengers 2 was clearly its weakest link. Don't want a 2.5 hour Movie about that. He works well as a side character, let's keep it that way.

Pretty much. I'm one of the people who doesn't mind him having a wife (I DESPISE shipping wank) but the take they chose to go with pretty much makes it impossible to move forward with him as a protagonist unless it's a prequel set during his younger days.

I'll also agree that we need to get Kate Bishop in the MCU at some point.

Most of those sound more like excuses than anything else. And don't you love when people say "This would never work as/in a movie! I mean, nobody's ever tried it before, but I just know it!" Safest bet ever.

Not saying that I believe a Hawkeye solo movie will ever happen, but to say that the character or his stories aren't suited for the big screen is straight-up BS.

Hawkeyes extensive role in avengers 2 was clearly its weakest link.

No way. At least they built Clint's character more. The Bruce/Natasha subplot and Thor's whole appearance basically being a Ragnarok/Infinity War setup were much worse.

I like Clint, and I agree that a Netflix special or series might work better, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire movie about him. I wouldn't mind him playing a big part in a Black Widow movie, but solo I'm just not sure on how that would work.

Bourne Legacy was a pos and MCU Hawkeye just isn't interesting enough to have his own movie. Everything about such a possibility screams waste.

MCU Hawkeye is indeed quite lame :-)csad:), but what the article posted by the OP is trying to argue is that Hawkeye in general is not a character that would work on the big screen. Which is, as I already said, utter tripe.

There's no such thing as a character that "wouldn't work on the big screen". What is hard to find is talented people who can make him/her work.

Personally, I wish they had moved to Hawkeye to Agents of SHIELD to be looking into The Clairvoyant mystery, and then kept him on as Mockingbird's love interest (so, his personality would be closer to Hunter's).

Another, completely different, take would be to kind of turn him into the American Sniper of the MCU. Have him come home from Avengers with PTSD...trying to adjust to life after the "incident." You don't even have to make it a typical action film...have it be a drama that happens to take place in the MCU. You could even give him a personality trait where he knew that he didn't "belong" in a team with a god and a super soldier...so maybe he has a drive to be better than the rest...like a soldier who can't let it go...which could lead to him making reckless decisions by second guessing authority...or even forming his own team to lead.

But as it stands now...Hawkeye, Loving Husband And Father...is kind of pointless and just begging to die in Avengers 3: Rise of the MacGuffins.

But as it stands now...Hawkeye, Loving Husband And Father...is kind of pointless and just begging to die in Avengers 3: Rise of the MacGuffins.

LOL!

If they won't give Widow (or Hulk) a movie, they certainly won't give Hawkeye one. I did not like his so-called arc in AoU.

But maybe a West Coast Avengers movie eventually...?

I really thought being that the title was " Civil War" that someone would actually die in the " war". I guess it was a civil sparring match??
I think they should have offed hawkeye. He's boring yet would finally give the movies some stakes. I would have offed him, scarlet witch, falcon, and war machine. I think all 4 of them wouldn't be missed with so many other characters.

Hawkeye can most definitely work. It's Jeremy Renner + Marvel. Stop the madness

Just NOT YET!
Jeremy is a famous actor with many blockbuster movies. He will definitely has his own movie as Hawkeye. Soon!

Probably there not being enough demand for one (if there is, I am not aware of it).

Cause you can't make good enough Hawkeye movie.

The reason its not getting made is because the studio probably doesn't have enough interest in having Hawkeye take the release date of a title it already believes has more potential to make more $$$ or covers new ground.

Jeremy Renner is a good actor. The part is just very boring.

Jeremy Renner is a good actor. The part is just very boring.

IMO, either the studios have made his Hawkeye character so bland, boring and disinteresting or Renner isn't really for that part. Did they think if they made Hawkeye's jokeable character, it would interfere and conflict with Robert Downey's Tony Stark's character ? Well, they weren't afraid to input Spidey or Ant Man humor to the mix in Civil War.

they actually gave it some airwave attention in Age of Ultron and it completely flop. in fact, since Avengers and Civil War, I haven't heard any rave reviews for Hawkeye from the viewing audience since these Avengers movies have been out. it's like he's a JAG (just another body) out there and has to be in it physically for the sake of him being an active and current avenger. There's nothing charismatic and stand out about his character.

I would say let Hawkeye have his TV or streaming series to stand him out better but I feel there is already a bow-arrow swaggering hero on the scene already in ' WB's " Arrow" so it may seem like a copycat version.

If Whedon hadn't used Ult!Clint's backstory and family, then there'd be potential for a Hawkeye film.

I really thought being that the title was " Civil War" that someone would actually die in the " war". I guess it was a civil sparring match??
I think they should have offed hawkeye. He's boring yet would finally give the movies some stakes. I would have offed him, scarlet witch, falcon, and war machine. I think all 4 of them wouldn't be missed with so many other characters.

There you have the disparity between comics and movies. Every character that the movies bring into being is a monetary investment, so they're not going to kill anyone who might have even value within an ensemble, like Hawkeye in AVENGERS,

Marvel, having a huge complement of characters to waste (in more than one sense), had no compunctions about killing the Bill Foster Giant-Man. I've no idea if he's still sincerely dead, though, but even if he is, it's easy enough for comics-writers to bring him back.

Hahaha someone thinks Marvel would ever want to invite the storm of excrement that'd rain down on them for killing off those three.

They're not going to give Renner his own movie when none of the directors have bothered to tell him he holds a bow like an amateur.

Besides the obvious reasons everyone has mentioned above, Renner's not getting any younger. He's going to shift away from doing a recurring role to do the whole "expanding horizons" bit every actor/actress goes on about when they don't replay a character for an umpteenth time.

I'm doubtful even a TV show could work all that well at this point if it's supposedly connected to the MCU.

They're not going to give Renner his own movie when none of the directors have bothered to tell him he holds a bow like an amateur.

I actually remember some Avengers interviews where he was talking about how unrealistic Hawkeye's bowmanship technique is, and I got the vibe he felt like he was the only one who cared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"