Why wasn't Grant Gustin chosen to be in Justic League?

And here we go again with the silly notion that all studios care about is critical reception; they just ignore the billions they've made off these 5 movies.
Considering how much better Wonder Woman is doing in terms of legs, along with the reassurances they have made to the share holders in the past that they were going to start making better movies, yeah, they care. Because the critical reception is reflecting the audience reception.

This is a bit like Vince McMahon figuring out ways to leave hundreds of millions on the table with bad decision making.

Because Warner Bros. wasn't interested in combining their film DC world with their DC TV world. They wanted to keep their TV universe and their film universes separate. That simple.

Also, let's not forget, WB had no interest in doing a shared film universe for DC characters until 2012 either.

Just because a lot of fans on the internet are crazy about Grant Gustin also doesn't mean that would make a Flash movie starring Gustin a hit either.

Given that along with Melissa Benoist, who is the definition of perfection as Supergirl, Grant is excellent as the Flash/Barry Allen, so why wouldn't he have been selected for the upcoming film?

Could it have been a scheduling conflict?

As someone who collected EVERY Flash comic and read them when they were released from 1972 through the late 1980s, I think I've got a good handle on the character, and its surprising that WB did not select Grant.

Three main reasons, and it sure isn't a scheduling conflict.

1) Your Givens Aren't Given

For many people, who are just as huge fans of these characters, these are not the best interpretations of these characters. For me, a huge Superman fan, I appreciate Benoist's Supergirl because she is, essentially, Superman with a skirt, doing Superman storylines as an adult, even taking on Superman villains as though they are hers. And while she does really good as that, that's not something that fits with Superman without one or both being redundant, but I'll come back to that.

Gustin's Flash has his moments, but he also has weaknesses, ones that I would not want to experience again if I didn't have to. He is not always the best actor, and the characterization of his character is often very mopey and unintelligent, and I don't blame the movie division for deciding that they did not what a mopey Flash with a history of making horrible decisions.

2) CW Characters mean CW Continuity

The CW DCU Continuity is extensive, as they've touched on pretty much everything other than Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. As such, if you bring, say, Grant Gustin into the DCEU, that means that Amell is your Arrow. That means that Ben Affleck's Batman lives in a world where Damian Darkh shot off all the nukes in the world and they were removed. That means there are a hundred different ways to break continuity now.

That also means if you want to do Deathstroke in the DCEU, tha means that you have to bring back Manu Bennet and his origin is all about his obsession with Oliver Queen and his super solider serum made him crazy and see his dead girlfriend, and he's without it, lat time I checked. The DCEU can't do Teen Titans, since a few of the core Titans members are already in their mid twenties. Batman can't deal with Ra's Al Ghul, and on and on with a thousand decisions made by the CW crew, sometimes out of lack of budget or lack of time to tell a decent story, sometimes because they were made with no interest in making sure that DCEU had all options open to them, on top of having to justify extant continuity issues like the two Deadshots, and a Superman who is inspiring and hopeful and has been active for 12+ years with a moodier newer Superman all while explaining why a Supergirl who is just as able to help as Superman isn't on the Justice League along with Flash.

3) The scheduling actually is difficult on top of all that

Justice League filmed from April to October 2016, and while the first few months are the off season for 23 ep a year shows like Supergirl and Flash, they go back to filming in August, I think, which means you'd need to do almost half a season without a hint of your main star, maybe more than that if you think about the reshoots that are going on.

Making a whole universe requires planning, and CW's DCU is simply not well planned, despite how charming Melissa Benoist can be, or how earnest Grant Gustin can seem at times.

That's well said Dr Cosmic

As someone who doesn't watch the CWverse or care to, I'd hate to have future DCEU movies get tangled in its storylines and world. I'm sure most moviegoers feel the same way, which is why Marvel has smartly made their TV shows semi-reliant on the movies, but not the other way around.

As someone who doesn't watch the CWverse or care to, I'd hate to have future DCEU movies get tangled in its storylines and world. I'm sure most moviegoers feel the same way, which is why Marvel has smartly made their TV shows semi-reliant on the movies, but not the other way around.

That's one of the reasons I don't care about stuff like Agents of Shield though. It's like MCU light and as for the overrated Netflix stuff the only thing I give a damn about is Daredevil. I think DC CW shows are better personally, one main reason been that it's not beholden to the movie universe so they don't feel like they're limited in what they do.

I can't speak for Agents Of Shield, but I've loved Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage (haven't seen Iron Fist, gonna have to force myself through it sooner than later for Defenders). Most of their references to the larger MCU are incidental so I feel they succeed in creating their own fun shared universe that I enjoy primarily on its own merits. If the MCU didn't exist, I'd still watch and love these shows.

That's spot on mate :up:

Cheers ! BTW Henry Cavill is down here at the moment filming MI6 near Queenstown. While that's about 1000km from where I'm at, but it's still a small country. If I see him around, I'll tell him you said Hi !

Personally, I think he only took the MI6 job so he could be down here for the Lions tour - being a massive rugby fan.

I saw the title of the thread and thought it was somebody's idea of a joke so I was surprised when I saw it was into a second page!

Anyway, most of the ground on this topic has been more than covered by the posters above me.

I will point out that Melissa Benoist is a movie star just waiting to happen- she has been great in everything I've seen her in and mostly acts circles around her co-stars on the series even when scripts aren't really up to the mark. But, as @DrCosmic pointed out the concept of the character in the series itself isn't necessarily what I want from the character if she's ever introduced in the film universe.

Grant Gustin while decent and doing tremendously in the series, Ezra Miller is a MUCH more accomplished actor and I'm very excited to see his take.

One problem they do have is the fact that the series covered so much of the Flash mythology in a comic accurate manner, the film has a problem of not having any new ground to break except a proper Flashpoint story, which would be too early at this point.

I saw the title of the thread and thought it was somebody's idea of a joke so I was surprised when I saw it was into a second page!

Anyway, most of the ground on this topic has been more than covered by the posters above me.

I will point out that Melissa Benoist is a movie star just waiting to happen- she has been great in everything I've seen her in and mostly acts circles around her co-stars on the series even when scripts aren't really up to the mark. But, as @DrCosmic pointed out the concept of the character in the series itself isn't necessarily what I want from the character if she's ever introduced in the film universe.

Grant Gustin while decent and doing tremendously in the series, Ezra Miller is a MUCH more accomplished actor and I'm very excited to see his take.

It's true. Grant Gustin has had little acting experience. He has only been in one poorly rated theatrical movie, and that was just a supporting role. He hasn't even done that much television.

While Ezra Miller has been in nine movies, not counting the DCEU cameos.

And Gal Gadot has been in nine movies too, not counting DCEU films

Even Melissa Benoist has a bigger resume, having been in seven theatrical released movies. So it's easy to see why she is a better actor. More experience.

So I could see where a movie studio would be reluctant to hire someone who had only been the lead in one TV series, I think for only one season at that time, two at most, for a lead role in a major motion picture.

One problem they do have is the fact that the series covered so much of the Flash mythology in a comic accurate manner, the film has a problem of not having any new ground to break except a proper Flashpoint story, which would be too early at this point.

The Flash series covering so much ground is not a problem. Smallville was pretty much a Justice league show by the time it ended and that won't stop DC films doing similar story lines.

The Flash and Supergirl can go on for 20 more seasons, that will not stop WB from using these characters on the big screen and doing their thing with the same stories. Plus it will be on the big screen, so thats an instant upgrade.

CW's The Flash is a pretty awful, cheesy TV show. Why would the DCEU want to be associated with it?

I hope you're trolling. The Flash might be the best super hero show ever. It's not flawless, but it's incredibly innovative.

Because he's not Ezra Miller.

It wouldn't surprise me if Grant becomes the preferred Flash among fans after they see Ezra's version. From what I've seen of Miller's other work, Grant just seems like a better fit for the character. That doesn't mean that Miller can't make his mark as well, but he's in a situation like Affleck was in last year. The bar has been set high, so don't expect him to leap over it.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if Grant becomes the preferred Flash among fans after they see Ezra's version. From what I've seen of Miller's other work, Grant just seems like a better fit for the character. That doesn't mean that Miller can't make his mark as well, but he's in a situation like Affleck was in last year. The bar has been set high, so don't expect him to leap over it.

Just going by what I have seen in the Justice League trailers Ezra's version of the Flash seems to be younger and more fun loving though. Not all filled with angst and dread like the TV version.
Which seems to fit Geoff Johns vision that the new DCEU will have more hope and optimism. Not saying that Grant Gustin couldn't play a happier, more cheerful Flash. It's probably they want to
start fresh and not have the legacy of the TV show weighing them down.

The Flash series covering so much ground is not a problem. Smallville was pretty much a Justice league show by the time it ended and that won't stop DC films doing similar story lines.

The Flash and Supergirl can go on for 20 more seasons, that will not stop WB from using these characters on the big screen and doing their thing with the same stories. Plus it will be on the big screen, so thats an instant upgrade.

I am a BIG Smallville fan but comparing it's approach to the comic mythology to Flash's would be a mistake. They are not even in the same room.

For being a comic book based show it never really embraced it's origins fully and had a very stripped down take on the mythology it tried to cover. So, Braniac was a professor. Doomsday was, I dunno, a random bloke who mutated in the series finale. You can see how much room there is to do the same stories but be more comic accurate since the takes on TV weren't actually so.

The Berlanti Universe on the other hand fully embraces the comic mythology and fully follows through with most of its storylines.

As far as just being cinematic is concerned, I am of the view that only that isn't enough for large scale audiences to be invested in the movie if they've seen the exact story covered on TV with some competence.

I hope you're trolling. The Flash might be the best super hero show ever. It's not flawless, but it's incredible innovative.

The bar is not that high. Miller is the better actor and will make the role his own. His Flash will be seen by a much wider audience.

I bet Adrianne Palicki fans would have said the bar is too high for Gadot if that Wonder Woman show got picked up and was still on the air:o

I am a BIG Smallville fan but comparing it's approach to the comic mythology to Flash's would be a mistake. They are not even in the same room.

For being a comic book based show it never really embraced it's origins fully and had a very stripped down take on the mythology it tried to cover. So, Braniac was a professor. Doomsday was, I dunno, a random bloke who mutated in the series finale. You can see how much room there is to do the same stories but be more comic accurate since the takes on TV weren't actually so.

The Berlanti Universe on the other hand fully embraces the comic mythology and fully follows through with most of its storylines.

As far as just being cinematic is concerned, I am of the view that only that isn't enough for large scale audiences to be invested in the movie if they've seen the exact story covered on TV with some competence.

Yeah but not every one would have seen the exact story covered on TV. The DCEU won't run away from Flashpoint because tv Flash already did it lol.

I think we should just appreciate that we live in a time when we get the characters we love in both Television and Movies. What a time to be a fan!

Yeah but not every one would have seen the exact story covered on TV. The DCEU won't run away from Flashpoint because tv Flash already did it lol.

I did point out in my OP that Flashpoint is one story that they definitely can do since the TV series didn't do it justice, excuse the pun.

Gustin isn't a bad actor by any stretch, but he's not so good that he'll divide the fan base. Same applies to the show, honestly. Season one wasn't that good, and from what I've heard, the series has declined since then.

Three main reasons, and it sure isn't a scheduling conflict.

1) Your Givens Aren't Given

For many people, who are just as huge fans of these characters, these are not the best interpretations of these characters. For me, a huge Superman fan, I appreciate Benoist's Supergirl because she is, essentially, Superman with a skirt, doing Superman storylines as an adult, even taking on Superman villains as though they are hers. And while she does really good as that, that's not something that fits with Superman without one or both being redundant, but I'll come back to that.

Gustin's Flash has his moments, but he also has weaknesses, ones that I would not want to experience again if I didn't have to. He is not always the best actor, and the characterization of his character is often very mopey and unintelligent, and I don't blame the movie division for deciding that they did not what a mopey Flash with a history of making horrible decisions.

2) CW Characters mean CW Continuity

The CW DCU Continuity is extensive, as they've touched on pretty much everything other than Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. As such, if you bring, say, Grant Gustin into the DCEU, that means that Amell is your Arrow. That means that Ben Affleck's Batman lives in a world where Damian Darkh shot off all the nukes in the world and they were removed. That means there are a hundred different ways to break continuity now.

That also means if you want to do Deathstroke in the DCEU, tha means that you have to bring back Manu Bennet and his origin is all about his obsession with Oliver Queen and his super solider serum made him crazy and see his dead girlfriend, and he's without it, lat time I checked. The DCEU can't do Teen Titans, since a few of the core Titans members are already in their mid twenties. Batman can't deal with Ra's Al Ghul, and on and on with a thousand decisions made by the CW crew, sometimes out of lack of budget or lack of time to tell a decent story, sometimes because they were made with no interest in making sure that DCEU had all options open to them, on top of having to justify extant continuity issues like the two Deadshots, and a Superman who is inspiring and hopeful and has been active for 12+ years with a moodier newer Superman all while explaining why a Supergirl who is just as able to help as Superman isn't on the Justice League along with Flash.

3) The scheduling actually is difficult on top of all that

Justice League filmed from April to October 2016, and while the first few months are the off season for 23 ep a year shows like Supergirl and Flash, they go back to filming in August, I think, which means you'd need to do almost half a season without a hint of your main star, maybe more than that if you think about the reshoots that are going on.

Making a whole universe requires planning, and CW's DCU is simply not well planned, despite how charming Melissa Benoist can be, or how earnest Grant Gustin can seem at times.

In a nutshell :up:

Remind me again what the critical reception of the DCEU has looked like, barring the runaway success of Wonder Woman?

Terribad. But WW indicates that WB is trying to move in an upward direction. There would be no need to chain themselves to a mediocre TV franchise, even if all the variables Dr. Cosmic mentioned didn't exist.

I hope you're trolling. The Flash might be the best super hero show ever. It's not flawless, but it's incredible innovative.

I'm not trolling, and if you read the individual episode threads you'll see a lot of other disgruntled fans. I don't see what's so innovative about it, either.

Gustin isn't a bad actor by any stretch, but he's not so good that he'll divide the fan base. Same applies to the show, honestly. Season one wasn't that good, and from what I've heard, the series has declined since then.

Completely disagree, Flash Season One for me was Comic Book television at its best. But each to their own.

I thought it was mediocre at best. Bad acting, uninspired villains, inconsistent portrayals of Barry's speed, cringeworthy dialogue and romantic drama...nah. Adaptations can do far better than Flash. And they have.

Last edited:
Reverse Flash was legit frightening though, even more than a lot of big screen supervillains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"