DCEU's Rebirth

BobJM

Uncle Charlie
Reaction score
How to reboot DCEU

img-intro-del-dc-extended-universe-es-hermoso-216-2af1.jpg

A rebirth, if you will...

Wonder Woman 1984 is released in theaters in August. This is the swan song for Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins, and this iteration of Wonder Woman.

Jump to 2021 & beyond.

Continue forward with Matt Reeves’ The Batman, James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad, Andy Muschietti’s Flash, James Wan's Aquaman II, Ava DuVernay’s New Gods, and Black Adam & the Shazam! sequel. All will exist within the new DCEU going forward, so continuity should be considered & maintained across these projects (which is why it was good foresight to not showcase Henry Cavill as Superman in the end Shazam! scene).

Black Adam will establish the Golden Age of this new DCEU timeline, highlighted in Black Adam’s battles against the JSA. The rest will be (for the most part) present-day.

Don’t pressure the creative team on Flash to kick off with a ‘Flashpoint’ adaptation just to correct the mistakes of the past. Instead, just simply move forward. Recast Ezra Miller and the supporting characters, and use a solo film to introduce audiences to Barry Allen’s origin & adventures in Central City.

Apply that same forward momentum to James Wan's Aquaman sequel. Maintain the same cast (except for a recast for Amber Heard's Mera), but do not reference Snyder films. Take away the throwaway line about Steppenwolf, and the first film has already taken this approach.

As the new Batman franchise finds success, I suspect (and want!) a Superman relaunch to follow shortly with no less than a trilogy of films that introduce characters like Steel and Supergirl who themselves could carry successful spin-off feature films.

Capitalize on the new partnership between WB and J.J. Abrams (for HBO Max’s upcoming Justice League Dark) to release the long-gestating Green Lantern Corps with Abrams directing and Tom Cruise attached to star as veteran Hal Jordan (with the Mission: Impossible wrapping with 6 & 7 in 2022, Cruise may want to jump on a new franchise). Justice League Dark should not connect to Arrowverse/Matt Ryan’s Constantine, but instead be cast with future feature film appearances in mind.

As for Harley Quinn & Suicide Squad, James Gunn has already commented that you won’t need to have seen the first film to see his sequel/reboot. And that was the case for Birds of Prey (hence the omission of Jared Leto). Now, I understand some were not fans of liberties taken with characters like Huntress and Black Canary, but I did enjoy the film and want these characters to be included in the new DCEU. If need be, to secure the heavier R-rating (if that’s still the game plan after the BOP box office disappointment) these movies can stay separate as its own little Harley-verse but should still remain connected nonetheless. This way, the door’s open for Margot Robbie to show up in future crossover event films and, in turn, Zoe Kravitz can appear as Catwoman in a Gotham City Sirens movie.

When going about introducing a new Wonder Woman solo feature, adapt Greg Rucka’s Rebirth storyline, “The Lies.” The story centers on Wonder Woman discovering the mysteries of her past when the lasso of truth no longer works. Modern audiences are familiar, and accepting, of reboots nowadays—especially with comic book characters and franchises. Look no further than DC’s own Batman. And this pitch would be an in-story meta explanation of the change (think of the recurring fan theories that ‘James Bond 007’ is a designation not a name). Now, if WW84 breaks a billion dollars then instead of recasting Diana and the other roles, keep them in & omit any reference to Snyder-influenced films from the past —don’t fix it if it ain’t broke! But move ahead without resurrecting Steve Trevor again, and keep Wonder Woman in the present day. A new cast of characters & a modern setting will go a long way to distinguish from previous film outings.

Then, when it makes sense, crescendo to a Justice League crossover event film that pits the League against the Legion of Doom and adapts “Crisis on Infinite Earths.” Not only will this be great for fans but the in-plot reference to multiple world now justify the existence of Joker, past Superman and Batman films, and potential new franchises/HBO Max shows. Don’t treat this as the League’s origin, but trust that audiences are familiar with the concept—even from Super Friends, if need be!

If he’s not too busy, J.J. Abrams should shepherd the DCEU as Kevin Feige has for Marvel. Establish a writers room that includes talent from the comic/animated realm, such as Brian Michael Bendis & Joe Quesada were involved in the story development for multiple Phase 1 MCU films. Use post-credit scenes to bridge the gaps, or even short films (similar to One-Shots) hosted on HBO Max.

Now for the fun part! Below I’ve included fan casting & directorial picks for each respective Leaguer’s film franchise (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, & Aquaman) in addition to New Gods, JL Dark, & Black Adam (featuring the JSA):

images

Superman Saga
directed by James Mangold

Superman: Nicholas Hoult, 30
Supergirl: Elle Fanning, 21
Steel: Aldis Hodge, 32

daily planet.
Lois Lane: Margaret Qualley, 25
Jimmy Olsen: Justice Smith, 24
Perry White: Jimmy Smits, 64
Ron Troupe: Brian d'Arcy James, 51
Steve Lombard: Isaiah Mustafa, 46
Cat Grant: Nasim Pedrad, 38

lexcorp.
Lex Luthor: Matt Damon, 49
Mercy Graves: Jodie Turner-Smith, 33
Dabney Donovan: Jackie Earle Haley, 58

villains.
Brainiac: Rami Malek, 38
Parasite: Jesse Plemons, 32
Metallo: Charlie Hunnam, 40
Toyman: Rainn Wilson, 54
Livewire: Julia Garner, 26

metropolis organized crime.
Bruno ‘Ugly’ Mannheim: Ray Liotta, 65
Morgan Edge: Wes Bentley, 41
Bobby Gazzo: Giovanni Ribisi, 45

major crimes unit.
Maggie Sawyer: Julianne Nicholson, 48
Det. Dan Turpin: Nick Offerman, 49

smallville.
Jonathan Kent: Steve Carell, 57
Martha Kent: Laura Linney, 56
Pete Ross: Lewis Pullman, 27
Lana Lang: Analeigh Tipton, 31

krypton.
Jor-El: Matthew Rhys, 45
Lara-El: Catriona Balfe, 40

additional characters.
Dr. Emil Hamilton: Dylan Baker, 60
Bibbo Bibbowski: Ethan Suplee, 43
General Sam Lane: Gary Sinise, 65

images

The Batman Saga
directed by Matt Reeves

bat family.
Bruce Wayne: Robert Pattinson, 33
Alfred Pennyworth: Andy Serkis, 55
Dick Grayson: Levi Miller, 17
Barbara Gordon: Taylor Russell, 25
Leslie Thompkins: Melissa Leo, 59

gcpd.
Commissioner Loeb: Glynn Turman, 73
Capt. Jim Gordon: Jeffrey Wright, 54
Lt. Sarah Essen: Kelly Reilly, 42
Det. Arnold Flass: Marc Menchaca, 44
Det. Harvey Bullock: Brian Geraghty, 44

rogues.
Selina Kyle: Zoe Kravitz, 31
Riddler: Paul Dano, 35
Bane: Édgar Ramírez, 43
Poison Ivy: Jodie Comer, 27
Mr. Freeze: Lance Reddick, 57
Hush: James Norton, 34
Scarecrow: Domhnall Gleeson, 36
Mad Hatter: Jason Schwartzman, 39
Arnold Welker: Bradley Whitford, 60
Harvey Dent: Oscar Isaac, 41
Joker: Adam Driver, 36

gotham mob.
Oswald Cobblepot: Colin Farrell, 43
Carmine Falcone: John Turturro, 63
Sofia Falcone Gigante: Gina Carano, 38
Sal Maroni: Giancarlo Esposito, 61
Rupert Thorne: Jason Clarke, 53
Eddie Skeevers: Andre Royo, 51
Tony Zucco: Paul Walter Hauser, 33

league of assassins.
Ra’s al Ghul: Rufus Sewell, 52
Talia al Ghul: Shiva Negar, 37

additional.
Lucius Fox: Courtney B. Vance, 60
Andrea Beaumont: Haley Bennett, 32
Holly: Odeya Rush, 22
Dr. Jeremiah Arkham / Hugo Strange: Guy Pearce, 52
P.I. Slam Bradley: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, 53
Martha Wayne: Vera Farmiga, 46
Dr. Thomas Wayne: Jeremy Strong, 41

images

Wonder Woman Saga
directed by Niki Caro

Wonder Woman: Ana de Armas, 31

argus.
Steve Trevor: Michael B. Jordan, 33
King Faraday: John Slattery, 57
Maxwell Lord: Hugh Dancy, 44
Amanda Waller: Viola Davis, 54

paradise island.
Hippolyta: Catherine Zeta-Jones, 50
Phillipus: Sydelle Noel, 34
Artemis: Vanessa Kirby, 32

villains.
Circe: Thandie Newton, 39
Vandal Savage: Bradley Cooper, 45
Paula von Gunther: Rebecca Ferguson, 36
Veronica Cale: Julia Roberts, 52
Dr. Psycho: Peter Dinklage, 50
Felix Faust: Omid Abtahi, 40
Giganta: Alice Eve, 38

gods.
Zeus: Sean Bean, 61
Hera: Diane Kruger, 41
Ares: Taron Egerton, 30
Hephaestus: Jermaine Clement, 46
Hermes: Mena Massoud, 28

additional.
Etta Candy: Sarah Baker, 29
Dr. Helena Sandsmark: Toni Collette, 41
Cassie Sandsmark: Joey King, 20
Ferdinand: John C. Reilly, 54

images

Green Lantern Corp Saga
directed by J.J. Abrams

John Stewart: Stephan James, 26
Hal Jordan: Tom Cruise, 53

additional earth lanterns.
Guy Gardner: Zac Efron, 30
Jessica Cruz: Allegra Acosta, 17

supporting lanterns.
Katma Tui: Jessica Henwick, 27
Tomar-Re: Dev Patel, 29
Kilowog: Gerard Butler, 50
Green Man: Simon Pegg, 50

guardians.
Ganthet: Sir Patrick Stewart, 79
Sayd: Sigourney Weaver, 70

villains.
Sinestro: Kevin Bacon, 61
Mongol: Luke Evans, 41
Kanjar-Ro: Michael K. Williams, 53
Atrocitus: Michael Jai White, 52
William Hand: Michael Sheen, 51

supporting.
Carol Ferris: Keri Russell, 44
Carl Ferris: Martin Sheen, 79
Lobo: Joe Manganiello, 43
Abin Sur: Daniel Dae Kim, 51

images

The Flash Saga
directed by Andy Muschietti

flash family.
Barry Allen: Joe Alwyn, 28
Wally West: Jaeden Martell, 17
Jay Garrick: Kevin Kline, 72

rogues.
Eobard Thawne: Jessica Chastain, 43
Captain Cold: Channing Tatum, 39
Mirror Master: Manny Montana, 36
Weather Wizard: Peter Serafinowicz, 47
Trickster: Billy Magnussen, 35

gorilla city.
Gorilla Grodd: Jared Harris, 58
Solovar: Kelsey Grammer, 65

additional.
Iris West: Shailene Woodley, 28
Henry Allen: Greg Kinnear, 56
Nora Allen: Laura Dern, 53
Det. John Jones: Jovan Adepo, 32
Dr. T.O. Morrow: Stephen Root, 68

images

Aquaman Saga
directed by James Wan

King Arthur: Jason Momoa, 40
Kaldur'ahm: Jaden Smith, 21

atlantis.
Mera: Deborah Ann Woll, 35
Wyynde: Booboo Stewart, 25
Queen Atlanna: Nicole Kidman, 52
Vulko: Willem Dafoe, 64

villains.
Ocean Master: Patrick Wilson, 46
Black Manta: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, 33
Gamemnae: Sandra Bullock, 55
Rama Khan: Marwan Kenzari, 37
King Shark: Terry Notary, 51

additional.
King Nereus: Dolph Lundgren, 62
Thomas Curry: Temuera Morrison, 59
Dr. Stephen Shin: Randall Park, 46
Doctor Fate: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, 49
Inza: Dichen Lachman, 38

images

New Gods of the Fourth World saga
directed by Ava Duvernay

Miracle Man: Dylan O’Brien, 28
Barda: Laura Harrier, 30

new genesis.
Orion: Winston Duke, 33
Lightray: Liam Hemsworth, 30
Forager: Viveik Kalra, 22
Bekka: Rooney Mara, 35
Highfather: Viggo Mortensen, 61

forever people.
Mark Moonrider: Forrest Goodluck, 21
Beautiful Dreamer: Ella Purnell, 23
Big Bear: Noah Centineo, 23
Serifana: Yara Shahidi, 20
Vykin: Jharrel Jerome, 22

apokolips.
Lashina: Sofia Boutella, 38
Mad Harriet: Samara Weaving, 28
Stompa: Cynthia Erivo, 33
Granny Goodness: Kathy Bates, 71
Glorious Godfrey: Justin Theroux, 48
Kalibak: Trevante Rhodes, 30
Darkseid: Idris Elba, 47

additional.
Oberon: Martin Klebba, 50
Metron: Billy Porter, 50

images

Black Adam and Shazam Saga
directed by Jaume Collet-Serra & David Sandberg

Black Adam: Dwayne Johnson, 47
Adrianna: Priyanka Chopra, 37

jsa (prologue).
Wizard Shazam: Djimon Hounsou, 55
Jay Garrick: Scott Eastwood, 34
Alan Grant: Benjamin Walker, 37

jsa (present).
Hawkman: Luke Bracey, 30
Hawkgirl: Naomi Scott, 26
Atom Smasher: Diego Boneta, 29
Cyclone: Sophie Turner, 24

shazam family.
Billy Batson: Zachary Levi, 39
Freddy Freeman: Adam Brody, 40
Mary Marvel: Michelle Borth, 41
Eugene: Ross Butler, 29
Pedro: D.J. Cotrona, 39
Darla: Meagan Good, 38

villains.
Doctor Sivanna: Mark Strong, 56
Mister Mind: Christoph Waltz, 63
Sabbac: Alexander Skarsgård, 43

additional.
Tawky Tawny: Nonso Anozie, 41

images

Justice League Dark series
directed by J.J Abrams & Julius Avery

core team.
Madame Xanadu: Sandra Oh, 48
John Constantine: Oliver Jackson-Cohen, 33
Zatanna: Alicia Vikander, 31
Jason Blood: David Oyelowo, 44
Deadman: Caleb Landry Jones, 30
Swamp Thing: Liev Schreiber, 52

notable supporting.
Zauriel: Glen Powell, 35
Detective Chimp: Tim Blake Nelson, 55
The Spectre: Michael C. Hall, 49
Inza: Dichen Lachman, 38
Zatara: Elias Koteas, 59

villains.
Solomon Grundy: Pablo Schreiber, 41
Klarion the Witch Boy: Asa Butterfield, 23
Doctor Destiny: Tony Dalton, 45
Morgaine le Fey: Lena Headey, 46

Last edited:
Then if you reboot the whole DCEU then you would have to reboot the whole Wonder Woman franchise as well as Superman's franchise and also start everything over from scratch which means the whole Aquaman franchise you would also have to reboot it with an entirely new cast which wouldn't work

I like it.

Although I don't think 1984 will be Gadot's last outing. Or are you assuming won't perform? Anyways, like Aquaman, I don't think they need to get rid of what works. There's no reason for it.

Also, I wouldnb't go with Hoult as Supes. I think the biggest detriment to cinematic Supes in the past couple decades is getting guys that aren't believable as..people, specifically as a guy from Kansas, and it contributes to this idea of Superman as this unrelatable guy. So, I think they really need to nail that natural aspect of the character first and foremost. Getting another Brit with an awkward bland American accent is not the solution imo. And I think getting Supes right is tantamount for wiping the slate and giving the universe a positive relaunch, or rebirth as you call it,

I like it.

Although I don't think 1984 will be Gadot's last outing. Or are you assuming won't perform? Anyways, like Aquaman, I don't think they need to get rid of what works. There's no reason for it.

Also, I wouldnb't go with Hoult as Supes. I think the biggest detriment to cinematic Supes in the past couple decades is getting guys that aren't believable as..people, specifically as a guy from Kansas, and it contributes to this idea of Superman as this unrelatable guy. So, I think they really need to nail that natural aspect of the character first and foremost. Getting another Brit with an awkward bland American accent is not the solution imo. And I think getting Supes right is tantamount for wiping the slate and giving the universe a positive relaunch, or rebirth as you call it,
Brandon Routh was literally a guy from Iowa, a state near Kansas from a middle class family.

Brandon Routh was literally a guy from Iowa, a state near Kansas from a middle class family.

Yeah but in Superman Returns, with the blue contacts, the awkward spit curl, and his robotic personality, he didn't seem very real to me. Looked more like a Superman doll brought to life.

He was pretty good in the CW version though. Ironically, Supes doesn't have this issue on TV, between him, Hoechlin, and Welling. But that's a niche audience. For the wider audience, I still feel Supes has an image problem, and I don't think someone like Hoult will do anything to fix it.

I like it.

True, I’m probably jumping the gun on Wonder Woman. That being said, I’m unsure how WW84 will perform—it’s possible with the world pandemic and with the multiple shifts in release date (and it’s possibly this will all lead to an eventual HBOMax release), that the BO won’t be as big as it was in 2017.

And, as I mentioned, look no further than Batman or Spider-Man when it comes to recast. Will people miss Gal Gadot? Possibly, but I think the prospect of a new WW reboot is also enticing. People were mad about Henry Cavill, remember, but just as many (if not more) excited at the prospect of ‘fixing’ Superman.

Fair enough about Hoult—I do find him charming and think that he can be endearing in the role, but I understand he’s been divisive in these threads as a potential pick. I find he’s a much better actor than many of other choices tossed around, but of course there’s unlimited potential in casting unknown. Hoult’s new show with Elle Fanning looks promising, and I still think there’s something to be said that he was WB’s #2 for Batman.

You’re right, I do think casting for Superman is essential. But Henry Cavill was visually well cast in a poor interpretation of the character. And Brandon Routh seemed great in his limited capacity—again, it was the material that failed the character. I don’t think casting Superman has any higher stakes than the next CBM headliner, it’s just about getting the film itself right. I think Mangold would deliver a stellar Superman story.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’ll probably go to David Corenswet next. If he beefs up he’ll look perfect

Yes, Corenswet seems to be the recurring favorite across SHH. Arnie Hammer would have been another great choice too but he’s been sour on CBMs in general.

Dude is 6’4, looks the part, and best of all... he’s American

Cavill’s American accent was horrible

Rebooting Wonder Woman but not Harley Quinn feels strange given their box office trajectories. Also, we still gotta see how Niki Caro's Mulan goes; I've heard some pretty mixed things on it.
I like the idea a lot though, but it makes too much sense for WB executives. We'll probably just get an Ezra Flash film that tanks harder than Dark Phoenix and then that IP gets shunted to the CW.

If you're gonna reboot, just reboot entirely. This patchwork approach of retcons and recasts sounds like a nightmare

Just wait out the current iterations and start anew in the 2030's with a new Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman etc

If you're gonna reboot, just reboot entirely. This patchwork approach of retcons and recasts sounds like a nightmare

Just wait out the current iterations and start anew in the 2030's with a new Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman etc
Considering that I'm already starting to think it'll be the 2030s before we see Superman in any meaningful capacity in a live-action movie again, that's probably inevitable.

Exactly if you are going to retcon events like it has never happened and you are gonna recast parts to reboot the whole DCEU, then you may as well start from scratch and recast every single hero in the universe including Batman also which means you would have to get rid of Pattinson and start from scratch yet again. Warner Brothers I am sure do not want to do that because it would cost them even more money in revenue but also the shared universe simply just would not work. I mean it still can but only if DC had a figure head like Marvel has Feige and WB didn't interfere with said productions which is why certain movies have failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"