DCEU's future

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
Considering we have these films well to start off with:

Man of Steel (2013)
Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Suicide Squad (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Justice League (2017)

And since we are getting future films such as:

Aquaman
Gotham City: Sirens
Suicide Squad 2
Shazam
Batman solo
Flash solo
Cyborg solo
Green Lantern solo

I wonder if we could see any other heroes in the DCEU being brought on to the big screen in terms of future solo films that can carry on into future franchises? Which other heroes should be brought into the DCEU?

I wonder if we could see any other heroes in the DCEU being brought on to the big screen in terms of future solo films that can carry on into future franchises? Which other heroes should be brought into the DCEU?

We really, really need to see Swamp Thing again, in a proper duology/trilogy that brings the legendary Wein-Wrightson arc and the groundbreaking Moore-Bissette-Totleben-Veitch run to the screen.

Future? Are you kidding? We don't know what we're going to be getting in the future. As far as I'm concerned, the DCEU has been an unmitigated failure.

Game over, man. Game over.

Well, Marvel beat DC to the punch when it comes to Doctor Fate and The Atom, although Doctor Fate is the superior character (if just visually) IMO. I'd still like to see them.

The Martian is obvious. The Hawks, though, I wonder if they'd have a more successful run as a film franchise than they've had in the comics...do you go with the reincarnated Egyptian lovers route or the space-cop Thanagar route?

Well, Marvel beat DC to the punch when it comes to Doctor Fate and The Atom, although Doctor Fate is the superior character (if just visually) IMO. I'd still like to see them.

The Martian is obvious. The Hawks, though, I wonder if they'd have a more successful run as a film franchise than they've had in the comics...do you go with the reincarnated Egyptian lovers route or the space-cop Thanagar route?

It has to be a Hawkworld film. Full-on sci-fi superheroes. I think it would be a hit.

Doctor Strange and Ant-Man don't mean Doctor Fate and the Atom can never show up. But DC has many other characters I'd like to see first, like Swampy. Animal Man, too.

To me it's funny to see DC planning a Suicide Squad 2 but not a Man of Steel 2.

All I really want out of DC is a great Green Lantern Corps movie. We deserve that after the hideous ****-up WB puked out in 2011. I don't care if the lead is Hal or John or whoever, so long as the Corps gets sent on an epic space adventure. And please, for the love of Oa, don't jump right into Parallax or the Black Lanterns or any of that dark-n-gritty nonsense straight off. Give us the wonder before taking a dive into the muck.

Well Suicide Squad, whether you like it or not, made far more money than MOS on a lesser budget and had a more diverse audience as well. Of course it's getting a sequel!

Well Suicide Squad, whether you like it or not, made far more money than MOS on a lesser budget and had a more diverse audience as well. Of course it's getting a sequel!

Strange how things work out but at the end of the day yes, that's what happened.

If they can get their Lantern Corps film off the ground, then there's some huge potential to set up a series of space opera films featuring characters, both good and bad, from the respective Lantern Corps - and they don't even need to involve or include Earth if they didn't want too. Such a film series (could) work much in the same was as Marvel's Guardian of the Galaxy.

Alternatively, if the focus is Earth, and more importantly, the Jutice League, they're going to have to include the Martian Manhunter and the Hawks at some point, although I would think, keeping in theme with the mythological nature, if (and/or when) they do get around to doing the Hawks, they've further got an opportunity to include or involve Black Adam. May be worth a visit.

Either way, short of the current in-production or to-be-released films, they should halt all other projects until they've filmed, produced and released both a Batman solo and a Man of Steel sequel; I think we need both of these before we start concerning ourselves with any other characters, especially if they're intending to expand the DCEU whilst maintaining a focus on the Justice League itself.

Alternatively, if the focus is Earth, and more importantly, the Jutice League, they're going to have to include the Martian Manhunter and the Hawks at some point,

No they don't

No they don't
Okay, they don't need too, but they would be wise to do so. There is an incarnation of the Justice League where these characters were founding members - to leave them out entirely will alienate, or at the very least, irritate some filmgoers.

The near future of the DCFU is women, and that’s a very good thing.

The near future of the DCFU is women, and that’s a very good thing.

I've heard a lot of people say that the success of their female leads (WW/HQ) and how they've resonated with audiences is the DCEU's trump card atm. They're obviously keen to push WW (the marketing of JL showed that), and from the rumours we keep hearing they seem committed to Harley too. Obviously the Batgirl movie took a knockback but I hope it's temporary as I think that could be another surprise hit. From a personal standpoint I want to see Hawkgirl (just because I fell in love with her in JL/JLU) and Supergirl.

Okay, they don't need too, but they would be wise to do so. There is an incarnation of the Justice League where these characters were founding members - to leave them out entirely will alienate, or at the very least, irritate some filmgoers.

nah, those characters don't fit the MCU formula and enough people care that you can't make them fit it, thus hamstringing its success. DC shouldn't waste time on standalone origin movies for those characters.

They should look to find characters that are charming and charismatic but start off as apathetic to the worlds problems, like Iron Man, Spider-man, Dr. Strange, Ant-man, or Black Panther. Or find characters that no one gives a **** about and mold them into said character.

nah, those characters don't fit the MCU formula and enough people care that you can't make them fit it, thus hamstringing its success. DC shouldn't waste time on standalone origin movies for those characters.
Because the current characters have worked really well, haven't they? I've seen numerous people say that the DCEU Superman is dull, or that Cyborg is boring.

If they're doing a Black Adam story (regardless of whether that involves Shazam or Superman) then that's going to be a good use of myth and magic, which is where a Hawk origin would relish. I suspect here that it's simply you that don't care for the characters such as Manhunter and the Hawks, and that's cool; your opinion is valid, as is that of everyone else, but to say these characters aren't needed or don't fit is a little ... arrogant?

Any character can be moulded to fit into a specific theme; you only need to think about how many incarnations of Superman (and his ever fluctuating abilities) to see how that can, or will work on the big screen.

I've heard a lot of people say that the success of their female leads (WW/HQ) and how they've resonated with audiences is the DCEU's trump card atm. They're obviously keen to push WW (the marketing of JL showed that), and from the rumours we keep hearing they seem committed to Harley too. Obviously the Batgirl movie took a knockback but I hope it's temporary as I think that could be another surprise hit. From a personal standpoint I want to see Hawkgirl (just because I fell in love with her in JL/JLU) and Supergirl.

That one trump card is going to go right out of the window about March time.

That one trump card is going to go right out of the window about March time.

I don't see Captain Marvel's reception (take it that's what you mean) affecting WW2 or anything featuring Harley Quinn.

Because the current characters have worked really well, haven't they? I've seen numerous people say that the DCEU Superman is dull, or that Cyborg is boring.
I'm a staunch supporter of the DCEU iterations of the characters, but to find future success DC needs to adopt the MCU formula

If they're doing a Black Adam story (regardless of whether that involves Shazam or Superman) then that's going to be a good use of myth and magic, which is where a Hawk origin would relish. I suspect here that it's simply you that don't care for the characters such as Manhunter and the Hawks, and that's cool; your opinion is valid, as is that of everyone else, but to say these characters aren't needed or don't fit is a little ... arrogant?

No I like these characters. Which is why they need to be passed over so that DC can look to find characters that are charming and charismatic but start off as apathetic to the worlds problems, like Iron Man, Spider-man, Dr. Strange, Ant-man, or Black Panther. Or find characters that no one gives a **** about and mold them into said character

Any character can be moulded to fit into a specific theme; you only need to think about how many incarnations of Superman (and his ever fluctuating abilities) to see how that can, or will work on the big screen.

those characters don't fit the MCU formula and enough people care about those characters that you can't make them fit the formula without alienating the fans

I'm a staunch supporter of the DCEU iterations of the characters, but to find future success DC needs to adopt the MCU formula.
No, they don't. DC need to build on their own thing.

Strange how things work out but at the end of the day yes, that's what happened.

Suicide Squad, despite not being good, did a much better job endearing the characters to the audience than Man of Steel or Batman v. Superman did. It basically rocketed Harley Quinn to pop culture icon status

I don't see Captain Marvel's reception (take it that's what you mean) affecting WW2 or anything featuring Harley Quinn.

It’ll remove any kudos WB have about being the main company making female centric superhero movies. That trump card they have will no longer be one when Captain Marvel comes out and goes over one billion.

WB can’t rely on the goodwill of being ‘woke’. They need to make some decent movies, whatever the cultural relevance.

Suicide Squad, despite not being good, did a much better job endearing the characters to the audience than Man of Steel or Batman v. Superman did. It basically rocketed Harley Quinn to pop culture icon status

And yet.... no sign that Margot Robbie is returning to the character any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"