Wii Dead Space Announced

Reaction score
http://kotaku.com/5145788/dead-space-wii-announced

During Electronic Arts' Q3 2009 earnings call earlier today, boss John Riccitiello mentioned a Wii game we'd previously not heard about. That game was Dead Space Wii.

It's due out later this year, and is part of a plan from EA to bring a more "core" experiece to the Wii. Riccitiello promises that, despite the technical limitations of the console, everything that made the 360/PS3/PC version so creepy will be there on the Wii.

Want to know more? Sorry. Being a one-sentence mention on a conference call, and not a proper product announcement, that's all we've got at the moment.

If its going to the Wii, Im surprised there isnt a PS2 version

Why must the Wii destroy the things I love?

Not many seem to care for this, but I thought I post it anyway.

TGS 09: Launch Trailer

[YT]5KrlFYhU2MY[/YT]

Dead Space: Extraction Review

[YT]5kM0dbgpBqw[/YT]​

Frankenreview: Dead Space Extraction
By Mike Fahey, 12:30 PM on Tue Oct 6 2009

Light is shed on the events leading up to the original game in Dead Space Extraction, the rail-shooter prequel to EA's Dead Space.

When a major Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 title makes the trip to the Nintendo Wii, you generally expect a watered-down version of the original game. Not so with Dead Space Extraction, which presents an entirely new chapter in the sci-fi survival horror experience, complimenting the original game rather than simply aping it. Trading in the third-person shooter gameplay of the original title, Extraction capitalizes on the Wii's strengths, delivering on on-rails shooter experience that heightens the tension by wresting control from the player.

Is Dead Space Extraction a worthy entry in the series, or did Wii owners get the short end of the remote again?

Giant Bomb
I almost feel like I need to offer apologies or excuses while recommending Dead Space Extraction, EA's Wii follow-up to last year's breakout original sci-fi horror shooter. Extraction's marketing campaign would like you to think of it as a "guided experience" that whisks you through the dramatic beginnings of the series' horrible space-monster outbreak, but in blunt terms, Extraction is an on-rails shooter. Blunter still: it's a light-gun game. These days, that's not a style of game serious game players usually gravitate toward. But keeping the genre's inherent restrictions in mind—not to mention the limitations of the Wii hardware—Extraction is really pretty good, for what it is.

Game Informer
Dead Space: Extraction runs on rails, pulling the player forward at a scripted pace. Developer Visceral Games did a commendable job of making this experience feel more organic. Shaky cameras constantly distort your field of view, and you can hear your character's labored breathing. As intended, the bobbing camera combined with dancing shadows plays tricks on your eyes, and can lead to a few shots being fired *at *nothing.

Eurogamer
One area that definitely benefits from the on-rails nature of Extraction is the overall pacing. Sometimes you creep along agonisingly, other times it feels like the enemy onslaught is never going to end. There are few occasions where you don't come away feeling like your scraped through by the skin of your teeth, and even on the game's lowest 'Normal' difficulty, there's a definite sense of achievement when you get through.

Extreme Gamer
The controls in the game are perfectly matched for what the Visceral was trying to get acrossed. The Wii-mote and nunchuck are required unless you are going to use the Wii Zapper. Reloading the weapons, using your suits powers and melee attacks are all balanced out perfectly and the controls never get in the way of the action. The game slides you through all the different ways you'll be using the controllers and eases you into the game without any confusion. It's good to see a developer really think about the controls in a Wii game and how they can be immersive to the in-game situations and not just a gimmick, or a borrowed scheme from an already proven game.

The Onion A.V. Club
The characters often fall into horror-movie tropes. There's the hardened security officer, the shady guy who won't tell you why he's there, and the scared woman mourning her recently deceased boyfriend. The game controls your movement and facing, so you often have to grab items as soon as you see them, or miss the opportunity. Events are often timed, which is frustrating when you have to spot a creature's weakness and determine the best way to exploit it within a few seconds. At least the time issues become easier in co-op mode.

Kotaku
Dead Space Extraction is not just a light-gun shooter. It's not just an on-rails game. It's an adventure as exciting as anything I've played in a while. If players can stand the brevity and don't mind something else controlling their hero's legs, it's well worth playing. The game presents a model, like tennis in Wii Sports, of how to get a whole lot more out of a simplified user set-up. I can imagine some gamers - and some potential gamers - who wouldn't have the skills to have a fun time in the original Dead Space. They'd have ample skill to get through Extraction and might even have a better experience doing so.

Last edited:
I care :(

I didn't much at first, but I keep hearing so much good about it. I plan to rent it whenever I get some time freed up

I bought it yesterday. Its okay, too muchy talky for co-op though, and hard to get into after Umbrella Chronicles.

What do you mean by the latter part?

Well Umbrella Chronicles has slow, meaty enemies that you get a long time to takedown. With Dead Space, enemies zip around the screen, but your field of vision goes from enemy to enemy very quickly. Its more fast paced, but needs you adjusting to it before you can call it more fun too.

Hmm, interesting. That was actually one of my problems with UC. I felt it was a little too slow. Hopefully DS:E isn't too hard to adjust to or anything

Interesting! I'm sharing them with your kindness:)
clear.gif

So, apparantly this game was a complete and utter failure. It sold a mere 9,200 copies in September. Of course it was only out for 9 days in September, but something tells me that it won't do much better this month either.

This news combined with the fact that sales of the original Dead Space failed to meet expectations says to me that we probably won't be seeing anymore games in the series. Which is a real shame because not only have they reviewed really well, but it's obvious that a genuine love for sci-fi and horror went into making these games.

Dead Space didn't fail to meet expectation, it did better than EA was exacting it to actually. And a sequel as been somewhat confirmed, though not officially announced, yet. I mean the original game sold 1 million+ copies, which granted isn't blockbuster numbers or anything, but it's at least sequel worthy numbers

Sources: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176286 and http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57075

As far as this game not doing well, I'm not too surprised. This type of thing just isn't something that sells on the Wii without a tired and true franchise connection. Plus, it was a rail shooter, so I think that hurt its appeal to a degree. I still plan to pick it up eventually

That first link I had no idea about, but it's definately great to hear Dead Space 2 is on the table as I loved the first one. The second link is especially interesting...

That Shacknews article you posted was from February of this year. Check this out:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21573

That's from last December pre-Christmas. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge sold a ton during the weekend or two after that was posted but before Christmas to push each over the million-seller line. Mirror's Edge in particular had to sell over 900,000 copies.

I was actually surprised to see that ME had apparently passed the million mark to, since I remember it selling pretty low initially.

So, apparantly this game was a complete and utter failure. It sold a mere 9,200 copies in September. Of course it was only out for 9 days in September, but something tells me that it won't do much better this month either.

This news combined with the fact that sales of the original Dead Space failed to meet expectations says to me that we probably won't be seeing anymore games in the series. Which is a real shame because not only have they reviewed really well, but it's obvious that a genuine love for sci-fi and horror went into making these games.
First week sales tend to be a game's biggest and about 9,000 isnt good at all. Third party games dont tend to do that well on Nintendo platform, especially ones geared towards a mature audience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"